AEilering

Just over a year ago, my work (large church, seats 3,000) ordered a RoadHog 4 console to replace our ETC express and LightJockey. For the most part, it has been a decent console. Easy to learn and operate, but it has come with some difficulties. On average, the board will glitch multiple times during a day of services. Today in the middle of a worship set, the board froze completely. Both external and integrated displays went blank and all buttons were unresponsive except for the faders. All I did was choose a fixture group when the crash was triggered.

Common glitches during operation:
-Fade times will stop affecting changes.
-Multiple cuelists being affected (Go/Release) when only one was selected.
^These cuelists are on a virtual playback bar on the display
-Just overall glitches within the windows: ok/apply/close buttons not responsive.
-Fader (scale effect rate) does not produce a smooth fade.
*Most of these glitches are easily fixed when the console is restarted or windows are closed and reopened. I get about one of the listed glitches per each show.

So my question is: Am I the only one having these issues?? I want to know if it is user error or just common issues.

Thanks in advance

Have you updated to the latest software? When Hog4 first came out, there were a lot of software hangups. Most have been solved in the latest releases. Check to see if you're still in warranty, you may be able to send it back for service.

Another note (yes, please update the console software depending on what version you're on)...

It sounds like the desktop crashed....not the entire console (since playback was still working). You can restart the desktop without restarting the console. Press (and hold) PIG+OPEN+BACKSPACE (like CTRL-ALT-DEL for computers). You will get a popup window. Right click on "Desktop" and click "Restart Desktop."

I run a Roadhog4 in my venue with an external DP and running 12 universes of DMX and we rarely have any glitches.

I used to program for a lot of churches and (quite a few times), the issues with the consoles ended up being things that were programmed into the console unexpectedly. Go through the showfile and make sure things are programmed the way they are meant to.

As far as the "Ok/Apply/Cancel" buttons acting up, this can be seen with dirty touchscreens and or loose connections to the touchscreen inside the console. I've had this happen when a screen had lint in the crevices and the console was having problems seeing touches because it thought it was being pressed in multiple places.

Let me know if I can be of any other help....

Good to know about restarting the console.

As for the console software, I recently updated it to the newest version and I am still having all the same problems it seems like. Some of the problems could be my programming as I have not had any advanced training. Also a side note, the console has been noticeably slower ever since I did the fresh .iso install/update. I'll have to check if the board is still within warranty.

A problem example would be: I have a spot movement cuelist on a master with the fader adjusting the effect rate. Anytime I adjust the rate with the fader, the lights will hold their position until I stop moving the fader (this is more of a problem at slow rates, not so much fast). Therefore I am unable to smoothly ramp the effect rate. In addition to the effect fader, the intensity fader for those specific fixtures will also make the fixtures hold their position while being adjusted. With the intensity fader, it only happens with quick adjustments. Not a problem during a show, just something that confuses me.

For the Ok/Apply/Cancel buttons, I am referring to the ones specifically on the Preferences>Timing page. In one of my view presets, I have the timing window to show up on screen for global adjustments. Sometimes when I call up the view preset to adjust the timing, I can change the value but the buttons are grayed out, not letting me accept the change.

Any ideas on fixing these issues?
Thanks

Good to know about restarting the console.

As for the console software, I recently updated it to the newest version and I am still having all the same problems it seems like. Some of the problems could be my programming as I have not had any advanced training. Also a side note, the console has been noticeably slower ever since I did the fresh .iso install/update. I'll have to check if the board is still within warranty.

A problem example would be: I have a spot movement cuelist on a master with the fader adjusting the effect rate. Anytime I adjust the rate with the fader, the lights will hold their position until I stop moving the fader (this is more of a problem at slow rates, not so much fast). Therefore I am unable to smoothly ramp the effect rate. In addition to the effect fader, the intensity fader for those specific fixtures will also make the fixtures hold their position while being adjusted. With the intensity fader, it only happens with quick adjustments. Not a problem during a show, just something that confuses me.

For the Ok/Apply/Cancel buttons, I am referring to the ones specifically on the Preferences>Timing page. In one of my view presets, I have the timing window to show up on screen for global adjustments. Sometimes when I call up the view preset to adjust the timing, I can change the value but the buttons are grayed out, not letting me accept the change.

Any ideas on fixing these issues?
Thanks

I would post this over at the High End Forums or contact Customer Service. They will probably ask you to send in any log files along with the showfile to take a look at.
forums.highend.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back