Home use of Stage Lekos

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
I'm not exactually an amature and know in general why stage Lekos are not supposted to be used in a residential setting besides the fact of a UL listing, however I have seven 3.5q5 Lekos - basically small 3.1/2" lensed 50degree lekos sitting in my storage closet that are my favorite babies and now have a large high ceilinged living room without any overhead lighting. I also have quality dimmers, cable and too much time on my hands.

Recently on another forum a similar discussion was held involving a multi-million dollar estate and owner with far too much money wanting moving lights and I think I was the only one posting naysay points about it - specificially because the moving lights sugguested would be polyphase and I believe that's against code owing to the RF noise or something like that more than anything else given a professional install.

Plan at this point is to install some pipe and drape in the living room anyway and hang a diagonal sway brace across it for stabalization. The living room windows suck and there is nothing like a good layer of stage drape to hold in the heat during winter or at least black out the evil sun. And I acquired a 10'x22' section of drape recently that would just about be perfect for two walls in addition to the rest of the more or less scrap - so the pipe and drape is a given and already laying in the living room.

So I'm thinking, a HX-401 lamp has about half the output of a FLK lamp which would be about right for a small room for maximum intensity. A bit bright on a 375w S-4 Fresnel in my mind's eye memory of the output using a similar lamp and beam spread than I would like but not entirely bad.
Okay, it's three times the output of an Inkie which would be even more right in output, but hopefully it's going to be used at a longer throw than a similar 3" Fresnel would be good for so it could balance out given it's going to put out about 8,000 lumens each with that lamp as opposed to 2,800 Lumens on a Inkie or 16,500 Lumens on a FLK. I would have prefered a 250w lamp but nothing is on the market anymore for that unless I traded the Lekos in for some antique Kliegl RSC small Lekos that would be unsafe.

So, I'm asking the wealth, to help convince me not to install the Lekos as it would not be proper, or sure, go for it, I have similar things installed also, or ideas to watch out for. Given I'm not going to be using equipment that hasn't been brought up to factory spec, and I'll probably also install the upgraded lamp bases in them - electrically it would be okay, any other good safety reasons not to do this?

I would would not recommend this for the normal lighting tech or house, but in this instance it should be assumed that the fixtures would be in mint condition and safe in general both electrically and far enough away not to cause heat problems. I have used Inkies and similar really small fixtures for years at home safely but never broke that threshold of real lights thus I'm seeking some impute before I cross it.

Things like ozone issues or anything like that? Oils in the air from cooking causing un-even cooling and heat retention. Using stage dimmers on a household circuit would probably cause all kinds of phase harmonic noise that's not going to be good for computers, tv's etc. The UL rating is for temporary use of a 8 hour period, longer than that will... I'm scratching in the air for reasons. What ya think?

Thanks either way on the opinion.

Hi Ship,
Sounds like a fun project.. UL wiring is a good start and I'm sure you'll have them wired safer then most of the store bought stuff is nowadays<g>. One of the theatrical lighting company's I use to work for was owned by a firefighter, so this is where I learned the following tidbits to consider about fixtures: The ONLY thing as far as I know that is a big discouragement for this kind of lighting fixture in a home has to do with the amount of HEAT generated by theater fixtures. Theater fixtures get extremely hot, and radiate a lot of heat because of the all metal housing and the higher wattage/higher temperature lamps used. This can be a big fire hazard in a home setting as most homes do not have flameproofed drapes, wood and wall panels to the degree that a theater does, and paint with such heat has been known to give off smells and toxic fumes when burned and will peel prematurely. House paint is not like stage paint..they don't react well to extreme direct heat--and the cieling would be to me the first place the heat would go. Heat sensitive or old wood and wall panels could be susceptable to fire from prolonged high heat. I'm sure you have burned your hands on a hot fixture in your days as I have..they get freeekin hot man! =) 3.5's aren't as bad as a 9...but still they get identically hot..same for inky's and I love inky's..can never have enough of them around a theater. Additionally I know the use of theater lamps--because they can explode and rain molten glass, such falling into a rug which will catch fire will be about the only other thing I would be a bit concerned about. For some reason--I know theater fixtures when they have MED's (Male edison) plugs on them I have noticed the edison plugs do get a lot hotter then stage pins do...not sure if that because of the pin size or what...so I'd make sure they were good 20 amp plugs and 20 amp breakers in your home...and in this case I would suggest GFI's on your wall just to kick off should they overheat.

Aside from the fire-hazard from the heat that they create, I can't think or recall of any other real or major reason to discourage your project. Naturally there are ways to get around the heat issues--like specifying distance between wall and items from the fixtures, changing to a lesser lamp, and adding masking like Blackwrap to redirect some of the heat, or the addition of circulation fans to keep the hot air moving and so it doesnt pool into one area on a ceiling or wall. So don't take this as discourageing you from your project..do take it as a little tidbit of things for consideration. =)

hope that helps...
-wolf

Sounds like a great project. Even if it doesn't work out, you learn interesting bits of info alond the way. If you do decide to move forward with this, will you post some pictures so we may see the finished result?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back