hobnobbing it with the people who made this site possible...

Plywood Grade: Grade A is premium grade, it has no more than 18 repairs on the face, grade B can have more repairs, Grade C can have more still. (Home Depot 1999 Calender Jan.29.)

Used Caulking Tubes: pull them apart before they are used by cutting the plunger end off, thus cutting the tube short. Get rid of the product in side, and remove the old tube from the plunger. It might seem silicone would work best with this as its remaining product is the most friction resistant and thus will allow the plunger to slide well once re-inserted. It otherwise might be useful to use a water-soluble product inside the tube so it can be washed out after removal, and the tube does not have to be used right away before the old product dries out and makes the tube useless. With this now empty caulking tube, it is now possible to fill it and use it with almost any type of product wished for ease of application. Some uses are in sand thickened two part epoxy for adding between holes in floor boards. It can also be used for tuck pointing. More to the stage however it can be used for scenic dope application, Epoxy, or almost any other product which does not come pre-mixed. Note however it might be difficult to re-install the plunger, try putting it on the gun’s push rod to ease in leverage and alignment. Note also however that the product inside the tube cannot have a long shelf life due to a other than factory conditions re-installation of the plunger, and probably will not be re-useable once used unless the plunger is replaced with something like a rubber cork with a eye-bolt removal ring on it. This is complex however for such a tube. It might also be possible to glue the original plunger to a dedicated caulk gun and thus be able to remove the plunger when finished. (American How To, May 1999 “Tip Trader”. p.86)

Custom - Made Contour Sander: put a piece of waxed paper over your cove or contour. Smash a gob of “Bondo” over the waxed paper. Then either spray adhesive, or hold the sand paper on the “Bondo” to sand the contour. (Wood Magazine, Feb. 1999 “Hot of the Internet” p. 12) A better solution might be to use the same trick but to add sand or like materials into the “Bondo” mixture, or to lay them out on the waxed paper before the Bondo is added. In this way, the sanding surface would be impregnated within the “Bondo” itself and not need work to keep the sand paper attached to the contours. Another way might be to soften the sandpaper in some way so it conforms to the contours of the molding, and apply the Bondo directly to it. It should stick or if necessary adhesive on the back should help this bond. If necessary velcro backed sandpaper should easily hold the Bondo. In addition to “Bondo”, spray foam adhesive, epoxy, and many other materials can be used to conform to the contour easily, and spray foam if installed under pressure will not only stick to the sand paper, but make it conform to all curves and angles of the molding by its pressure when forming. This might be the best sander of all. (B.Ship.)

What you want more tips? That's about 5% of the tips I have on one file. But wait for some time later when such a thing can be presented right.

I was just going after the extra points to catch up with JoJo. Just another 82 to go.

rotfl!!!!

Well, that is certainly one weay of filling Dave's directive, and of becoming a Junior
Technician (you, techie, you :wink: )

Actually, it was a good distraction for a joke.

I just finished spending the last 11 hours making up a conversion table of every lamp Sanyo uses in their LCD projectors by going thru every manual on-line both at work than home, one by one going to like page 45 to find the lamp type and part number than skipping to another page to find the only other listed data about the lamp - the wattage. When available at least. You would think that such a quick refrence chart would have already been thought of but even the Sanyo rep had to get out a manual to figure out what lamp I was looking for. The have 80 projectors and I have a need to know for work. There was a problem with a $1.5K order I placed yesterday Fed EX Priority One Overnight, AM Delivery which was costly enough by itself - someone on the West coast since both the East and Central coast were already closed down for the night when I got the lamp request, sent me the wrong lamps and it seems that the proper lamp for the projector will not be available in the US for another 3 weeks. Out of like 10 suppliers including Sanyo and Ushio, nobody had this lamp. Almost had 4 more for tomarow but in the time it took another supplier to write up the order the lamps had already sold to someone else. Try telling that to an already irate customer - the lamp business is kind of like the stock market, when there is run on lamps, there is nothing you can do about it.
Than, I added a new Osram lamp's specs to my chart as I just bought 20 of today, and updated my price quotes with 3 pages of "special" lamp prices from Ushio. Than I did a little research into the lamp for the new HES Color Command. We just bought somewhere between 30 and 40 of the fixtures and I'm working on getting the price down to below $24.00 per lamp. One supplier this morning quoted me an amazingly bad price but for a Osram lamp to the fixture. Problem was that the lamp is at this time from what I can find is only made by Philips, and Osram doesn't even make one that's similar. The GE/Thorn GLD. hmm, someone had a brain fart.

In other words, such a joke was good to get my eyes off lamp specs for a while.

It's making my head spin just reading about it. 8O What a headache. :x I hope you find what you're looking for soon.

I'll make it number 50 then-- at 4:52 Central Time.

Jeremy Lyon
Technician at The McAnich Arts Center

"haha that's one way of getting the 40 posts" I'm kind of surprised that Dave didn't take those 40 posts away from me which by accident got me up to the next level. I thought I had to be at the 300 range. It certainly was not earned. Just click and copy. Guess I'm at Jo Jo's level for posts anyway so it's not a big point. Kudos on Jo Jo for sticking with it this long and being first however.

Seriously, what I copied and posted in posting something at least somewhat useful is available to anyone that wants to send me a E-Mail address for it. I was actively working on an improved notes section of a Backstage Handbook before I got distracted and seriously sidetracked into lamp specs. If you can read Word Perfect, my notes and tips on stuff are yours. Eventually, I expect Dave will add a backstage handbook/tips section of the forum that all my pre-typed notes as well as yours will be added to - given we can ease the hardness in adding them one by one on line. Something like a key word search I would think to a large text that's easy to post. What's the difference between a laminate saw blade and a rip one? Such things are not yet in the Backstage Handbook, much less proper drilling speeds for hole saws.

"Brain Fart" is a Marine term from my first memory of it. Before that, who knows - good question. Ask R. Lee Irmie on his very cool show - that's History Channel "Mail Call" fodder. Since it is a Marine term - as I learned it at least, I'm sure he could abuse you worse than I could - you civilian pig, and tell you the answer - in his own drill instructor way. I love the show, it takes me back a few years. The first half of "Full Metal Jacket was in many ways very much similar to my own experiences on boot camp - including the guy that went crazy, but short one rifle and insert one "born again Cristian" in the washroom while I was on guard, instead.

As for the lamps, the customer is pissed that inspite of his own strikeing out with many of the same sources I called, he still could not get lamps for his projectors at the last minute. As R.Lee or any Marine would say, Waah! To say the least. Prior planning prevents evan civilian pig piss poor preformance. You need spares for your LCD projectors, perhaps you should have bought some before you needed them at the last minute. - Spare lamps, what a concept! It's not exactually as if I was using the fixtures. "Prior planning prevents piss poor preformance." While I only contacted like 10 of about 30 sources for the lamp, It's pritty well assured that the lamp he needed is only now being made in Japan, and it's going to take about three weeks to get. Sorry but he should have been around when another projector company Barco decided to improve upon and discontinue their R9840300 lamp without any lamp to replace it. Same story with Altman discontinuing their studio Fresnel line 2K and 5K of lamp bases. What, you big companies discontinue a product before you have something to replace it with? It's now a year and a half since Altman stopped selling replacement lamp bases to their 5,000 Watt Fresnel. Just got a reply from the vendor rep today with a status report from them. "The engineers are meeting tomarow on this problem" and in a few more months hopefully they will have a replacement lamp base completed in development.

What any person with say 20 something 5K Fresnels that have lamp base problems in need of at least replacement if not upgrade is supposted to do until than, is besides the point that Altman like Barco decided one day just to stop buying the standard lamp base replacements a few years back, but did not have anything else to replace it. Hello!!!

You guys really want to get out of highschool and into the real world? So Barco that makes some of the big time video projectors one day decided to discontinue their primary lamp for the DLC 6400 projector. Replacement lamps start going fast for it and at an increcingly higher price until they are all gone - much like the above Sanyo lamp and at a much similar in $400 to $500.00 each price each for only 750 hours. Gee it's only going to be a few months until they stock the replacement be it shipped in from Japan or a new type of lamp as replacement - all those clubs and places that don't stock spares should just make do or buy the video version of the lamp that is not as high as resolution but will still work. Want my job? Okay, we have an order for Hard Rock Cafe - Chicago for more lamps like tomarrow. How can we swing with Barco to get us some lamps for this as opposed to the commen client? Perhaps a threat that all restraunts since it's Hard Rock Cafe and well known, will take their Barco Projectors out immediately and replace them with another brand unless the company puts some lamps into them? Not realistic, since it was only one of the clubs, but it worked just fine. That in addition to their already worsening bad name for themselves for the specifiers of the fixture in the industry. Yep, that worked. Funny how fast that company got some of the not available lamps out to me even if discontinued.

Than there was the time about three years ago that GE/Corning that makes all the PAR lamp reflector and lens for any brand of PAR fixture Osram or Philips or GE/Thorn besides those coming from Japan - Ushio, decided to take a little three month vacation. Can you say a run on PAR - especially PAR 64 lamps all across the lighting industry and prices rising by the day? Now there was a tricky time for the industry because S-4 PAR fixtures just were not on the market in any numbers yet. Rock shows were stuck with no spare PAR 64 Lamps at best, or changing their designs.

So it's probably going to be about 3 weeks to get this projector lamp. No big deal from me. This customer is only one of our larger clients but is at least not screaming yet. I'll wait and even stock a spare one for him once it's out - even id stocking a lamp that's not used counts against my profit sharing. So we lost $1,500.00 in sales due to some corporate mishap. No big deal, the customer still knows who to call for his repairs much less more expert help or effort in getting lamps beyond the companies that just told him no and did not spend 4 hours in finding another source - hopefully. At leasat next time a fixture for Sanyo needs a lamp, I'll just check the chart I made and know what type it is. You make lemonaid out of lemons where you can.

So no, there was no solution to this problem. On the other hand, the Color Command lamps keep getting cheaper and more reasonable.

Necropost/thread bump/whatever.

I've heard dvsDave often refer to this "incident," but had never seen this thread before. By my calculations, ship only did 26 posts, not 40. What a slacker!

Wow, I haven't seen this thread in YEARS! I remember that event I referred to, it was ....interesting...

This does remind me that ControlBooth will be celebrating it's 10th Anniversary in January!

AWESOME I've never seen this one.

I notice that you are no longer afraid of a coup. In fact, at times you seem to be encouraging a coup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back