Hog vs GrandMA?

Thomas

I need to buy a new console soon. Very soon. I’m torn between HogIII or GrandMA, both of them in their PC instances. Hog is pretty much a standard around here, but a lot of the bigger companies are moving to GrandMA- I’m from a Martin background, using ProScenium first (yes, in a theatre setting), and then LightJockey in recent years (Doing events etc). LightJockey is a joke, no doubt about it, but it can do what you want quickly. I haven't used Hog or GrandMA myself, but they're both serious consoles, and that's the object of the exercise.

I like the Ethernet part of the GrandMA onPC, but don’t trust Ethernet- hell, I can’t get my i-Tech amps to do much either- so I’m more comfortable running DMX cable, especially since I’ve got a really good wireless system already. GrandMA comes with a visualizer, and that's all good, but I don't use LightJockey's visualizer either, so that doesn't really make my day any brighter. Hog has to be fed into WYSIWYG or Visual Sweden, and I don't want to spend money on that just yet. Another plug on GrandMA is the 1-in-1-out function, so I can still stick a manual desk on the line to rock my generics, although at the same time I usually run two separate DMX lines for that anyway- as a redundant backup system.

So, questions of price aside, who recommends what, and why?

Well, that doesn't really answer any of my questions, but thanks anyway guys.

I'll put my vote in for Hog. We use their PC solution at school for various moving light demos and shows and what not, and it's very stable. We're able to Remote Desktop in to the host computer and control it with relatively low latency from the stage (computer with the USB>DMX widget is in the booth, connected in to the DMX input for the theatre). The software doesn't seem to slow down the computer at all (can't tell you the specs of our comp, but it's pretty good). If you've used a hog console before, you know how it is, fairly easy layout. I would say that you should get an X-Keys and use the Hog Layout to do your programming, it helps alot. A trackball (my favorite) is also a great asset for moving fixtures around.

If all you want is a straight answer with no questions asked, MA. Make sure to get some sort of hardware interface though, otherwise pc based lighting can really be a drag*.
Even a couple touch screens might do the trick I suppose.

*No computer pun intended.

The first question I have is always:

is this for you to use or will you rent it out to others? If it's just you, then get the one you're most used to, best price, features, etc.

But if it's for rentals, or for a venue where there are a lot of visiting LD, you have to get what THEY like and what will be the most profitable. That could be an Avo or a Hog or a MA or a bunch of switches on a homemade wooden box.

MA 4tw...I've used both and really like the MA better. MA ethernet is simple to use and simple to wire together with other MA consoles. But sound nerd is right, make sure to get a programming wing of some sorts no matter which way you go. Straight programming on a computer is slow and tedious.

The question I have for you is why a PC instance and not a real board?

Based on the amount I've heard MA's going out or being used on big tours, compared to the amount that the Hog's done the same, I'd have to say MA, hands down. People swear by it, but I've yet to really hear anyone swear by a HogIII (with the iPC or Road Hog available now, maybe it'll draw more people, who knows). I remember that one of the lighting mags did a feature on how the HogIII interface is finally getting accepted as usable (I've heard it used to have compatability issues, or bugs, or whatever).

Again though, I'd have to refer back to the earlier posters (too lazy to look), about who's going to be using it, and why not the actual hardware, just the PC version? (I'm probably preaching to the choir, but have you considered something like the GrandMA pico?)

Another option is the Avolites Diamond 4PC....check it out!

There's also the Jands Vista system to consider for computer-based systems, and jands has put out some control surfaces for their computer-based version of the Vista console recently. Also, check out Chamsys' PC solution, they have programming/playback wings to suit any need.

Right, now I'm getting answers!

Ok, I need the console for myself. I like the laptop for many reasons. One is that it's mine. And it's smaller than a console most of the time. Preference I guess.
So it's me who'll be using it, exclusively.

Any more ideas?

My vote is for the grandMA over the Hog3, every time. When doing a full-size, top of the line console comparison, the grandMA wins in every important category, except price. As for the PC versions, see this thread. Since it's only for yourself, compatibility and what others think doesn't really matter, so check out this product, as a low cost alternative, discussion here.

I really enjoy the gMA, the onPc can be clumsy at times if you come from programming a board version of it works great. Shortcuts in the ONpc are easily set to anything you would like.

Moving onto the DMX-out part of gMA on PC I think there is 2 different types of Nodes, 1-universe and 2- universe. Which is easily expanded by well... adding more boxes or NSP's. OnPC has no issue linking up with the boards or the rest of the network (as long as your version is the same).

And 1 universe of DMX is cheap in comparison to some of the other options for the same price point. However the clumsyness of not having a console is a major deciding factor.

My vote is for the hog for PC it run's the same way as the console does and its kind of hard to fit the 5 foot MA on even a 30 inch cpu screen or smaller like a laptop but if you were buying the console grand MA all the way.

Last edited:
My vote is for the hog the PC it run's the same way as the console does and its kind of hard to fit the 5 foot MA on even a 30 inch cpu screen or smaller like a laptop but if you were buying the console grand MA all the way
Jby007, on your computer's keyboard, on the same key as the ">" is a thing called a period ("hard-stop" for those speaking English). You might have used it in the past on a lighting desk to insert "point" cues.

Try using this little dot, at the end of a thought.
And just to be wise, the letter that follows, Capitalize.
Whether for or against Obama, use the comma.
Nothing rhymes with apostrophe!:(

Here's the thing, if you were buying the actual console than the GrandMA wins. For the software the hog wins. It is much more stable and works well enough that KC and the Sunshine band actually tour with the hog 3 running on a pc, granted with the programing and play back wings.

Here's the thing, if you were buying the actual console than the GrandMA wins. For the software the hog wins. It is much more stable and works well enough that KC and the Sunshine band actually tour with the hog 3 running on a pc, granted with the programing and play back wings.
ooh, I did not know having KC and the sunshine band using a product was a staple of excellence. Considering their rider also calls for mac 500's I don't think that says too much.

No, not a staple of excellence just a helpful real world story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back