Hog 500 vs. Expression 3

SAWYeR

Heyyy Everybody!

So I'm designing a production of "My Fair Lady" for a middle school summer theatre camp in my neighborhood. The board I would be using is a Colortran Innovator but my friend is using it in the school's gym to run his show. I have the ability to rent whatever console I want, and at the moment it's between an ETC Expression III and a Hog 500. I'm running a conventional rig with the exception of about 10 scrollers and at the moment two LED pars (I might be renting more.) So, which is the better choice? I've been wanting to use a Hog 500 for a while now, and thought that I might go with that because I know it's a reliable, quality console, and also because it's a chance to learn something new. Any input is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are going to go HOG, then I would suggest at least getting a 1000. The 1000 is a much better console than the 500. Expression III is fine as well. I realize that you want to learn a new console, but I would still recommend you pick the one you are more familiar with. Learning a new console under the pressure of having to program a show can be very stressful.

...The 1000 is a much better console than the 500. ...
For some applications, perhaps; but in this particular case (legit musical), not really.

Alex's point about learning a new console during the heat of production is very valid, but for a "middle school summer theatre camp", I say go for the Hog 500.

Whatever you choose, be sure to report back and let us know your experiences, good or bad.

I would say do the Hog 500 only because I've never even sat behind an expression III. Although if your just learning how to use Hog consoles it takes a bit of time to learn (at least it did for me) and you've gotta keep things very organized on the console while programing. If you can go for the 1000.

I'd go for the expression 3 mainly because i know the console better (know both though) and i prefer programing conventionals on it over the hog. Also, the console has more submasters which can be used for various lights or groups of lights depending on how you want to run the show. I also think that the expression has a shallower learning curve. With the inventory you have you really won't be able to learn to use the hog beyond the basics but it still might be worth it.

So I changed my mind and I'm going to rent the Expression III now instead. I like the more hands-on approach via faders and subs especially with a mostly conventional rig. Should be a good show, I'll post pics when I'm done. Another question: since I'm an ETC guy, how do you all feel about the Congo Jr? I'd love to rent an Ion but nowhere around rents them :/ How is it for conventionals and shows like mine?

Last edited:
So I changed my mind and I'm going to rent the Expression III now instead. I like the more hands-on approach via faders and subs especially with a mostly conventional rig. Should be a good show, I'll post pics when I'm done. Another question: since I'm an ETC guy, how do you all feel about the Congo Jr? I'd love to rent an Ion but nowhere around rents them :/ How is it for conventionals and shows like mine?

If you're an ETC guy then Congo isn't your board. Its backwards from almost all other ETC consoles especially in terms of syntax. Ion/Eos/Element will offer you the syntax your used too with more oomphf than the the Express/Exression line.

... I like the more hands-on approach via faders and subs especially with a mostly conventional rig. ...
How much busking do you expect to be doing during a production of My Fair Lady? "Hands-on" is generally incompatible with the exact repeatability requirements of theatrical shows, which is why they are programmed to run off a press of the GO button.

Ha I guess I should rephrase "hands-on." I meant it more in terms of having my fixtures patched to channels that can be controlled my faders as opposed to typing up each light or group I want on. I know the Congo can come with a fader wing so I was just wondering. that whole being backwards thing though is kind of not helpful though :p I'd love an Ion if I could find a place in Chicago that rents them.

None at Chicago Spotlight, DesignLab, or Grand Stage? I bet one will have an Element before too long.

Surprisingly no. I actually am not sure about Chicago Spotlight as I can't find their rental inventory online and I have yet to call them. I feel like Elements will start popping up all over the place very soon now too

Yeah, I hope so, over here in Aus I can't get Ions nor Strand 300s. Nor anything higher than that either, I could understand why they wouldn't stock Eoss but an Ion isn't too much to ask for! Still, lets hope the Element is here soon...
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back