How are ya?

Hey my name is Stephen, found the this site through google while I was looking for followspot tips. I just recently got a job at a local Theater and work lights, sound, sound effects, and followspot. It gets busy but its quite fun. I'm mainly a sound mixer (so official sounding huh?) at my church and having to work on more then that at work has been a challenge. Its interesting sound has taken up the past 4 years of volunteer work but I'm actually planning to go to college to get a bachelor of applied science in Air traffic management with an emphasis on Air Traffic control. Yea, thats the name. Anyway I can't wait to get involved here.

I look forward to talking and contributing to the forums!

-Stephen

Welcome, Unmanedpilot. You don't need no stinkin' google, once you've found us.:) We have our own search, right at the top of the page, between "New Posts" and "Quick Links." Anything not already covered, feel free to ask!

Since you're new, here are some links to help you out:
Here's a 30 post thread about "aiming tips." Here's a thread about how to soften a followspot's edge. Here's my favorite site on followspot operation.

Have a good time, and keep on "pushing tin."

Welcome to the booth Stephen! There's a lot to learn here and a lot to waste your time just having fun with too. It's a great community and we love adding new people to the mix. So jump in, post and ask, we won't bite... except for Hughesie.

welcome aboard. Ask questions, answer when you can. There are many people with lots of knowledge who are more than willing to share. Make yourself at home!

Wow ! Going into one of the most stressful, under appreciated jobs in the world and what do you with your spare time ? Be a technician? I though I was Masochistic!. :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard! Ask lots, answer what you can.

Don't listen to most of these naysayers, Unmanedpilot. It appears you are in very good company. To quote from Concert Lighting, Techniques, Art, and Business, James L. Moody. Focal Press, 1989. Page 50 (on the topic of calling followspot cues for rock concerts):

"When I was an air traffic controller, I learned something that is generally overlooked. Speech pattern, meter, and accent are very important. If an operator cannot understand you, he will not be able to do the cue properly...The Air Force says that the Midwestern accent can best be understood by every English-speaking person...As air traffic controllers, we were taught that sixty words a minute was the speed at which we were to talk; and I still find this a good speed for show cuing..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back