Hog 3 or Chamsys Q20?

Carbon

I stopped touring about the time VariLite debuted with Genesis. Still an analog guy. The 50 par can music venue I volunteer at wants to update and add 6-12 movers and new console for starters. They found a deal on a Hog 3 and I'm seeing new Chamsys Q20 in the same price range and looking fairly user friendly and probably has current fixture library.
2 questions: Which will have the easier learning curve for a dinosaur and other novices, and which will be friendly to touring LDs (though most bring their own board and dmx our dimmers). Primary use is busking and having ability to follow live on stage will be a bonus.

Thanks for your input!

I'm not personally a fan of the Chamsys... but I'm old school. I like my buttons and keypad. I'll even take an ETC RPU and a hotkey keyboard. I went so far as to make an EOS-Xkey for it. The whole mobile touch screen gesture structure just isn't how I program. That being said I know a lot of production companies and rental houses that rent them out like candy at the homecoming parade so to each their own I suppose.

Do you have a production/rental house nearby that you might be able to try at least something in the family of either?

I'm not an LD, but I hire them...

The Hog 3 is getting long in the tooth, so to speak, but that doesn't mean the Chamsys is automatically better. Get a demo of both, or rent them for a week and see which one best fits your needs.

Which would be easier to learn of the 2? Definitely Chamsys since it 'doesn't do' as much as the hog 3, meaning hog relies on remembering keyboard shortcuts finding things 'buried' in spreadsheets, a little bit more networking understanding (can be as complex as you want it to be) yada yada. I am personally not a fan of the chamsys Q line for an install. Nothing wrong with it, just not the way I like to work, not to mention I run away from any console with built in wifi... That being said it is very beginner friendly, tons of prompts on every page to hold your hand should you want it and there are plenty of training videos on it.

I would strongly advise not purchasing a Hog 3 unless you were already familiar with Hog since it was initially released in 2002 and is no longer supported. Meaning every fixture that is brought in that's newer than say 2013, will have to have a custom fixture profile built for it. That being said it was a pretty popular touring rig so it probably wouldn't be difficult to hire an LD from a local rental house to train you on it. 'Upgrading' your system to a discontinued system just doesn't sit right with me. But that's my personal opinion.

Personally for a similar price point, ETC Nomad is also a great option. Ton's of training videos online the software is used in a ton of schools, universities, theater houses, churches, etc. Not to mention an unlocked ETC Nomad license unlocks 12 universes of Hog 4 PC.

Also in a similar price point is the Obsidian NX Wing - used to be Martin, LightShark, Zero 88 FLX S24. But if I had to choose beetween the Chamsys and the Hog 3. I'd go Chamsys simply because it's supported and ease of use. Just be aware it's got some limitations, you probably won't hit them soon with only 12 movers and a bucket of conventionals...

Thanks Folks, especially Chris. Good insights! Well, the house went ahead and bought the Hog 3. I'm sure upgrading fixture profiles will be interesting. Owner assumed there would be software upgrades available. As for the 'upgrading' comment, hey, we're moving from last century to this century! LOL!

Let us know when the clutching of pearls (not the AVO console), gnashing of teeth and rending of garments commences. While I'm not a big Chamsys fan I know better than to buy 15 year old consoles when lighting is moving as fast as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back