High School Student- Looking For More Info About Lighting As A Career

Hi! I'm a sophomore in high school, and after watching numerous videos of EDC and Beyond Wonderland, I've become fascinated with lighting and how it's programmed to look so amazing. So I started trying to do research, and I couldn't find anything...But Luckily I've found this website!!!!

So basically I know for a fact, I want to major in Computer Science, there are no ifs ands or buts about it. I know for a fact I want to. But I was wondering if it's possible from that to flow over into the lighting aspect of things. Like programming the lights to come up a certain way, and stuff like that. I did a programming project last semester in math, and I absolutely loved it :D. I found it fun and challenging, and rewarding in the end. I've seen websites where people have careers working for Disney world and concerts of famous artist. And It seems like those people get a hefty amount for their work. Which I found surprising. Any who, I'm seriously looking into a career, and would love more info, and to have some questions answered. But my main one for right now is can a degree in computer science help me in a lighting career? Because I know my family wants me to at least major in that so I have a back up plan.

And as for getting experience in high school. It's almost impossible I think for me to get into the control booth and learn, because there is person who is already trained to run it, and when she graduates next year, there is already someone in line to take her place. My Drama teacher has offered me to come and check it out, so I will go and see him to see if I there is room for me to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for the reply! Im looking at the univeristy of south Carolina. In Columbia. After reading your reply I'm sort of scared now about taking that path (not gonna lie). I'm not sure about how many good local theatres are around my college of choice, so I can go intern. When I come out of college will I be looking at money being tight when I come out? And is there any certian degree you must have so people will want to hire you?

Well...I'm just looking for a career where I won't be sitting at a desk just coding. And I can't travel or meet new people. I was literally considering going to work for the gov like my mom and then I stepped back and looked at the bigger picture. Columbia is a really big metro area. So I'm pretty sure there are a lot of different theatres. The girl with the major, was it just her luck or did she know the right people or is she really good?she seems like the type of person I want to model. There's a girl who recently graduated from my high school, and she's doing amazing things. What kind of traits does one need to be in such a career? ( if im bugging you with all the questions I apologize)

That is exactly the career I want . Where its constantly keeping me awake and challenging me. That girl sounds a lot like one from my school, and i can see myself being her. The only thing I see getting in my way is my family constantly questioning me about when I'll get a real job.As soon as I graduate I'm hoping to move back to my native home of Washington d.c and maryland, and I know there are plenty of oppurtunties up there. So I'm guessing that after a few years of working theatre you can move onto other things? Like amusement parks or concerts right? And I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but if my college of choice has a drama program, is there a pretty good chance there will be lighting classes? I will seriously consider going to the fine arts center next year for lighting, like some if the.other techs have done.

That is exactly the career I want . Where its constantly keeping me awake and challenging me. That girl sounds a lot like one from my school, and i can see myself being her. The only thing I see getting in my way is my family constantly questioning me about when I'll get a real job.As soon as I graduate I'm hoping to move back to my native home of Washington d.c and maryland, and I know there are plenty of oppurtunties up there. So I'm guessing that after a few years of working theatre you can move onto other things? Like amusement parks or concerts right? And I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but if my college of choice has a drama program, is there a pretty good chance there will be lighting classes? I will seriously consider going to the fine arts center next year for lighting, like some if the.other techs have done.

Read these threads.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ment/26935-portfolio-advice-college-debt.html
Getting a Job in the Industry - ControlBooth
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ant-your-college-degree-your-career-path.html

And most importantly this: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...-recommendations-about-college-education.html

If you want to be a computer programmer, be a computer programmer. Unfortunately, unless you are going to put everything into this industry its not for you. You are not going to become rich. You are not going to ever have a stable job. Retirement plans are nearly non-existent. Just last week I went to the dentist with insurance for the first time in 4 years. The hours suck. If your family is not in the business, odds are your family life will be non-existent. Making friends outside of the business is nearly impossible.

I do love my job. My life works very well but it took a lot of molding to make that happen. However, both my wife and I have worked very hard to get where we are. Even at that, we still have student loans to pay off.

So, go be a computer programmer. Enjoy it. Work the 9-5. Let someone who really wants a career in entertainment to go get it. If you have a backup career in mind, just go do that instead.

Rarely, do I fully agree with Footer. But heres the scenario, I work when I can, That means having to ditch family, friends, fun, and sometimes sleep. I barely get by every month. While I didn't do a college degree, (only a year of college) so my debt is lower, It also means I've started early. Every tour guy and gall who has ever come through my facility says the same thing. "If you have doubts now, Get out." I'm not saying this to dissuade you, I'm telling this so you know what you're up against. The youngest I've seen out on tour in a production setting was 22 years old. She was extremely smart. She was also in the right place at the right time. Her college degree only helped her understand how to learn. It didn't prepare her for working in the industry. Just on how to learn to learn. She also knew she was never going to be home. Never gonna have a social life except for the 2-5 nights after shows with some of the local crew and the tour crew. She also knew she wasn't going to be making jack squat. Be ready for mac and cheese, Rice, and ramen every night. Don't expect to make any money to do much fun with, And if you don't love it. Get out of it. The hours will kill you if you don't enjoy your work.

I seldom agree with you DuckJordan, but you've put it perfectly this time.

Well, almost.
You can make money with the right contracts and doing install work.

Well, almost.
You can make money with the right contracts and doing install work.

That is a completely other facet to the industry as well. Most people who want the 9-5 but still want to feel a connection to the industry go this route. Money can be decent, but if its live performance you want you won't get that here. The skill sets needed to be a good installer are not exactly that that makes you a good technician and vice versa. Not saying it is not a viable or important field, it is just different.

I thank you all so much for taking the time out to reply, it's really been an eyeopener, and I'm happy I got the info before I just ran off doing it. I think, even though I don't want to sit in a desk all day and code, that's what I'll end up doing; unless I can find something more creative to do with a computer science degree. I'm just going to have to dig harder into what the hell I can do with that degree,so I don't have to sit in a desk all day, and I can travel or something.

Thank you guys so much for the insight!

I won't agree completely with Salvatore in that, I've found that many people DO care whether or not you have a degree in the field. I will amend that statement with, people don't care if you have a degree as long as you have the work experience to show you know what you're doing without one. BUT the degree goes a long way to give you credibility. Same thing though, even if you have it, you'll likely have to back it up with proof you know what you're doing and haven't just been in school for ever without learning the craft practically.

Expect to be poor. That's the best route to go, that way when you get a well paying job (if you get one) you'll be pleasantly surprised at how great things are at the moment. There are also options like teaching, which surprisingly at least in my case have proven to be a huge change in my life and I'm (still poor) rich and living comfortably compared to where I was a year ago (though still not rolling in dough).

The best advice I can give which has helped me get through is to learn as much as you can about everything. I've been able to turn one lighting job into more because I can also build a set, or also fix their bad computer. If you have multiple skill sets you can sometimes turn a part time or one off job into something more permanent, and you're more marketable. Just stuff to keep in mind to maximize your success.

Maybe being a programmer or a moving light tech (if you can get the skills) would be something you'd like, its computery and you could get on a tour potentially and get some travel. I've got a friend right now who learned movers and electrical, got his first job as an electrician on a national tour, ME'd a second national tour, just loaded in America's Got Talent last week and this week assembled the set for SNL's Weekend Update, so he's gotten around.

I can assure you that there are many creative things that you can do with a degree in computer science. If you are, in fact, creative, pretty much any degree will just give you news sets of skills with which to harness your creativity. For examples of people doing creative stuff with computer science degrees I would point you to the website of the MIT Media Lab or pretty much any of the programmers who are working on the most interesting interactive and generative projections and multi-media work. I can assure you that the team working on the projections for the Ring Cycle at the met included at least a handful of CS degrees. That being said, the people who are doing the design work itself almost always have some sort of degree in visual art be it theatre design or otherwise.

One major advantage of theatre design programs that many of the posters have omitted is that fact that, in an industry that is largely driven by connections, these sorts of programs often have a lot of built in connections. I have gotten work through my professors and peers and, in general, the connections made during the pursuit of a theatre design degree can be invaluable in jumpstarting one's career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back