How can I fix my light board?

Rem

I have an old lehigh millennium 48/96 light board with windows 95. It crashes and freezes often and randomly. Is there a way I could fix or update the system?

That might be too easy:). I was hoping for a more hands on project, and it's nothing urgent, I'm getting a new board and will use the lehigh again when the new theatre is built. Does anybody know exactly what causes freezes and crashes?

Well, it IS a Lehigh. Some of what your are experiencing are features, not bugs.

Seriously though, it could be because it's based on Win95, where freezes and crashes were regular events and is one of the reasons Apple is still in business.

But in truth, no idea, though calling the folks at Lehigh would be a start. I met some of these folks at a conference once and they are realy nice folks and probably will get you up and running.

I think I found the cause of the problem and I don't think there is a solution. After messing around with an old computer of mine with windows 95 it was not long before I got the blue screen. I read it, and I think it is caused by either too hard of a task for the system to perform, or it is taking too long to perform a task and the computer gives up. It is just the way windows 95 is.

Well, 95 was weak and buggy, but in a dedicated environment (like a board) with no internet access and no additional software, even 95 should be strong enough. It may have just accumulated enough system errors to become crash prone. If there is a way clean and reload the operating system and interface, it may work better.

I would run disk scan and defrag. If possible I would see if you could upgrade to 98 or xp. It would be a lot less buggy. At the bare minimum I would reinstall 95. Also make sure all of your windows updates are current.

I have considered these possibilities. I was going to test the lighting program on newer operating systems. I'm also currently looking for my windows 95 disc, so far I've only found my microsoft ms-dos discs:).

By the way all of the old shows have been erased and the hard drive is defragmented and it still has problems. I am suprized I actually found my windows 95 disc, after 16 years and it was right in front of my face!

I have an old lehigh millennium 48/96 light board with windows 95. It crashes and freezes often and randomly. Is there a way I could fix or update the system?

You really need to call the factory to repair the console. The operating system is not the problem. It is likely the hard drive, motherboard, or even ram. We had a motherboard issue from a particular manufacturer for stretch of production. This could be the cause and we would upgrade to a board that will eliminate the problem.

Having opened it up and attempted your own repair with Windows installation only makes it harder to resolve your problem at the factory. There are policies in place as well as limitations on what executables are allowed to run. There are special registry edits in place as well.

These days there is not a console on the market that isn't running XP embedded windows. The Millennium was the first console to integrate (embed) a GUI based interface into a lighting console.

It initially used Window95, subsequently Win98, and eventually WinXP. The successor console (Rendition) uses XP embedded. I can say that from 95 thru to XP the operating system itself never caused problems. Even Win95 was very stable because the only application that ran was the console software.

Typically crashes, etc. are caused caused by application software bugs or hardware related. We have not needed to provide software support to correct bugs for Millennium in years, so the application software is solid.

Again, seek help from the factory, your problem will be resolved.

The light board has been sent off at least 3 times without luck, and fixing it is very low priority. It has been upgraded to win 98.

Sounds like it could be one of many older computer issues, as these things get old they just start to fail. check the power supply, caps and diodes on the motherboard, flash in the ram, HDD, heck it could be anything...

Might I suggest a 16 pound, micrometer, fine adjustment tool?
McMaster-Carr

:)

I see what you did there ;)

Might I suggest a 16 pound, micrometer, fine adjustment tool?
McMaster-Carr

:)

That is for performing percussive realignments. Performing a percussive realignment (i.e. beat/bang on it until it works :lol: ) is a very effective* procedure!

*effective at reliving stress and elevating the general demeanor of the person performing the procedure. It actually fixes the problem once in a while, too!

Win98 was still buggy. Granted it wasn't as bad as Win95 (when, if you only had a dozen crashes a day you were doing good) but it could/would crash more than anyone liked. If you can, try upgrading to XP...much more stable than 98/98SE and it's still DOS-based.

For the record, I don't think XP is really DOS-based. 98 (and maybe Me) were the last versions to be DOS-based. Starting with NT, Windows had its own kernel. XP is just an enhancement of NT, so it is NT-based. It still has a command prompt, but it is not DOS.

I worked in the computer field too long to like hearing that our consoles are computer based! :grin: Please don't tell me my console is just a $8000 computer :lol: I know too much about computers to like using one to control my lights. All kidding aside, my Express treats me well.

I worked in the computer field too long to like hearing that our consoles are computer based! :grin: Please don't tell me my console is just a $8000 computer :lol: I know too much about computers to like using one to control my lights. All kidding aside, my Express treats me well.

You console is an $8,000 computer, with...
  • Updated hardware to maintain reliability in show critical conditions;
  • Additional interfaces to connect to a DMX network;
  • Specialized software to take advantage of DMX interfaces;
  • No bloat-ware to slow down software;
  • US based support.
  • Thoroughly tested to ensure reliability.

I'd be happy with all of that.

Last edited:
You console is an $8,000 computer, with...
  • Updated hardware to maintain reliability in show critical conditions;
  • Additional interfaces to connect to a DMX network;
  • Specialized software to take advantage of DMX interfaces;
  • No bloat-ware to slow down software;
  • US based support.

I'd be happy with all of that.

not to mention the hardware is thoroughly tested to ensure the reliability(it takes a set of hardware to make a computer not just individual good parts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back