Hot Glue Sprayer

bobgaggle

Just had a rep from Power Adhesives come it and pitch a glue gun. This thing was amazing, let it warm up, hook up your air hose and its ready to go. Given that it weighs 2 pounds and the amount of laminating we do, it seems like a good alternative to the 150lb tank of contact adhesive we wheel around the shop. It has an adjustable pattern and can spray from about 4" wide to a standard glue gun bead. Open time depends on the pattern. Really big pattern means thinner coating and it drys faster, but the upside is you only have to spray one face of the laminated joint and you can place immediately, no waiting for adhesive to dry. My boss glued a piece of 1/4" ABS to some steel 1x1, put it in a vice and pounded it with a hammer 5 times before the bond failed. Our seamstress tried a thin spray between foam, batting and fabric, and the batting tore before the glue failed. The only shortfall we found with all the samples is that it doesn't bond to marley very well. We make small marley covered platforms and have had issues with whatever adhesive we use telegraphing through the marley

Anyone ever used one of these? Seems like a a great tool with many applications but I haven't seen one used in a scene shop before. Maybe cost is a factor, I'm not sure what the tool costs but the glue is well priced

Also depending on how you spray it you can get some cool textures too. We use it when setting up haunted attractions and walk throughs.

Do you have a link to the product page?

Wow $850. I can see why its not used for theater that much.

https://www.hotmelt.com/products/power-adhesives-tec-7100-multi-load-pneumatic-glue-gun

this is the souped up version of the one we tried out. Has a hopper where you can load extra glue slugs and reduce down time. Glue is $150 and up for 22lb cartons. Site says about 176 glue slugs per carton. When we tried it out we got around 4 square feet of spray per slug, depending on spray pattern. you could spray 22 sheets of 4x8 for $150. Now I gotta crunch the numbers and see how much it would cost to cover twice the area with contact adhesive. (since you'd have to spray both sides of whatever you're gluing with contact adhesive)

I was talking about this at the shop and it turns out I've seen a similar product before. We used basically the same thing with a really small tip to do glow in the dark spider webs last Halloween. I didn't remember the tool , but the effect was really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back