HIT swage tool crimp size

Don't they supply a NO-GO gauge with the tool?

Last edited:
I have the guage. Long and silly story why I need to know the size. Mike, email sent.

Last edited:
Tell the long silly story!

Well, of course what you “Need” is to hire us to do it. :)

Seriously though, If you’re replacing lift lines, you need a swaging tool and the gauge that goes with that particular tool. You also need the table that comes with the particular tool to see how many crimps are required. For example, our manual crimper requires 4 crimps on 3/16” oval sleeves, our power crimper, only 2. Also the gauge needs to be for the tool that made the crimp, for example Loos gauge for 3/16” oval sleeves has an opening of .465”, the NicoPress gauge for Oval-X die for 3/16” oval sleeves is .472”. Same sleeve, same size cable, different size compression.

Last edited:
Well, I know this thread is super old, but here I am in a venue that's got a HIT swaging tool with the go-no-go gauge, but I've got no table for crimping. A quick call to the most local HIT dealer to try and get one has borne no fruit beyond their rep telling me that a sleeve can only fit so many crimps and that there's a go-no-go gauge. Also told me that using a table from Nicopress should be fine, but all their tables get pretty specific with their own tools, so I'm not loving that advice either.

Since I'm working at a school now and just finished building a rigging cabinet for all of our stuff, I want to be able to post a table and various other things on the cabinet for quick reference and educational support. Anybody have any more familiarity with HIT tools?

Let me do some digging. I might be able to find you some data for that tool.

Thanks, I'd appreciate any information you're able to dig up. I'm really hoping not to have to choose between buying an expensive new swaging tool just because it has better documentation and compromising on the safety of my students' rigging. That's no choice at all, of course, but it seems to me like a company as large as HIT would have something, somewhere, or at least enough professionals using their stuff to have an interest in making one.

UPDATE: After a long period of silence following my question (to a bunch of retail HIT distributors), one of the suppliers I emailed got back to me (Westech Rigging Supply) and sent me this sheet.

Attachments

• HIT Swaging Tool.jpg
    HIT Swaging Tool.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back