How can I make an actor climb up a wall?

zmanb

My school is doing Steven Dietz Dracula this year, and the director wants to have Dracula climb up a wall on stage. Any ideas how to do this? It will be a pretty tall wall, perhaps as tall as possible. Any ideas with how to build the wall and how to rig it?
Thanks!

You mean like this?
proxy.php

There are a number of flying effects companies that can do this for you, and the founder of one of them is now apparantly part of CB.

Hall Associates Flying Effects: Flying Effects for Stage, Theatre, Church, Concerts, Cirque Style Artists | Flying Performers, Theatrical Flying, Illusions | Hall Associates Flying Effects

D2 Flying Effects: D2 Flying Effects - Welcome!

Foy: Flying by Foy - Best flying effects for stage, theatre, film, ice,church angels, TV, for those wanting the best in Theatrical Flight
The list goes on, just KNOW this: you CAN'T do this yourself. You MUST hire professionals. If you need to know why, send me a private message. Thanks!
:)

Liability wise without a certified rigger on site I would find another way to pull off the effect.
One way is to have another clone actor already on top of the way and the actor on the bottom could "disappear" with a cloud of haze / BLACK OUT, or smoke then "appear" on top of the wall ( CLONE ACTOR) - who then turns his cape in such a way no one knows, then cut the scene.
There are rigging units that can fly someone up a wall but they are pricey and like I said liability would be crazy.

The main questions I have are:

-How tall is the "wall"
-How large is the house and how far is the wall from the house?

If it's not terribly big, my first response is to *not* make a wall, but a shallow stair/ladder with concealment effect. Of course, anything taller than a 6' platform I would NOT do without rigging (in most theaters... of course, if your house doesn't give a flying fig [edited..sorry] about liability their requirements may be different).

Now, I know exactly how I would do it, and that I would be confident in it's build, but I'm not a certified rigger (just a welder) and that could open the pandora's box of liability.

If you don't want to go into flying a person to do it, you could potentially fly a marionette. Essentially, you would have the actor look like he was going to climb and then, through the magic of theater, be replaced by a stunt double/dummy (Buster, wherefore art thou Buster?). Would it look look as convincing as someone actually climbing? Probably not, but that's what the suspension of disbelief is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back