HogiPC Question

so i'm confused now, can you put macros in the comment section of a cue? on Hog3...I've only had it work for me in the Macro section. I don't get why you would put it in the comment section when there is a section thats specifically for macros.

If you open the cue lisit, select the Comment section and hit 'Set'. A drop down menu will open up. You can then do all sorts of cool things when the cue is triggered.
For example, when busking, I create a cue lisit for each color and gobo. I then have one blank cue lisit to release color, gobos, positions, etc. So it would look like this in the macro section: RL 1 thru 11. When I then trigger that cue, cue lisits 1 thru 11 will release.

You can do a bunch of other things like trigger cues, lisits, scenes, assert stuff, etc. Extremely useful and makes programing much easier and simplier sometimes if you know how to use cues and marcos. Can also make playback very easy too.

(Sorry for lack of symbols and spelling errors, no spell check and symbols on phone.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry, Mike, my bad. "Comment Macros" are a HogII thing, as there was no Macro column on the cuelist display. (In my defense, when I took the HogIII class [2002?], macros were, like most features, not yet implemented.:()

Sorry, Mike, my bad. "Comment Macros" are a HogII thing, as there was no Macro column on the cuelist display. (In my defense, when I took the HogIII class [2002?], macros were, like most features, not yet implemented.:()

Oh ok. yeah I have been playing a bit with macros to release list so i can use more virtual cuelist without many keystrokes and such. I have a big show in january that I am going to be putting every tip and trick i can get into. I like having gobos and color and position and beam fx all on different cuelist. So this is all going to be put to good use.

Thanks again.

why is it every time i try to go over the top with hog programming, it comes up i'm sorry i've croaked, locks up, for fatal exception yada yada yada.........

I try to keep my programming simple but effective by piling every thing into big cue lists.

my issue with using big cuelist is Tracking. I started cueing without tracking, then i moved to the hog. I know you can turn off tracking every time you press record, but i generally forget. So after I get my cues knocked out, when i get to a rehearsal or sound check or something, when it becomes more of a pain to add stuff. I consider it just learning curve though. But seperate list seems to be working pretty well. especially for big dance shows.

Palettes and blocking cues are your friend. I use a blocking cue at the end of every scene/black out. This way, what I am editing/adding/subtracting only affects the scene I am in.

Palettes are written for just about everything, so instead of finding and updating cues, update the palette. Much simpler.

You don't have to select all of your fixtures to have them record into a palette. If you even just select one of each type of light you have in the rig, make your changes (color, beam, whatever) and then when you record the palette select "More" then "Per Type" in the softkeys on the right touchscreen toolbar, then all of the fixtures you have of the same type will be put into the palette, additionally, if you add another fixture of the same type as one you have recorded into the palette, it will also add into the palette. And additionally additionally, when you merge these palettes into a new show, if you have the same fixture types, you can use the same palettes.

B. Pallets, the way i set mine up is i mix all of the lights to green, then push "active" then "enter". Pushing active grabs a hold of all parameters in the programmer. I then push record then the pallete i want. This will store all of the fixtures ...

has anyone had any problems building fixtures? When I finish I click Build Type, and it says it cannot add type to database.

I should note that i'm using V3.0 on Windows Vista.

Last edited:
Fixture builder on the Hog is known to be very buggy, hence the reason they warn you not to use it and check on the forums at HES for profiles before making one. Otherwise, it is kinda like a crab shot with the fixture builder. Sometimes fixtures turn out fine, sometimes I can't use certain features or the console instantly crashes, other times I simply select the fixture and it crashes.

The other interesting thing I have discovered while making fixtures is once I build them, if I want to add/change/subtract something to the fixture profile, I have to unpatch them and completely restart the console before adding them back into the patch. Otherwise, the console slows to a crawl or crashes if I forget to remove them from the patch.

Your best bet is to make them on the console instead of transferring them over.

Last edited:
my issue with using big cuelist is Tracking. I started cueing without tracking, then i moved to the hog. I know you can turn off tracking every time you press record, but i generally forget. So after I get my cues knocked out, when i get to a rehearsal or sound check or something, when it becomes more of a pain to add stuff. I consider it just learning curve though. But separate list seems to be working pretty well. especially for big dance shows.

You can turn off tracking for the whole cue list if you want to turn it into a cue only board. double press the master number button and select options, then click cue only. Careful as it will affect the whole stack not just one or two cues.

IS there a better way to make blocking cues then to grab all the fixtures touch or zero the values and record?

Last edited:
can you clarify what you mean by blocking cues?

A "blocking," or "block cue" contains hard values for every parameter of every fixture and an intensity for every dimmer channel. Express(ion) called this an "AllFade" and would insert hard zeros for every unused channel. Not only does this prevent information from previous cues from tracking through, but also, in a multiple cuelist situation, it prevents other active cues from altering the look you have recorded (depending on the settings of cuelist priorities).

Understanding and dealing with multiple active cuelists is probably the most difficult aspect to grasp when moving from a single-stack "theatre style" console to a Hog/grandMA/Maxxyz/EonIos.

At a minimum, one probably wants the first cue of each act, as well as all fades to black, and all cues immediately following fades to black, to be "blocked" cues.

concept i get now, do you just select everything you have and put it at zero? or is there a macro or a button to use to create the hard zero settings for you.

No matter what console i use i write all hard zeros for all blackouts. I also set positions for pratically everything. When you are trying to get a console to make your edits track forward, you usually dont want it tracking into a blackout, normally blackouts mean end of scene, and i dont want to effect the lights that i have positioned in the next scene even if they are in the same position, because through rehersals everything and all things will change. If its a big oops and i have to change something through the entire show i just save my change as a pallete, then i just change all of the first cues that are right after the black outs and the blackouts. (this is when position and color palletes are your best friends)

"We have discussed purchasing a combiner, but its too expensive to justify for our needs. being a college, it would need to be a capital expense, and it doesn't pass requirements. seems as though they'd rather pay for another lighting technician to board op a show having conventionals and intelligent lights separate, then getting the device that minimizes the need for the additional console, and we could use our smartfade for things like house lights and dimmer check, and cue the show on the hog...oh well."

Don't think you need a combiner. The LD for one of our shows used our express as an input to the hog2 we were using. Assuming the hog3 has a dmx input, you should be able to do the same thing. He pretty much used the express as extra subs (house, stage wash, ect.) If you set it up like that, I would *think* the dimmer checks would work. As long as the hog was turned on, a green op could use just the subs to run a simple show if need be. Looking up hog3 manual to tell you how to configure the input (I wasn't there when he set it up).

Actually, it was just set up as subs and it only looks like it works with hog2, sorry. Though if anyone has a hog2 and another board you can use the other one as more subs. It is in the old hog2 manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back