House lights!

Well hello there!

I'm not sure if anyone out there actually deals with this kind of thing directly, as stage lighting is much more fun to talk about... but I suppose we'll see!
I work for a small non-profit that holds many events/lectures that are often filmed and live streamed. Our "theater"/classroom was a warehouse that still has the good ol' industrial strength mercury vapor lighting that burns brightly, take 10 minutes to turn on, and make all things look...well, like it's in a warehouse.
Slowly but surely we're making the room more comfortable and theater-like. Now I have my sights set on either removing or bypassing those big monstrosities that burn my retinas and radically disagree with the color of our stage lights (not many gels, just some fresnel 1ks and source fours au naturel). Everything looks great in film on the stage. But if they move off, or if we get some shots of the audience, they magically get turned into dark blue smurfs due to the different color temp.

We always have had a more artistic side, and as it stands now, the room is on its' way to becoming like a black box. The walls are black, and the ceiling is next...the problem is I don't know what could either replace or be used instead of those warehouse lights short of putting in a drop ceiling and recessed cans. That would be very expensive. I'm a video editor and producer, not a lighting expert! (or a doctor). But in the world of non-profits, we often wear many hats.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would work here? Suspended or mounted directly to the metal beams at the ceiling perhaps. I dunno. In our more eccentric moments we considered having floor or street lamps all over the place. Like Narnia. It only went downhill from there ;). We were tired.
The only qualification is the lighting needs to be bright enough on the floor so people can read and take notes, and possibly be dimmed for when we do show media or have some fun performance stuff going on. Ceiling is about 30' high.

If you can find some old scopes or 1k fresnels, you could use those, with or without gel. Then you have a dimmable solution, that you could have gel in when it's wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be careful working on the existing lights - high bays are often run on 277 volts...
/mike

Scoops or Pars with wide flood lens would be my vote. I've seen it done many ways, including some regular old track light style fixtures that took a "standard household" par lamp.

You may consider leaving the high bays in place for work sessions. They'll generate less heat and draw less power for the light output. During working hours you probably won't care about the lower quality of light but having some energy savings would be a good thing.

Are they Mercury, or are they Metal Halide?
If they are MH, you may be able to obtain lamps that have a far more natural color to them. You need to find out for sure what type they are, what lamp is in them, and what ballasts are in the fixtures. Some ballasts can run mercury or MH lamps. Google "color corrected metal halide lamps"
If you do find something that works on paper, try a couple out first.

This pdf is interesting: http://lightingdesignlab.com/ldlnews/ceramic_metal_halide_sd.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back