Design Home Made Side Arm..?

Made my own the exact same way as listed above. I strongly urge you to not skimp on time and put cotter pins on each end. I had students build them in shop hours, 3 students across the assembly like, maybe 20 min per, mostly drilling the holes.

When I was in high school, we had three and needed a fourth for a show, so we took an old C-Clamp (I mean Kliegl old) to the metal shop teacher and asked if he would weld it to a 1" pipe. I still use this sidearm to this day.

When I was in high school, we had three and needed a fourth for a show, so we took an old C-Clamp (I mean Kliegl old) to the metal shop teacher and asked if he would weld it to a 1" pipe. I still use this sidearm to this day.

I'll be honest, I personally don't like welded ones if I don't know if I can trust the skill of the welder.

Welding a cast iron clamp to a steel pipe is a tricky joint. Not sure id want that above my head no matter who welded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welding a cast iron clamp to a steel pipe is a tricky joint. Not sure id want that above my head no matter who welded it.

We brought him one of the others we had as a model to go off of. I don't understand the notion of trusting a store-bought one but not an identical home-made one. Granted, I use the store bought ones more, but that's because they are black, and the homemade one is silver.

We brought him one of the others we had as a model to go off of. I don't understand the notion of trusting a store-bought one but not an identical home-made one. Granted, I use the store bought ones more, but that's because they are black, and the homemade one is silver.

Hmm. I must be envisioning something other than what you have in my head, as I don't know company with a side arm that uses a pipe welded to a traditional cast iron c-clamp.

I believe there are such things made of aluminum pipe welded to an aluminum half coupler, I'll have to Google more when I'm not mobile posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back