Hiring a Sound Consultant

austinpow

[FONT=&quot]I'm lead student technician for an 840-seat public high school theatre that opened in 2004. Sadly, some of the equipment installed with the building was lowest-bid junk. We have some alumni donating money to upgrade several systems, including our sound equipment. (I'll probably be asking about the other parts of the project in the appropriate boards) Here are the relevant components of our existing inventory, in the signal chain:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]9 Shure SLX beltpack/reciever combos (We have several older Shure sets, but are moving everything to SLX bit by bit. I want to invest in a distributed directional antenna system, because we’ve had issues with tangles of wires and individual antennas)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 Yamaha GF24/12 mixing console (20 XLR channels, 3 of which are already dead due perhaps to the visible condensation that forms when our booth A/C cycles on and off. Gah.)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot](1) Rane GE130 equalizer (30-band)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot](1) Shure DFR11EQ digital EQ and feedback reducer[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot](1) DBX 223 stereo 2-way crossover (splits signal to – CH 1 low freq, CH 2 high freq)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot](1) Yamaha GC2020C compression / limiter (labeled CH 1 low freq, CH 2 high freq)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot](2) Yamaha C450 stereo amplifier (top amp listed High Freq, bottom amp low freq.)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hung behind fabric panels, pointing almost straight down, above the apron:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot](4) Electro-Voice bass bins[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot](8) Electro-Voice DH2T-16 high frequency drivers (2”) w/horn lens[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our current system, without purchasing any new equipment, could sound better. Neither our director nor I know enough about sound to properly tune the built-in system, and we’ve resorted to wheeling our monitor wedges out onto the apron to use for FOH sound, which has been a huge improvement but does not solve our board capacity or microphone reception issues. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I think it would make sense to hire a theatrical consultant, sound engineer, or some other skilled individual to tune our existing equipment and advise us on what to change/purchase in order to improve our sound. Things are very muddy and mid-centric. Perhaps we need to move the speakers. Perhaps we need more powerful amps. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Anyway, the point is, where do I go to hire someone? (I looked at this thread, but it's a bit different from what we're looking for) What kind of person should I be looking for? We’re in the South Florida area, if anyone has recommendations. We’ve been quoted about $700 for this sort of work previously. Is that an accurate figure? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also, any recommendations on a new console in the 30 to 40-channel range? I’ve looked at an Allen & Heath GL2400-40 (40 XLR ins, and I've used one at another school and liked it), and a District A/V coordinator suggested a [FONT=&quot]Mackie 3204-VLZ, which has 28 XLR and 4 stereo inputs.[/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks,

Austin Powers
Lead Student Technician
Kathryn Lindgren Theatre
Boca Raton Community High School

Wow that AC condensation is a serious problem that needs to be fixed before you do anything else.

You definitely want to get a DSP in that system... which should help immensely.

I've got a GL-2400 and love it, it's and excellent console.

I would start by contacting the audio dealers in your area. A good audio dealer will come out to your school and work with you to develop a plan for how to improve things. Get a couple of them to come in and see what they tell you. If you don't get help that way then hiring a consultant might be the way to go... but free advice from a good salesman is not a bad thing as long as he knows what he's doing. If you aren't happy with what they tell you than a consultant is a way to go.

Control Booth forum moderator MuseAV is president of an audio consulting company named Muse Audio Video. He's located in Georgia but I know he works all over the south. I'm sure he'll be along to offer some free advice soon. If you can afford his services, I'm sure it would be worth it. Contact him via PM to discuss.

Last edited:
What Gafftaper has stated a DSP would help, also i guess it really depends on what you do on who you need to hire. If your just wanting to use your current setup then you will probably just want someone to come in and tune your system, May i ask why you want more channels, Do you have a use for them or just wanting a new, bigger board. $700 seems about the range to have someone come in and tune the system, we have a deal through our install company which only costs us half of that for someone to come in (granted its from the install company so we never do it). MuseAV will have a ton of ideas as well as other members on this forum. My biggest suggestion at this point is find out the budget, and start talking with people in your area who are in the business, being in florida rather than the midwest states such as where i am located at gives a big advantage as more population. It sounds to me almost the same setup as our system, which was a main center cluster system directionally making the apron useless for microphones and then they put in an EQ that automatically reduced frequencies causing feedback (big issue).

Budget is a great point Duck. Do you want to just add some new gear and tune the system or are you looking to alter speaker locations, add accoustic tile and drapes. There are solutions for every budget. Before you get in too deep go to your donors and ask for an approximate budget to work within. Because no consultant is going to be able to help you without knowing your target price range.

As already noted, usually the first step would be to define your goals and limitations. The goals may be things like how you want to be able to use the system, the desired system performance and so on. You may need to prioritize these or at least identify short term and long term goals. The limitations could include things like budget, physical space, whether certain aspects have to go through a public bid process, etc.

You may end up needing to develop a long term master plan that then can be broken into several smaller phases. I feel it makes the most sense to look at the 'big picture' and then tunnel down with that in mind rather than to approach small pieces individually and then hope they all work together effectively.

As far as optimizing the existing system, that is often a very cost effective investment. There can be a wide range in how involved that effort is and the tools and expertise applied. A thorough system tuning would encompass more than just adjusting the EQ and crossover using an RTA, however even that level of tuning may provide significant benefit. Two factors that will likely affect the effort involved are whether there is any documentation of the existing systems (and its accuracy) and that some of the equipment is older. For example, you can still download the Shure DFR11EQ software but it apparently does not run under Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, so you'd need an older computer or laptop and many people may have little or no experience with the software (although the software itself is quite easy to use). And if there is no documentation of the system then someone could spend hours figuring out the system wiring and configuration before they could start doing much.

As far as who could perform the work that somewhat depends on how you plan to approach it. The biggest factor is often whether the party doing any system optimization and/or consulting is also potentially going to be providing any installation or equipment and how that may affect their services. There are various approaches and each has advantages and disadvantages in different situations, I will not try to go into all that here as it is a lengthy topic by itself. I will note that it is typically best to determine upfront if the party providing consulting services will, or will be allowed to, also provide the equipment sales and/or installation. That can affect everything from who may be interested in such work to the services to be provided and the associated fees.

I'd be weary of bringing in an Audio Dealer to give you advice. You want someone who has no motivation to sell you anything.

I'd say $700 is in the ballpark for someone in the area. Look around for skilled Sound Designers. A good one will know what questions to ask, how to maximize the return on what you've already got, and how to spend your budget to "get the most for your buck." Plan to spend more money if you're bringing someone in.

I'd be weary of bringing in an Audio Dealer to give you advice. You want someone who has no motivation to sell you anything.
That can greatly be addressed by separating the consulting and equipment/installation aspects. If they know that providing the consulting aspects may not relate to, or even prevent their pursuing, any equipment sales then many dealers may not want to get involved. The flip side is that if you have a dealer you trust and with whom you have or can build a relationship to the point that you are comfortable with their providing both the consulting and contracting as a package then they may look at some or all of any consulting services as an investment toward the related equipment and installation sales.

I'd say $700 is in the ballpark for someone in the area. Look around for skilled Sound Designers. A good one will know what questions to ask, how to maximize the return on what you've already got, and how to spend your budget to "get the most for your buck." Plan to spend more money if you're bringing someone in.
Given the context of this forum, I would be careful of the terminology "sound designer". There are theatrical sound designers that have little expertise or experience in installed system design and there are systems designers who aren't conversant with theatre applications. The ideal would probably be someone who is not only a qualified installed system design but that also understands the nuances of theatre applications.

In regards to the $700 number, what was being offered for that fee? That definitely seems low if it was intended to cover both system tuning and master planning unless the latter was looked at as offering a quote for some additional equipment rather than as a more comprehensive analysis and report. You might want to think about what the end result of any planning is, especially if it is going to be used to try to obtain funding. In some cases an equipment list may suffice but in others you may need something that is much more focused on functionality and justifying the expenditure. I have had projects where being able to show that we were looking at the actual use and potential benefits as well as specifics such as that we did not just choose a speaker we liked but rather analyzed numerous options and visually showed them via predictive modeling why we recommend this particular solution went a long way in helping get funding approved. You may want to think about just what level of detail and information will suit you best and then make sure that is what is being provided.

Wow! I'm thrilled by these responses. I knew I was coming to the right place for advice.

We're really looking for someone to tune the existing system, and then if justified make equipment reccomendations or suggest changes to our existing systen, such as adjusting the angle of the existing flown speakers. (I can take a picture of that, and of the theatre interior as a whole, if you'd like.) Any equipment purchases or speaker position adjustments would have to be written into the bid for the entire theatre upgrade project, so the person we hire to tune and evaluate the system wouldn't be in a position to actually sell us anything.

I'll try to respond to everyone's major points.

First off, the A/C issue is supposedly going to be looked at by a District maintenance crew. I had to escalate things to a deputy head of M&PO before it got serious attention, but hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

You definitely want to get a DSP in that system... which should help immensely.
I'm not very familiar with the function of DSPs. What advantage would this give us? We have the DFR11EQ, which because I haven't yet hooked it up to a computer is just stuck in dumb auto-filter mode. How would a DSP help?

May i ask why you want more channels, Do you have a use for them or just wanting a new, bigger board.
We run up to 11 wireless mics for our shows, and I've gone up to 16 for a rental. (Mmmm... outside groups that rent nice big UHF-R racks... other people's money...) Add that on to our 3 PZM apron mics and 4-6 hanging mics, plus pit soloists and a preshow mic in the booth, and I sometimes have to push into extra boards borrowed from the school TV studio. Our existing 20-ch Yamaha has no room to grow, especially as three of the fader pots are dead and I've been told the contractor who installed it and held the support contract has since folded. Rather than spend money to have a full-price pro shop repair dead channels, we want to use our one-time alumni infusion to purchase a quality new board that gives us enough room for everything we want to do now and in the future.

Budget is a great point Duck. Do you want to just add some new gear and tune the system or are you looking to alter speaker locations, add accoustic tile and drapes. There are solutions for every budget. Before you get in too deep go to your donors and ask for an approximate budget to work within. Because no consultant is going to be able to help you without knowing your target price range.
The project initially started as "The alumni have responded to our wish-list request for money to purchase a new, more powerful, permanently mounted projector and a larger screen for the theatre." Then, as the theatre director and I talked to the administration, the project expanded to include sound changes and a stage-view CCTV system, which I still need to ask about on another board. We haven't been given a total figure, but the projector/screen package was initially quoted at $25,000, which I was told would be completely funded in addition to about $10,000 more for everything else.

After meeting with a District project manager, we decided that replacing our existing ceiling-recessed screen with a larger one would be too expensive (likely more than the initial estimate, as that quote assumed some work would be done by the District, who later told us that they only have money for essential tasks, and couldn't help us), too disruptive (Potentially over one week of theatre shutdown, which would be tough in the December/January timeframe we're hoping to have this work done by), and too much of a bureaucratic minutia nightmare. So, that leaves about $20,000 for the projector and installation, and the remaining 10-15K for sound and CCTV, if it's all needed. But don’t quote me on that – that’s just my guesswork. Hard numbers are hard to get when you’re being told “Just do it, it’s all being taken care of.” Nice, but frustrating.

As already noted, usually the first step would be to define your goals and limitations. The goals may be things like how you want to be able to use the system, the desired system performance and so on. You may need to prioritize these or at least identify short term and long term goals. The limitations could include things like budget, physical space, whether certain aspects have to go through a public bid process, etc.

You may end up needing to develop a long term master plan that then can be broken into several smaller phases. I feel it makes the most sense to look at the 'big picture' and then tunnel down with that in mind rather than to approach small pieces individually and then hope they all work together effectively.
I’d say our priorities are:

1. Have existing system tuned as best as possible and evaluated for equipment modification/addition.
2. Purchase new sound board, ex. A&H GL-2400/40.
3. Purchase distributed antenna system for all SLX units, w/ room to grow.
4. Purchase ~4 new Shure SLX beltpack/receiver sets.
5. Purchase new processing equipment if needed (DSPs, etc. Possibly stronger amps for existing speakers, as our 8 low-end cabinets have only 450 watts between them)
6. Move existing and/or purchase new speakers if needed

Our district requires that any single or collective purchases over $3000 go through a public bid process. We were initially going to split the projector and sound portions of the project into two different bids, to try and get the projector done sooner, but apparently for every new bid created, a new file has to be started, a project manager has to be assigned, a site visit and goals meeting has to be conducted, etc… So, it’s all going into one bid.

I’ve been meaning to buy a serial cable to work with the DFR11EQ – our booth computer, which runs XP, has no problem loading the software; I just haven’t bought a long enough serial cable.

As far as who could perform the work that somewhat depends on how you plan to approach it. The biggest factor is often whether the party doing any system optimization and/or consulting is also potentially going to be providing any installation or equipment and how that may affect their services.
We’re looking for someone to hire who can tune the existing equipment with theatre in mind – music concert guys have come through trying to advise us on how to get maximum volume out of the system, but what we want is clarity and proper frequency response. Our acoustics are good, and we’ve got effective paneling on our back and side house walls. (Someone asked about that.) When I wheel out portable speakers, things are fantastic. It’s the built-in system that needs attention.
Because the whole project will have to go to bid in the end, the consultant we hire to tune and evaluate the system probably won’t have anything to do with the final equipment purchase and installation, unless they’re subcontracted by the winning vendor or they’re from the multipurpose vendor in the first place.

That can greatly be addressed by separating the consulting and equipment/installation aspects. If they know that providing the consulting aspects may not relate to, or even prevent their pursuing, any equipment sales then many dealers may not want to get involved.
That’s what I’m afraid of. I need to hire someone to tune the existing system, first off. I’d like to have the same person evaluate the system and tell us where our upgrade money would be best spent, but that person probably isn’t going to get the job because the final bid will include the projector and CCTV work, and will be picked up by a multipurpose A/V vendor and GC.

In regards to the $700 number, what was being offered for that fee? That definitely seems low if it was intended to cover both system tuning and master planning unless the latter was looked at as offering a quote for some additional equipment rather than as a more comprehensive analysis and report.
How much do you think it would run, then? And “master planning” – would it really be that involved?

You might want to think about what the end result of any planning is, especially if it is going to be used to try to obtain funding. In some cases an equipment list may suffice but in others you may need something that is much more focused on functionality and justifying the expenditure.
They’re pretty much trusting me on this, as long as everything falls within the general amount of money the alumni were planning to spend. Of course, I want to make sure we get the best possible use out of that money, and I know we need to consult a professional. So, for the tuning and hopefully evaluation as well, do I look for a “theatrical consultant”? A sound engineer with theatre experience? A system designer?

Thanks again, everyone, for your advice and help on this. It’s fantastic to have a resource like this site to go to for help. I’ll try and respond to messages quicker, so it’s not one giant response like this one.

Austin Powers
Lead Student Technician
Kathryn Lindgren Theatre

A DSP can do just about anything. It takes you audio signal, digitizes it and plays with it. EQ, effects, feedback elimination, compression, crossovers... just about anything is possible. The key point being that your room is tuned and locked inside the DSP so all you do is a little tweaking at the desk.

That DFR11EQ is sort of a simple DSP. They can do a lot more for your system when properly setup. By the way the number one google hit for the DFR11EQ is a place selling it with a giant red label on the page that says "OBSOLETE". Nice.

Can you install the projector yourself or have someone in the maintenance department do it? A good projector is probably going to run you around $5k-$7k (depending on a lot of factors). In my theater it took me about 10 minutes to install our projector to the underside of a catwalk using the factory ceiling mount. Other places it'll be really difficult. You'll pay a lot of money for installation... so check out all the specs on ceiling mounts and sit down with the maintenance people to see if you can figure out how to do it yourself... SAFELY.

Do you have a fly system with a spare batten that you can hang a new projection screen from?

As for the local dealer angle. First off it's great to just get different ideas from people, Good or bad. I need to point out that I've developed a great relationship with a local dealer who really knows their gear. I call up and say, "here's my problem" and they sell me a solution that works. Some places will rip you off. So you need to know what you are doing and who you can trust.

Perhaps someone from the local college/university would be willing to stop in and check out your space for you and give you some advice on what to do and who to talk to... offer to buy him/her lunch!

I'm just going to say after reading your replies to Brad.....You seem to be missing the jist of his comment about looking at the needs of the system. As I have said before....have a very clear understanding of what you expect your auditorium to do. Not just the sound system. Our case is very non typical. We are a High School auditorium but function as a national act road house 15-20 times a year. Our technical needs were based on the need to be able to cover the tech riders of national touring acts. That is in no way what may be appropriate for any other high school. We did take into consideration how the school would need to use the tech systems and made additions as the need was presented during design. So......make sure you spend ample time reviewing how the room is going to function and then make adjustments in the "nuts and bolts" of the tech systems.

Hugh is right on. You want the system tuned but for what use and applications? I might tune a system used primarily for speech quite differently than one used exclusively for various types of music performances. And even within music you might tune a system differently if the use is primarily hip hop/rap versus rock versus symphonic and so on. You want recommendations for improvements but how does one determine what improvements are needed or might be appropriate? You want four additional wireless systems, a new console, etc. but knowing why you feel you need these items and what you are trying to do might make someone think of related aspects that impact other areas or aspects.

The way I typically explain it is that of the goal is to have a new console then that is what should be expressed, it is having the console that is the desired result. However, if the goals are to handle a greater number of inputs, more aux sends, greater flexibility in routing and so on or even to simply handle certain types of events that you cannot currently handle, then those are the goals, the console is a means to an end and not the actual result. Put simply, if you define the goals in terms of equipment then that is all you have defined as your expectations. If that equipment does not do what you hoped or expected then the fault was in not properly defining your expectations to other parties.

It is not really appropriate for me to address fees for a specific project here. However, I will say that where I am going into a situation where I have limited knowledge of the facility, existing systems and goals, I typically recommend breaking the work up into a sort of exploratory phase, for which a fee can be given upfront, and then a subsequent analysis phase for which the fee can be determined only after the exploratory phase. That is why no matter who you talk to, the more information you can provide them on both the existing conditions and the goals for the facility and system, the better they will be able to define the services and fees they see as being appropriate.

Some 'theatre consultants' do have expertise in audio and video, but not all and some may offer this only as part of a more comprehensive set of services. Many audio system consultants and design/build contractors have experience in performing arts applications, but do not confuse the firms that provided the sound systems for a bunch of bands or classrooms with someone who has experience in theatrical applications. There can be a difference between a system used for other applications in a room called a theater and a system actually designed for theatrical applications. This distinction may not be as critical for the system tuning, although someone who has always tuned for rock bands may not udnerstand the differences involved in systems where spoken word is critical, however it can be much more critical in the consulting aspect. For example, aspects such as assistive listening, program audio to back-of-house, ambient and area mics, intelligibility and so on may not be familiar to someone whose experience is exclusively live music performances.

Wow. Okay, goals. I can see where I was too equipment-list-oriented.

We have a true theatre, except our electric battens are hung from creepingly slow cable hoists instead of a proper fly system. We have usual spoken-word assemblies, band concerts aided by a flown band shell and some occasional solo mics, several night-of-one-act type performances, a straight play and two musicals every year. We have a few recurring rentals, which are either spoken-word High Holy Days ceremonies or canned music dance recitals.

I'd say our priority is getting as much vocal clarity and intelligibility out of the current system as possible. We've never had much trouble running canned music through, because a loss of high/low-end fidelity isn't as noticeable for silly dance recital instrumentals or preshow fill, but live vocals suffer. So, tuning the existing system for quality spoken word and spoken and sung theatrical vocals would be our top priority. I suppose "phase two" of this would be moving existing equipment (speakers) and/or purchasing new equipment, such as a DSP.

A secondary priority would be adding additional channel capacity to our system. Especially with the three dead channels on our existing board, it's been a challenge to work in around 30 mic channels on several large productions. We've been able to do it, but the extra "outboard" boards create wire clutter and can be confusing to newer techs. There's only a need for this maybe six weeks out of the whole year, though. On any other occasion, we're usually using only 1-4 mics. I suppose we might not need the 40-channel capacity of the GL2400/40, but I've used that board as well as other, smaller 30-channel units, and I've found the 30-channel units are sometimes cramped and lack the space and solid feel of the A&H. Would leaving room for future growth be worthwhile?

Is this closer to the sort of goal-oriented thinking I should be doing? Also, I don't want to seem as though I'm trying to milk any of you for the sort of master planning advice that one has to pay for; Mr. Weber, if this level of detail is beyond the depth of the sort of free advice that you feel comfortable giving, then let me know and I'll back off.

Thank you once again for the fantastic advice, especially Mr. Weber.

Austin Powers
Lead Student Technician
Kathryn Lindgren Theatre

You seem to grasp the jist of what we are trying to tell you. With a clear understanding of what the space and system need to do to fulfill the needs of the school and community you might be able to answer some of your own questions. And when you get stumped then you can give a consultant type person the parameters of your problem and they can solve it. That is why an open ended question such as "which desk is better?" is just very difficult to answer.

What i see is you want to adjust the positioning of the speakers, without knowing your space and with out knowing if its properly tuned before hand, (just because you can see absorbing panels on the walls does not mean they are put in the right place) I would recommend at this point writing down exactly what you want the space to do, from the list you've provided i would say.

1. Space tuned to vocal clarity with the ability to do limited music fill
(if its just vocal clarity its generally almost no low, some mid, and extremely large amounts of high frequency levels, for most music applications most of the music comes from the mid range with a little bit of punch from low levels)

2. Explore the option of moving main cluster to affect clarity and frequency hot spots.

3. Explore option of Owning vs. renting larger size sound console.
(while owning a larger board is nice in the paperwork department it may not be cost appropriate for this situation at this time, since you've stated normally you only run 1-4 mics through the majority of your season)

Once you've got the priorities set out, by the way if the space is tune wrong you could get some nasty feedback from your speakers which would cause frequency hot spots on your stage, then you should be able to get a more definitive answer from a sound engineer. If I had more knowledge of both the space and the area i would recommend a company in your area to help you with it.

It seems you get the general concept which is to prioritize goals, and understand that even though you could have top of the line stuff it may not be the best in your space, this is why these questions are so hard to handle because of the fact that theaters are very personal spaces that require almost extensive knowledge or very expensive tools to understand the acoustics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back