High School TD's

Does your HS have a TD to manage the stage?

• Total voters
"yes (s)he is a member of teaching staff however knows nothing of tech" I am the head tech dude and I am a student. to put it simply

I fill out oder forms and work out what we are getting he signs the form.
He signs for delivery. I unpack and set up and use the thing

at my school we have a faculty "tech advisor" who all he is good for is watching out and making sure that we don't do something stupid/dangerous he isn't much good for design issues. then for every show our drama board interveiws and selects a student TD. however, i have been the TD for the last two shows and for the one that we are working on. so i would count that as student TD.

Combining the poll results with the comments of some who apparently did not vote it seems like there are quite a few student TDs and/or faculty and staff TDs with limited relevant background. I think it's important to try to get out of this how to most effectively potentially assist people in those positions, so knowing the processes and resources those in such situations use could help with that.

So for the student TDs, how do y'all learn? Do students pass what they know on to new students? Do you teach yourself and if so, how? Do you get experience and information from sources such as productions or classes outside school? Is there any 'quality control' on what is 'taught' or passed down?

Sort of the same questions for faculty or staff TDs with limited relevant background or education, how do you try to gain relevant knowledge and experience? Do you use and try to learn from more experienced volunteers? Does the school support efforts to increase your knowledge outside the school?

So I feel like my high school is pretty lucky, we have been very lucky in having our past 3 TDs come from the industry and who actually know what they are doing. I have been working on Crew since 8th Grade and I love it, and I believe the reason for staying with it is the experience of our TDs throughout the years.

Combining the poll results with the comments of some who apparently did not vote it seems like there are quite a few student TDs and/or faculty and staff TDs with limited relevant background. I think it's important to try to get out of this how to most effectively potentially assist people in those positions, so knowing the processes and resources those in such situations use could help with that.

So for the student TDs, how do y'all learn? Do students pass what they know on to new students? Do you teach yourself and if so, how? Do you get experience and information from sources such as productions or classes outside school? Is there any 'quality control' on what is 'taught' or passed down?

Sort of the same questions for faculty or staff TDs with limited relevant background or education, how do you try to gain relevant knowledge and experience? Do you use and try to learn from more experienced volunteers? Does the school support efforts to increase your knowledge outside the school?

How do I learn? Well I have no life and sit on the computer up to 12 hours a day, googling, reading manuals, reading forums, watching videos.

At school I experiment, and liase with EVERY theatre technician who comes in to repair, quote or install. I try and get to talk with the technicians at other complexes.

Well, as I said earlier, we do have a guy who is a TD of sorts, but he's more of a Venue Manager I guess and has limited technical knowledge of things out side of set building.

We also have a year-long position as the Student TD of the program; however, our student TD does much of what a venue TD might do, (s)he handles ordering or documenting purchases, trains younger students, and makes sure all tech jobs are filled.

In order for me to learn things, I need to tail or harass (sounds bad, but it's important because I'm the most experienced tech not graduating) older students to learn things. That said, a lot of these things are self taught and concepts/ terminology are far between.

2 years ago when i was a freshmen we had a TD, then he quit and we haven't had one since. We also have never had hired out Stage Managers for single events besides our biggest one at the end of the year. The TD/Stage Manager at my school is the two Co-Presidents

I am the TD/Theatre Manager at a high school. (My BFA and MFA are in Technical Direction) I am neither a custodial/maintenance staff, nor am I a teacher. We have a very close relationship with the technology department, however we are a district that relies on high school student labor to do much of the computer maintenance on yearly basis as well as to work meetings, events and concerts at the school.

I didn't fit into any of the survey options :).

2 years ago when i was a freshmen we had a TD, then he quit and we haven't had one since. We also have never had hired out Stage Managers for single events besides our biggest one at the end of the year. The TD/Stage Manager at my school is the two Co-Presidents

I am the TD at my school, i'm 18 and still a student. I'm 5th gen of student TD's we train our replacement for like 2 years before we leave. my option is not on the poll.

The HS I'm nearest usually hires me out as a TD. They have a very odd chain of command.

Producer-> Auditorium Manager-> Technical Director and House Director -> Stage Manager -> LD and Sound Engineer -> Director -> Floor Manager.

It's hard because I'll be running around doing something and ask for the SM, but at the silly High School, the Floor Manger (which is technically a video broadcasting position) does the Stage Manager's job.

EDIT: It's also interesting that I'm actually a Production Designer, and the SM does the TD's job.

It's very odd, and takes a lot of getting used to. Problem is, I go back into the professional world, and then call for the wrong people again. :D

I recently took the position of TD at the high school I graduated from and the former TD became Director. He acted like he knew the world, but I have discovered that he really doesn't. Today he was explained to me what he wanted with the lights, as I looked up I realized that our entire stage is covered with strip lights and various other instruments that were all meant as front light or down light, most of which were hitting teasers or blocked by the projector screen. There was no side light or back light and there were no gels, he kept complaining that the strips the school had put in had green in them. I realized in that moment how little he had really known and finally understood why the lights always looked like crap when I was there.
High school TDs vary. Some schools do not understand the purpose of having them, some are there because they knew someone who asked them to do it, some are just volunteer teachers, some are union guys who needed a side job, and some, like me, are working their way through college. There really isn't a specific TD type you find in high schools.

As I know it, our high school's auditorium was never intended on being used as it is today when it was built. So when the school was renovated and a lighting, sound, and fly system was installed they never hired or apointed anyone to be in charge of it. Before this year, there was a group of 3 students who un-officially managed it all, and three more before them. However when I jumped on board last year (As it was Senior year for these 3), we realized and brought up some issues we were having, such as security concerns, aswell as outside, and inside, groups messing around with equipment and things going missing. So this year, starting fresh with a new group of three students, including myself, we did some renovations. Including a new sound system, lighting console and building of a booth with a donation from a local business. The schools IT worked with the engineer doing the project with what to get etc. I also know the person personally and assisted with the installation. So now after spending upwards of $10,000 I believe it was, the schools IT was put in charge of theatre's technical equipment. And now everything is kept locked up with a limited number of keys and myself and two other students are the only people in the school other then a few faculty members who are allowed to operate any of the equipment.

So all I have to say is that, I think Highschool TDs work great, as long as the faculty knows who they are and know they know what they are doing. It is so much nicer this year now that everyone knows who we are and don't need to question us every time we are doing something. Aswell as being safer and more organized.

As far as learning, I taught myself most of what I know. However the former student TDs did teach me a bit. I however have more of a desire for theatre thent hey did so I had to teach myself more because they simply didn't know. I've read over all of our manuals and installation documents. I have also worked with an audio engineer who has taught me a lot.
But mainly, I would have to say that other then just sitting down at the desks and studying the equipment we have aswell as the internet, Control Booth has taught me a lot of what I know. And I am surprised at how much I have learned in the last two years.

Heck, three years ago I didn't know what an amplifier was for in regards to passive speakers.:oops:

I voted, but I'll add to it here. I am a high school TD with a .75 contract. So, not full time, but probably more than many I suppose. I have a crew of tech students that varies from 6-10 each year. We also have a full time theater/drama director/teacher.

I come from an audio background. Degrees in Audio production and music education. So, I had all the live sound and recording stuff down. I just didn't have much of a clue about professional lighting. Had only played with DJ style FX lighting in the past and never really programmed much.

Needless to say I started reading everything I could. I also had a couple students that were VERY knowledgeable in lighting and learned a bunch from them to get me going. Once I got my head around the basics, I just kept playing with things and reading websites, forums, manuals, books, etc. Most of our shows are student designed with me and the director watching over them. I actually did my first full lighting design for a concert style show a couple weeks ago. Got good reviews from the tech side. Basic, but now I am going to start designing for the spring show. Midsummer Night's Dream...black box. Should be fun.

BJH

Re: rediculous employers ignoring saftey issues (horror story)

Newton North, the school I work for has a full-time TD as well as myself, a part time ATD. It's not all THAT uncommon.
In the 18 years that I've taught high school theatre, yours is the first I've heard of. Most TD's teach tech classes as well. It's VERY uncommon.

In the 18 years that I've taught high school theatre, yours is the first I've heard of. Most TD's teach tech classes as well. It's VERY uncommon.

I was a full time TD as well at a High School and a member of the faculty. Also, the High School I attended had a full time TD that was not on faculty.

I was a full time TD as well at a High School and a member of the faculty. Also, the High School I attended had a full time TD that was not on faculty.

My district has about 8 full time staff dedicated to the theaters, and not a single one of us teach.

My district has about 8 full time staff dedicated to the theaters, and not a single one of us teach.

Footer said:

Well, that's what I get for making a blanket statement.:eek:
What I should have said is, it's very uncommon in this part of the country.

I can think of at least 4 schools in the area who have TDs who work enough to be considered "Full-time." I don't know whether they are officially "full-time," but it does not seem unheard of to me...maybe it changes based on the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back