Hog Bible?

Hey Gang,
Does anyone out there know of an online or downloadable "bible" for the hog. I'm having to seriously push my hog skills for an upcoming show, and any kind of "tips & tricks" guide will probably help me avoid doing a lot of things the hard way! Normally I do corporate gigs with a dozen or so movers, and all I have to do is static looks and the occasional bally-hoo. This time I have 48+ movers, and my clients want to kick off the entire show week with a "mind-blowing lighting extravaganza" (I believe those were their words!). Any thoughts?

Stumbling Into The Light,
Les

yea, its called the manual.

Hog 500/1K
ftp://ftp.highend.com/pub/Products/Flyingpig/hog1000man.pdf

HogII
http://www.flyingpig.com/support/hog2/manuals/hog2_v4.pdf

Hog III
http://www.highend.com/support/downloads/dl/manual_en072705.pdf

the Hog manuals are some of the best written manuals ever in my opinion. Ive read the manuals, and have immedietly understood everything, not even having to be infront of the console, where for most boards I need to be infront of the console while reading because theyre not the greatest.

I think that because of this, there arnt really any good "bibles" simply because the manual is just so good.

[/url]

Thanks for the reply, Zac. And while I agree with you that the hog manual is very well written, I also know that different people working in different situations have probably come up with lots of useful tips and tricks and ways to avoid major headaches! Also, the fact that hog offers, what, 4 days worth of formal training tells me that the manual doesn't include everything. So maybe "bible" wasn't the correct term to use, but it sounds a lot cooler than "practical addendum", don't you think?

Stumbling into the Light,
Les

Is your question really about your console or about getting the most out of a larger rig?

I don't mean that in a negative way, I'm just trying to figure out if you are worried about cuing up a larger show in the allotted time, or are hoping for some neat bells and whistles to give your show some extra zing.

If it is the latter, I'd say, don't bother. Getting certain looks and effects is easier on one console or another, but few shows are made or broken soley on one particular console's strengths or weaknesses. Instead, I'd recommend spening some time with an offline visualizer to get a better idea of what you want to do with the fixtures.

But, if your concern is the former, I understand. Many times over the years my problem wasn't ideas but having too little time to execute them all. But, even so, I'm not sure that a random assortment of tricks and tips is going to help. All systems that can comfortably handle a 50 mover show offer more than one way to skin a cat.

I certainly use our controller differently depending on the type of show, and have seen the same with a Hog. I guess what I am saying is that how you use a console can save hours and hours of work, but which way is the 'best' way depends a lot on the type of show and the surrounding circumstances.

Perhaps if you could give us a better idea of either the type of show, or the sorts of things you are wondering how to accomplish we might be able to give you more helpful advice.

Either way, break a leg... ;)

-jjf
Innovate Show Controls

You know, thats somewhat true. I think it was the hogII that if you put >G3 in the comment of a cue, it would run whatever was on the third master.... likewise, S would stop, and R would release the cue. I looked all over the manual for that, and couldn't find it. It was in a manual for some peripheral or something...

I appreciate your questions, jfitzpat, they've really helped clarify some things for me. The show is a corporate event that they want to kick off with a light show set to a "jock jams" tune. I've got some pretty definite ideas about what I want to do, and I will have access to an offline visualizer for programing. I guess I was trying to have on hand a resource or two in addition to the manual just in case I had trouble executing something. In particular, I've always relied pretty heavily on the effects engine and have not done a lot with tracking (using "wait" and "follow" and "loop") cue lists, and I'm really in the dark when it comes to the "fan" option, which I believe is going to be vital to the kinds of things I'm going for.
But if there aren't any such resources out there, I'm quite happy to have found this community of people like you who are willing to help! :D

Stumbling into the Light,
Les

What do you call a lighting guy without a crescent wrench?
A truck loader.

I do a lot of Hog programming, let me know if you still need help.

Fan is easy, just hold Set and you can fan any value wth the wheels (Pan, Tilt, Intensity, etc).

jumpjet said:
You know, thats somewhat true. I think it was the hogII that if you put >G3 in the comment of a cue, it would run whatever was on the third master.... likewise, S would stop, and R would release the cue. I looked all over the manual for that, and couldn't find it. It was in a manual for some peripheral or something...

They're called comment Macros. Definately in the Hog manual, somewhere near the back.

Download the PDF of the manual nad just search for Macro or Comment Macro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back