How can we design concrete bases to achieve a similar look to this?

1608285519904.png

1608285537752.png

You'd need to talk to your local concrete people to see what's available. I suspect it would not be too difficult to get this sort of a look as a skin coat or other surface treatment, with more traditional reinforced concrete forming the core of the base (and giving it well-defined strength properties). The top one appears to me to use relatively large stones as the aggregate, the lower one seashells, and perhaps both with some sort of brushing or other surface treatment as the concrete sets to reveal more of the aggregate than would normally be visible; however, I'm certainly no concrete expert and have at best a pretty rudimentary understanding of the processes involved.

A couple of thoughts:

Given your previous posts I'm guessing this is the concrete base of unknown weight and shape that will be outside on uncertain soil conditions that holds up a 2500mm steel sail in hurricane winds. Since CB has already recommended you seek the counsel of an engineer, my suggestion would be that you manufacture your bases to the engineer's specs then, like @DrewE said, clad the surface in your desired finish, mortar or stucco mix with sea shells and rocks jammed into it.

Last edited:
@ConcreteBase, I'm going to second what @bobgaggle has said. You need some degree of local expertise- there are too many variables to get every answer just by asking the internet. May I ask where exactly does your skill and experience lie, and what role do you play in this project? You almost seem like a one man operation, but you keep saying "we". Tell us about your team, maybe we can better help you utilize the people you already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back