High School Tech Manual

If you didn't notice Dave is planning a C.B. Wiki.

I think the ultimate intro to basic tech work manual is just around the corner authored by all of us.

If anyone is really eager to get started we could start breaking the topic down into chapters to be written later once the wiki is up and running.

If you didn't notice Dave is planning a C.B. Wiki.
I think the ultimate intro to basic tech work manual is just around the corner authored by all of us.
If anyone is really eager to get started we could start breaking the topic down into chapters to be written later once the wiki is up and running.

Gaff, I agree that a formal organizational system for the wiki is going to be needed. Though it would be nice to start laying out the parts, I think someone (hint: gafftaper) should get in contact with Dave to see what his plans are, how he wants it structured, and what he wants in there, and not in there.

As an after though. The word chapters jumped out at me. It seems like from your post you are talking about more of a formal manual. My understanding is that wikis are more of a reference, that if anyone is unsure of a specific term, instrument, console, technique, they can search the wiki for information. A formal CB manual might be something interesting too, but slightly more disconnected from the wiki. Unless one wiki page were the "CB Technical Theatre Manual" which could have some type of moderator to approve all changes, to maintain its official status.

As an after though. The word chapters jumped out at me. It seems like from your post you are talking about more of a formal manual. My understanding is that wikis are more of a reference, that if anyone is unsure of a specific term, instrument, console, technique, they can search the wiki for information. A formal CB manual might be something interesting too, but slightly more disconnected from the wiki. Unless one wiki page were the "CB Technical Theatre Manual" which could have some type of moderator to approve all changes, to maintain its official status.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I section that is specifically devoted to being the ultimate intro to tech theater manual... thus the term chapters jumped out at me. I think the manual needs a little more organization and structure than your typical wiki... it could still be edited like a Wiki.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I section that is specifically devoted to being the ultimate intro to tech theater manual... thus the term chapters jumped out at me. I think the manual needs a little more organization and structure than your typical wiki... it could still be edited like a Wiki.

Yea gaff, I can really see that. Then in the "Ultimate Manual" you link to all the other pages for more information in the text. Like a footnote, only a lot bigger.

My teacher told me yesterday that I have to write down all the little bits of information about the theatres that no-one else knows, such as where the ceiling fans switch is...

At my old highschool, we all wrote a manual that is now living in the booth. We actually made two, one was a quick start (aka. if you are a faculty member who has come up to the booth to play a movie how do you do it).

Then we made a longer more detailed manual, though it could still use more work. We mainly focused on safety issues, such as emergency protocols (basic stuff, ie don't try to put out a fire bigger than a small wastebasket), a contact list of everyone who you might need to know, safety stuff (one person on a ladder, etc.), how to use the lift, inventories, and definitions. We never did much of a board tutorial. I think we did a how to turn stuff on tutorial, but we assumed that if you've gotten to the full manual you know enough to not do anything too major.

One thing I like about the way we did it was, it included a lot of humor. We stayed serious, but it was also light enough to catch the attention of even the most ADD people on the crew. I would sometimes even go through and read it just for kicks while I was waiting for people to show up for performances or something.

My teacher told me yesterday that I have to write down all the little bits of information about the theatres that no-one else knows, such as where the ceiling fans switch is...

Yea, I'm sorta supposed to do that, but instead of writing it down, it's teaching it all to a replacement, who doesn't exist... so in essence, I have no work to do. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back