Control/Dimming Hog 1000 and SMPTE Timecode

Hello,

I am hoping that someone out there has already done this sort of thing and can provide me with some help (as I have already been to many local sources with no luck).

I have use a Hog 1000 console to program shows, and I need some help with SMPTE Timecode.

I have programed a show that runs on the internal SMPTE timecode generator, but need the show to be cued from an audio track using SMPTE. I was wondering if anyone has done this and can fill me in on what type of media to play the audio track from (CD, Computer, etc...) and if I need additional hardware/software to generate the timecode. The SMPTE timecode must originate from the audio track some how and will be sent through a MIDI cable to the lighting console. I am looking for the simplest and most cost effective solution, but reliablity is key.

If you need any further information, just let me know.

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

The most likely way to get time code out is likely to involve a PC. Most audio use of time code is as LTC not midi time code, so you might need to do more digging to make that work or use an intermediate converter - from memory the Motu Timepiece can perform such duty.

Sorry it's not all the answer you were after but hope it helps somewhat...

Last edited by a moderator:
For our timecode shows we run the audio through Pro Tools and that outputs the time code to the board. Pro Tools as far as I know (not a sound expert at all) seems to be a pretty standard editor although it is likely a bit spendy because of this fact. The nice thing about the program is that you aren't really confined to certain types of media, it'll play most anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back