House dimmer programming

Page 10 does have a little about the take control PCB.

Some info that may or may not be helpful:
The church I used to work at had something very similar to the Remembrance stuff, I think it was either an older version or just a "simpler" one. There weren't any fader stations, just a couple single button panels that were set to take control of the house lights from one of two locations. Either one could turn the lights on (full) or off (regardless of which last switched their state). However, they were somewhat independent of the console, meaning, if the buttons had those lights on, the board couldn't control them. I believe they were set, as in which dimmers to control, via a computer hooked up to the dimmer rack. This system was all Leviton/NSI, so yours could operate quite differently from what I'm describing.

The church I used to work at had something very similar to the Remembrance stuff, I think it was either an older version or just a "simpler" one. There weren't any fader stations, just a couple single button panels that were set to take control of the house lights from one of two locations. Either one could turn the lights on (full) or off (regardless of which last switched their state). However, they were somewhat independent of the console, meaning, if the buttons had those lights on, the board couldn't control them. I believe they were set, as in which dimmers to control, via a computer hooked up to the dimmer rack. This system was all Leviton/NSI, so yours could operate quite differently from what I'm describing.

In fact, if either box's green power light is on, it overrides the relevant channels on our Smartfade; when we start up for a show, we have to take-back-over with the upstairs box, and then shut it back off -- at which point, the Smartfade then has control over those 4 channels.

So I think JD has it nailed: I need to reprogram the 4 faders to do what I want, and then (re-)patch the takeover button so that it brings up all 4 analog inputs on that mini-board.

And then find the guy who decided that screwing it up was a pretty neat idea, and lynch him. :)

Sounds like you got it figured out!

Just be careful with that last part. Be sure you have a good place for the body before proceeding!

This is a Remembrance console. It's very, very common and easy to program if it's set up in DMX. If it's analog, it is basically hardwired to your house light controls. If you are using the DMX version, turn it off. Set your lighting board to the DMX values you want. Press the button and hold it down for about 5-7 seconds. After that time, continue to hold the button and then slide up one fader to full quickly. Release the switch. Turn it off and on and you're good to go. Try again if you are not coordinated!

This is a Remembrance console. It's very, very common and easy to program if it's set up in DMX. If it's analog, it is basically hardwired to your house light controls. If you are using the DMX version, turn it off. Set your lighting board to the DMX values you want. Press the button and hold it down for about 5-7 seconds. After that time, continue to hold the button and then slide up one fader to full quickly. Release the switch. Turn it off and on and you're good to go. Try again if you are not coordinated!

Apparently, I'm not coordinated. :)

I *finally* (yes, 2 years later; shut up) got around to trying this. It's either not working -- and the first fader was already set where I wanted -- or it works, but only on the first fader.

I tried setting other faders during the same hold-down cycle, and they just fade up what's programmed. I tried setting them during a separate hold-down cycle, and I still get no change in what they're programmed to.

Is the power button supposed to start blinking when programming mode's engaged or something?

Maybe the last guy in flipped the locking jumper...

Apparently, I'm not coordinated. :)

I *finally* (yes, 2 years later; shut up) got around to trying this. It's either not working -- and the first fader was already set where I wanted -- or it works, but only on the first fader.

I tried setting other faders during the same hold-down cycle, and they just fade up what's programmed. I tried setting them during a separate hold-down cycle, and I still get no change in what they're programmed to.

Is the power button supposed to start blinking when programming mode's engaged or something?

Maybe the last guy in flipped the locking jumper...
There is a lockout function on these panels. Sometimes they are very difficult to program... if your fingers don't hit the button exactly as it likes, you may have to try again. There is an internal "programming" LED (near the top) but you would have to take the panel out of the box to see it. Are you sure the panels are DMX? I have a problem with every DMX Remembrance panel myself... the lights never go to full even if they are programmed that way!

You could call NSI/Leviton. Generally I've had to leave a contact number, but in all instances they have actually called back in the time-frame they said they would and have been helpful in troubleshooting problems. Your mileage may vary.

You could call NSI/Leviton. Generally I've had to leave a contact number, but in all instances they have actually called back in the time-frame they said they would and have been helpful in troubleshooting problems. Your mileage may vary.
I'm pleased to report the same experiences with NSI/Leviton's service department. I've even managed to reach knowledgeable individuals after only a brief time on hold rather than having to wait around for a callback. I won't try to tell your they're ETC but I can report having had more than satisfactory experiences 100% of the time, thus far, based upon less than five calls with five problems.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back