Hoisting heavy objects to and from a low grid

kiersplat

I have a pair of Electrovice ETX-10P speakers which individually are about 50lbs. I put ETX-TCA-S truss brackets on both of them. We have about a 9ft-ish high grid in the space that I mounted the speakers to.

When I put the speakers up, my team just passed me the speaker while I was up on a ladder and I swung it into place. A little nerve-wracking but we got it up there. Those speakers are very heavy and I'm not incredibly strong.

The problem is I don't have someone to help me take them down right now (it is what it is) but I need to get them down. I was looking at using a gambrel and pulley hoist but it might be too long accounting for the length of the pulleys and slings. I'll probably buy the gambrel and pulley setup later today since its time sensitive but I wanted to probe some more experienced minds to see if you have any better ideas.

If you have a pipe grid the speakers are mounted on, just throw a rope over it, attach speaker bracket to rope, and lower them down. You don't need a pulley. If you have a secure means to tie off the other end of the rope,
you could probably even do this by yourself (not recommended though).

There’s always someone but if there truly isn’t anyone you are going to have a hell of a time holding the rope and lifting up the slide clamp. I would honestly call a few friends buy them a pizza and say help me for 5 mins for lunch.

I have a pair of Electrovice ETX-10P speakers which individually are about 50lbs. I put ETX-TCA-S truss brackets on both of them. We have about a 9ft-ish high grid in the space that I mounted the speakers to.

When I put the speakers up, my team just passed me the speaker while I was up on a ladder and I swung it into place. A little nerve-wracking but we got it up there. Those speakers are very heavy and I'm not incredibly strong.

The problem is I don't have someone to help me take them down right now (it is what it is) but I need to get them down. I was looking at using a gambrel and pulley hoist but it might be too long accounting for the length of the pulleys and slings. I'll probably buy the gambrel and pulley setup later today since its time sensitive but I wanted to probe some more experienced minds to see if you have any better ideas.
Don’t work alone on ladders. Have a ground person one the other end of a rope simply run over the grid at tied to the speaker bracket. You release the clamp, they lower.

This is pretty much an unchanged product from the block and tackles Bell Systems employees used to hoist 11' equipment racks into place decades ago. My grandfather gave me one he used and its the exact same castings and parts as this one.
The brake dogs in the upper block have never slipped on me. I've used it to lift movers, do all kinds of things with trees, its even in my profile picture as the only hoisting device used to install that 300 lb projection screen. The brakes held it. Now, we would always have someone on the rope as if it wouldn't hold but its an impressive mechanism. Just attach tie-line or whatever to the brakes and pull to lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back