Horn with no driver

echnaret

I recently inherited a pair of speakers from my old college, one of which was missing a horn. I contacted the manufacturer, and was able to get a replacement horn. However, the horn did not come with a driver. Perhaps I was not specific enough, perhaps I'm just new to ordering replacement parts from a manufacturer. Anyways, the horn itself wasn't cheap, so I'm a little worried to contact the company again and ask for the price of driver (I'm also a little embarrassed I didn't specify it in the first place). In case anyone is wondering, the speaker is a 300 watt Grundorf GT 1210. I'm looking for a 1" compression driver.

How much do new drivers typically cost? Could I go out and buy a generic driver for it? Would that even be a good idea? Thanks.

You would have to get the specs on the original driver from the manufacturer to even consider using something else.

The horn and the driver are two separate components and as Phil suggested, if you get anything other than an direct replacement then that can affect the speaker performance. And the specs that would be relevant cover much more than simply being a 1" compression driver.

Another thought is why the horn was missing in the first place and whether that may relate to any potential damage to or problems with the internal crossover or anything else.

Honestly, I would get the correct driver and then sell them.
A pair of used Electro-Voice SX300E will serve you much better.

Another thought is why the horn was missing in the first place and whether that may relate to any potential damage to or problems with the internal crossover or anything else.
How would I check this? I "cross plugged" the one existing horn (tried it out in the horn-less speaker) and didn't hear anything wrong. I'm not sure what the technical term for it is, but the knob on the back of the speaker that controls the tweeter volume is a bit scratchy on one of the speakers, but other than that, they seem fine. I'd hate to drop a hundred or so on a new horn/driver and not have them work, though.

Honestly, I would get the correct driver and then sell them.
A pair of used Electro-Voice SX300E will serve you much better.
I already have a pair of speakers for my mains, I was just hoping to have another set of speakers as backups (or to use as monitors, if I ever needed some). If I did sell them, I'd worry that I wouldn't break even, much less make enough to buy any other speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back