Design How could you do this?

Shawncfer

Okay, So I just asked to do a Wedding and I told them everything I could do and got everything figured out. They told me they wanted a gobo with their names in it hitting the middle of the dance floor. So this is still okay! Custom gobo with a hot pink gel they asked.

But what I dont know how to do is get a light hitting straight down! What do I hang it on.

The reception is in a ballroom with regular ceiling tiles. And Im working with a S4 575. What can I hang the light on to get it to go straight down, or produce sometime along those lines?

Nearest hang position. The angle is fine if its not too far off.

This won't get your instrument straight down, but if you have a point close to straight to hang on this may help/fix your problem.

Since they want a gobo with their names in it I will assume you are having it custom made, if you already have it this will do you no good at the moment. If you can figure out where you're going to hang the instrument before you have the gobo made (even an approximation would help), you can approximate how the text should be so that it appears as it would even from an angle.

To quote Keith from this thread - http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6954-custom-gobo-keystone-correction.html

And that's really the best way to approach a keystoning issue. Merely give the maker a few pieces of info:

*) Trim height
*) Distance to projection surface
*) Offset angle of projection (how far left or right of center)

The rest is a walk in the park! (And yes, we still have a bunch of gum if you'd like some.)

Don't project it in the middle of the dance floor, as nobody will see it, especially if they are dancing. I know it sounds great but the reality will leave them disappointed.

Throw the image on a white wall somewhere, preferably opposite the table the just hitched couple is sitting at. Add a couple of extra units with fireworks gobo's or something alongside "Kathy and Jimmy 4 Evah" and maybe an set of LED Par washes with changing colors to make the wall look interesting.

SB

Don't project it in the middle of the dance floor, as nobody will see it, especially if they are dancing. I know it sounds great but the reality will leave them disappointed.

Throw the image on a white wall somewhere, preferably opposite the table the just hitched couple is sitting at. Add a couple of extra units with fireworks gobo's or something alongside "Kathy and Jimmy 4 Evah" and maybe an set of LED Par washes with changing colors to make the wall look interesting.

SB

At this point it would be much simpler to get a couple of projectors and throw up all sorts of content. Then when someone misspells the happy couple's names, you can edit it right quick, and you can change the color and texture of the back wall too!.

What is above the dropped ceiling? Usually there are any number of ceiling trusses and beams that you could rig a single unit to with beam clamps or spansets and pipe. Are there any 'airwalls' in the room? You could use an 'Airwall hanger' to hang your light. Your other problem is going to be getting power to the light without it looking ugly.

If you're talking regular drop ceiling stuff on of these will do.
Mole-Richardson Adapter - Scissor Clip to Baby Stud 500939 - B&H

Most rental compaines carry them.

J

I would not use that to hold a Source 4 Leko without a safety cable. Those clips are designed to hold inky fresnels and par cans that weigh about 10lbs less. You also need a TVMP adapter for the fixture itself if you do go with the baby-stud. The best method would be to find out what's above the drop ceiling and clamp on to it with the apropriate hardware or keystone the gobo and shoot it from the side on a pipe and base.

I would not use that to hold a Source 4 Leko without a safety cable.

To be fair, you should not use ANYTHING to hold a S4 without a safety cable. Or anything for that matter.

On a more serious note, that clamp should not be used AT ALL to hold anything aside from a really light par can. Drop ceilings are rated to hold the weight of the ceiling itself and a little over. They should not be used for hanging anything like a Source Four. Ever.

Grip tools like the above come up pretty regularly. In general, grip rigging clamps are intended to be used in temporary circumstances (a day or less) and used in areas that are not open to the general public. Those clamps are designed to go into an office building/school/whatever, hang a small fresnel, do a shoot with a CEO, and then come down 2 hours later. They are not designed to hold up a 15# light 20' in the air over the general public. There are all kinds if gaffers tackle out there that should never be used outside of a film shoot where everyone is "in the know" about what is going on.

Or else this might happen.:)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or else this might happen.:)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Someone who commented on that video knows their theatre...

fake. lights like that ALWAYS have a safety wire attached to them and the beam its mounted on. if they fall the wire catches it. if they don't have those on all mounted lights, there are serious penalties for the studio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone who commented on that video knows their theatre...

To be fair its not quite accurate. In our area, you dont NEED to safety instruments hung over talent, just over audience. However, it is reccomended to safety everything. Its clearly a fake, but for other reasons.

Howcome the gobo needs to point straight down? I have seen something similar were the fixture is on a truss on one side of the room and the gobo is pointed at where the floor is. Depending on the room there might be some stretching happening. But unless you want to mount it to the ceiling, seems to be the only way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back