Hog 4 PC Network over sACN or Art-Net

Kurt

So, I'm in a pickle

I'm going to be designing (which around here means being an entire lighting crew) a show, and I really need/want every intelligent fixture we have for this show, but some dumb scheduling has left me with an express, where I was planning on a Hog 3. I've been running Hog 3 PC software, and I've been trying to find ways around needing a DP to control my rig. I've been pondering the idea of investing in some sort of sACN or Art-Net widget, given that I should be able to run the system on one (albeit, quite full) universe. We also have Sensor dimmers in this space but from my research it appears that ETC doesn't like giving their protocol to other companies and that still doesn't solve for the rest of my system.

To sum my question up, can I run a sACN node alone on a Hog 3/4 PC without having any High End equipment physically plugged into my machine or do I need to have a Widget/DP in order to output sACN?

Hi Kurt.

I hope you will try our software. I think it will work well for your needs. You can use any artnet to DMX adapter you want to. We would like you to use ours, but you don't have to. :)

The Enttec single universe one works well. I have one myself.

All 64 universes are available over a network connection - for free - from our software. Artnet, sACN, Pathport, Shownet....we won't try to lock you in to our own protocol; Chamnet.

It is the same software that runs on all our consoles, not some old outdated version. We even have 3D pixel mapping built in, for free, if you need it.

Ooops...sounding like a sales man so signing off.

Last edited:
Chamsys ftw! Just ran Mary Poppins with it tonight. I have some friends who are Hog users and they said both are quite similar. It has something called Hog Warp mode that might be useful to you.

Hi Kurt.

I hope you will try our software. I think it will work well for your needs. You can use any artnet to DMX adapter you want to. We would like you to use ours, but you don't have to. :)

The Enttec single universe one works well. I have one myself.

All 64 universes are available over a network connection - for free - from our software. Artnet, sACN, Pathport, Shownet....we won't try to lock you in to our own protocol; Chamnet.

It is the same software that runs on all our consoles, not some old outdated version. We even have 3D pixel mapping built in, for free, if you need it.

Ooops...sounding like a sales man so signing off.

I've been playing around with it, and got the MagicDMX interface. I like it! It's a little strange to get used to from ETC and Hog syntax, but I'm slowly getting used to it. I'm teching this show on Saturday, so I'll have to see intuitive it is when I get into a full day of programming. I love the fact that it's open to other protocols... I like being free to expand a system on the cheap.

As far as I know ETC sticks with open protocols. Sensor racks will take multiple network protocols, depending on its age. Red light "classics" are really not networked, they do have ETCnet (Net1) that is not for control, odd and useless now. It does make it look like a network system but it's not. Blue light Sensor+ and Sensor3 will take EDMX (Net2 and pretty old) and sACN (Net3) which are both big industry standards. If you want to connect with those call ETC to walk through checking the set up of the rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back