High School Theatre in need of Lighting Renovations. Ideas needed!

Do ya have enough to possibly pick up some new dimming? I would imagine that having 110 circuits dimmed rather than patching to 42 would be a godsend on some level... and will also cost about the same amount as a decent sized (say 10?) package of moving lights, I would suspect. Again, this would probably be a capital type project, but honestly, at least if you get new dimmers you have a decent excuse and chance of picking up a new board, and then you can also consider things like Right Arms, I cues, Lots and bunches of scrollers, Seachangers, etc.

You do need to determine the make of patch panel. Take a picture and post it here, we can tell you. If it is an Electro-Control panel then at the bottom there should be a red line that says AM and maybe a line or two of NDs. I have never scoped these but I believe that is true nondimmed power and could be used for movers or LEDs. Take a picture of the grey box and maybe we can figure what it is.

Hey CB!
We're looking at making a presentation to the School Board to try and get some money from them, and offer to match whatever they can give us.

Thank you very much for your help guys, we very much appreciate it!

Romeo Theatre Company.

My advice:

Whatever you do, do it with the head of your theater department's involvement. A faculty member should have his/her fingerprints on this to be taken seriously.

Ask the local lighting supply companies which schools in your area have recently installed equipment that's similar to what you're looking for. Then see if you can arrange to meet with the person at the other school who oversees the system. Go there WITH the head of your theater department and no more than 3 students. Tour their space. Find out what went right with the install, what would they do differently if they could do it again, find out how it was funded, etc. Pick their brain and learn from what they just went through. If there's any chance to get them to show up and speak as part of your presentation to the school board, that may impress the board members.

It's worth a try.

Thanks again for all the help guys, it really is, well, helping. Of course I'm doing this with my Director. Seeing as we don't HAVE a Technical Director, lets just say I'm filling the imaginary position with her.

I am just over an hour away from you school. If director wants a TD who is well versed in renovations, capital outlay expenditures within state regulations, and working with schools, feel free to call on me. I am happy to drive out and meet with you guys, look at what you have, and talk in more detail.

~Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back