How can I combine multiple sources into one set of headphones?

My Motorola radio's Speaker/Mic has an 1/8" standard headphone jack. I want to be able to hear my radio and laptop or phone on one set of headphones. Maybe also connect my clear-com feed in as well. I was looking for a passive option and have come across a schematic for a simple signal combiner with individual potentiometers for each input. I'm sure it would work for the radio and laptop but it really doesn't isolate the individual sources from potential cross interference. I've come across some wired in-ear musician's packs but are too pricey just for convenience.

Any ideas or suggestions?

In my experience, your Motorola has a 1/8 inch non standard jack. Over the years we went through a bunch of radios
the motorolas had a jack that was just a teeny bit longer or shorter (cant remember) Bottom line.. you couldn't just
plug anything in and get it to work. Do a side by side with your headset, line up the base with a set of ear buds, and you
will see .. I think the motorola is longer.

We could only get about a season out of an FRS radio because the jacks don't like the repeated strain, and start to pop
or worse the radio sees the mic re register, and flips the radio into default which is vox mode.

Just one of the reasons I abandoned them

In my experience, your Motorola has a 1/8 inch non standard jack. Over the years we went through a bunch of radios
the motorolas had a jack that was just a teeny bit longer or shorter (cant remember) Bottom line.. you couldn't just
plug anything in and get it to work. Do a side by side with your headset, line up the base with a set of ear buds, and you

We could only get about a season out of an FRS radio because the jacks don't like the repeated strain, and start to pop
or worse the radio sees the mic re register, and flips the radio into default which is vox mode.

Just one of the reasons I abandoned them

Not Really Asked, but I've had (6) Midland GTX1000 V4 with TAPaulk Pro (security earsets) and they've worked great, as a passable Backstage/FOH com system for places calls and emergancy. Nothing beats a Partyline system for calling a show but these radios have worked great for me.

Yea, the Motorola 1/8" is a bit different -- BUT the standard Motorola fist mic has a standard 1/8" headphone jack on the side. When I run deck tracks I keep the biscuit on my shirt and use a single earphone so I can talk back from the fist mic without it making noise during the show.

You'd have to get some sort of passive mixer, or make one yourself that is built to your needs. It's not too hard of a project to DIY. This is probably the white paper I link to the most in my life. While it's not 100% applicable in this situation, it still has some applicable info.

It seems like you asked about a "passive" solution rather than active. I don't think you'll get a passive solution that'll prevent signal contamination on cross or return talk. That's just the nature of the beast. The mini field mixers are good night to be your best hope. They'll run on a.c. Via power wart, battery, & some off of USB. I don't know how long they'll run on battery. They have Independent pots on each input and output master pot. You may have to purchase the correct size Jack, either cut off the existing connector and solder a new terminator or make an adapter...or have one made.

If someone knows of a passive solution that prevents cross-talk, I'd like to look at the schematic. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back