House manager vs. stage manager

I'm sorry about the relationship between your house manager and stage manager...
When I SM, I make a point of introducing myself to the house manager. The HM for smaller shows is often a parent volunteer (whose knowledge of house management is they get to wear a tag around their neck with the title) so often I have to find them and ask specifically how much longer they need, or if they're ready on time a couple times before I actually start. For larger shows, we often have event coordinators acting as the HMs, but it's still important to seek them out and make sure everyone is up to date on the plans.
Of course, don't start without the HM's g-o. :grin:

The HM for smaller shows is often a parent volunteer (whose knowledge of house management is they get to wear a tag around their neck with the title) so often I have to find them and ask specifically how much longer they need, or if they're ready on time a couple times before I actually start.

I often have similar issues with our off season events at the Pageant, except I'm filling the role of Facilities Manager (The guy with the keys) rather than Stage Manager. By exercising a little bit of patience and remembering that I'm not dealing with professionals, I'm usually able to smooth over any issues that come up.;)

I often have similar issues with our off season events at the Pageant, except I'm filling the role of Facilities Manager (The guy with the keys) rather than Stage Manager. By exercising a little bit of patience and remembering that I'm not dealing with professionals, I'm usually able to smooth over any issues that come up.;)
I don't mean they don't do their jobs well, they always can get everyone seated, answer audience member questions. Sometimes the parent HM will bring up leftover concessions on closing night... :mrgreen:
I was just exhibiting no matter who the HM is, you should wait. (Disclaimer: Unless of course the HM is a psycho holding the audience hostage because he is seeking revenge for being stuck in a theater as a child...) As it's been said, It's important to keep the audience and actors safe.

About holding the house, how much leeway do theaters give based on traffic? For example, there was a sig alert (Do people outside of California know what a sig alert is? To put it simply: huge accident!) on the junction of two major freeways leading to our school a couple years ago, when the show was held for probably around 45 minutes. :confused:

I don't mean they don't do their jobs well, they always can get everyone seated, answer audience member questions. Sometimes the parent HM will bring up leftover concessions on closing night... :mrgreen:
I was just exhibiting no matter who the HM is, you should wait. (Disclaimer: Unless of course the HM is a psycho holding the audience hostage because he is seeking revenge for being stuck in a theater as a child...) As it's been said, It's important to keep the audience and actors safe.

Agreed! Just because you're dealing with an amateur volunteer does not mean you're dealing with an incompetent.;) Sometimes, though, the volunteer house manager can use a little guidance from those of us who are professionals. I've found that most of the time they are more than willing to listen to any advice I may have for them.

About holding the house, how much leeway do theaters give based on traffic? For example, there was a sig alert (Do people outside of California know what a sig alert is? To put it simply: huge accident!) on the junction of two major freeways leading to our school a couple years ago, when the show was held for probably around 45 minutes. :confused:

I've had shows held as long as an hour due to road closures. With only three routes into Laguna Beach it can take that much longer to get into town when Laguna Cyn. Rd. is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back