How do I find an experienced LD/electrician to help overhaul our school's lighting system?

Stuart R

Greetings everyone –

I am a longtime high school theatre jack-of-all-trades (master of none?) just starting as new position as arts program chair at a private K-12 in Miami FL. For the first time in (expurgated) years, I am not actually teaching children! I am, however, responsible for a bunch of people who are, and for our current performance space, which is a (wait for it…) cafetorium.

I have two challenges that I’d love some advice on from this community, the first of which is lighting related, but they both have to do with the challenge of finding/connecting with the kind of competent and reliable tech theatre folks who are willing to work with after school theatre programs (non-union, of course).

Challenge 1: Our cafetorium is been equipped with some decent lighting infrastructure and equipment over the years, but over the last few years, it’s been a bit neglected. I hear tales of circuits that don’t work, and see some very interesting cable runs overhead. Our inventory of 60-70 lighting instruments runs the gamut from LED Source 4s (a few) and PARs, to some old Altman fresnels, and a few lights that I think may have gotten shoved under the stage during the Johnson administration. We’re running an ETC Element board, and also have two moving lights, though I haven’t been on a ladder yet to see what they are. What I want to do is to hire someone in to help me get this whole system/apparatus whipped into shape (sort of like hiring a trainer for a majorly creaky and overweight couch potato). In my mind, this person would:

· Inspect and test lighting infrastructure and equipment (includes testing dimmers, circuits, electrics, and instruments, with assistance from school staff)

· Suggest steps for bringing lighting set-up up to date in terms of safety, best practices, and inventory, via repairs, reorganization, and/or new purchases

· Prepare simple reference blueprints/schematics of performing space, lighting grid and circuitry

· Using existing inventory as much as possible, design a Rep Plot that can be used for most non-theatrical events in the space, with basic area lighting, rear cyc washes, limited specials for speakers, etc.

· Prepare written instructions for basic operation of the lighting system, and train key staff in how to at least work with the Rep Plot and provide basic lighting for (non-theatrical) school events.

The question is, where do I find such a person, and what might it be fair to pay them for these tasks? That leads me directly to…

Challenge 2: Once our infrastructure is back to reasonable health (I want to get our sound system/equipment looked at as wel), I want to start hiring area tech pros to work with our kids on our afterschool productions. The first person I’d hire would be a combination TD/LD, who would be part time at first, but within a year or two become a full-time staff member, running the theatre, and teaching some theatre classes. After that, I can see hiring any of the following on a show-by-show basis: set designer/carpenter, sound designer/engineer, painter/props artisan, costume designer/wardrobe, makeup/hair, and so on, in each case having these folks train our kids as they go. The last time I had to find these people, about 15 years, I lived in San Francisco, and there were a couple of websites/publications where tech theatre folk from professionals to enlightened amateurs could post their resumes, and where schools and theatres could post jobs and gigs. Now I’m newly arrived to south Florida, and have no idea how to find these folks, assuming they’re out there. I’ve looked on line, obviously, and there are a couple of audition announcement sites and a Florida theater association, but their “job bank” has nothing from the tech realm.

So, to recap, I need advice on locating an experienced lighting pro who has seen it all, and who can help me whip our system into shape. I also need advice on how to find and connect with tech theatre professionals who would enjoy working with our after school theatre program (at least one of whom will land a Real Job here). Thank you in advance for your expertise, and please accept my apologies for the world’s longest posting.

Stuart Rosenthal

For your first Challenge - have you reached out to an integrator like Barbizon (happens to be the first who comes to mind, I know that they do a fair amount of work with these sorts of things, and I've helped our local Barbizon folks do some similar projects, but I'm sure there are others as well)?
They'll not only have folks, either on staff or in their orbit, who can help with all of those tasks, they'd also be able to source new parts / equipment / etc. through their dealerships, etc. and would also have the connections into the electrical/construction world to bring anything up to code that wouldn't pass.
Good luck!

Stuart- I would be happy to put you in touch with our (Barbizon's) South Florida offices in Miramar. Email me your details and I can have someone reach out. Tobin ([email protected])

I think you need a consultant, not a sales rep, someone who for a lump sum fee will look out for your best interests. I have too often found that someone associated with a vendor will recommend replacement over repair and reuse. It is simpler and safer.

I agree with Bill. Consultant all th way. Someone that will listen to your wants and needs and tell you what you actually need out of all that.

They might be a middle man to the sales reps but they will have your best interest in mind and set you on the right path.

@MNicolai is down there and could give you some suggestions.

Agree with Bill

I own (2) companies in Canada and have been in the industry since the late 70's
Scenework- a theatrical integrator
Arkadium- manufacture of theatrical distribution

It is great if you can go to a supplier you know and trust.

However if you just accept a sales proposal there is a chance you will only see a system that they can provide
and a better chance that they will not have a good hands on of re purposing existing gear.

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with a school who had previously asked for pricing on upgrading their system to LED
we took their present inventory and replaced it one to one with LED profile spots.
their console was a Strand 200, so we indicated that a two scene manual preset desk 15 years old would also need to be replaced.

Surprise, a local music store was able to sell them the same number of LED DMX controlled fixtures for less money
told them the 200 would be just fine as it pushed out DMX.

hey they are LED so they all have to be equal (right)

Bringing in a consultant, who has your best interest at hand is the proper move.
just make sure that nothing is cold speced.

I agree that a consultant can play a useful role for venues like this, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking for here, or the situation that they're in here.
They seem to be knowledgeable enough about what they have (ie know an LED Source 4 from an Altman fresnel) and about what they need to get their operations up to speed (i.e. needing maintenance, drawings, rep plot, etc) that I interpreted the first part of their request as more something that would take the form of a service call from a well-established theatrical service provider, perhaps bringing in a designer or consultant to draw up and execute the rep plot, but not the other way around....definitely well beyond what the local music store would be able to offer. 8)

I think @DanH's take is on the right path. It sounds like the immediate need is for someone freelance or on part-time status with the school to triage the room into good working, organized order, and who can be available to support events and do general upkeep on the inventory. Offstage Jobs is probably a good place to post a job description for an LD/TD with the necessary credentials/experience.

Another good way to get leads is to call up the theater faculty or tech director at the local universities and see if there are any recent grads with strong organizational capacity for something like this. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who's also got a toe in the water for arts education. I would start with University of Miami, who has a developed BA/BFA theater design/production/SM program.

In @BillConnerFASTC's vein, when it comes to capital planning or revitalizing/upgrading systems, it's usually in your better interest as an owner to get independent advice from someone who isn't trying to sell you a certain product. Florida is a particularly aggressive market and it's not uncommon for vendors to try and give the owner exactly what they asked for, but in a way that is not aligned with their goals or long-term interests. I spent the better part of yesterday grilling a proposal of inferior substitutions a bidder provided directly to the owner in an effort to circumvent the bid process. They were trying to lobby their buddy at the school's facilities department without going through the honest competitive bid process.

In going through the proposal, it's apparent they were pushing the cheapest products they have the highest profit margin on, and removing all the elements of the system that made the system turn-key and readily accessible to untrained students and faculty. Some of their recommendations were just bizarre like bargain-bin line array speakers as a substitute for point-source cabinets. The only way to make that sound at all reasonable would've involved putting more acoustic absorber panels on the walls ($$) to suck up the excess sound off of the 160° wide speaker coverage -- at the expense of making unamplified music more harsh and speech harder to carry to the back row.

That kind of disregard for the owner's interests is by no means representative of all vendors, but even the good contractors need someone to hold their feet to the fire.

If you wanted to do a walkthrough of your space together, I'm already going to be down your way January 2 to visit a job site and touch base with my Miami office. I'm booked up during the daytime but we could set something up early evening.

I agree that a consultant can play a useful role for venues like this, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking for here, or the situation that they're in here.
They seem to be knowledgeable enough about what they have (ie know an LED Source 4 from an Altman fresnel) and about what they need to get their operations up to speed (i.e. needing maintenance, drawings, rep plot, etc) that I interpreted the first part of their request as more something that would take the form of a service call from a well-established theatrical service provider, perhaps bringing in a designer or consultant to draw up and execute the rep plot, but not the other way around....definitely well beyond what the local music store would be able to offer. 8)

I thought he wanted and needed an honest assessment and master plan. You could be right and just a technician to make everything work as it did originally - whether or not that looks to the next 5-10 years - is what is needed - and not buying new gear to replace what's there. The hire a lighting designer.

Have you tried reaching out to any of the other theatre programs in the neighboring districts? As we all know, there's plenty of talent hiding in small spaces all over. I remember coming down to Brevard? Boward? County Community College (spelling is terrible...the important part is the people were good) just outside of the Miami area and remember having a very good experience with the locals. Esp being in Florida, there has to be a half decent chance of finding a semi-retired ME who is working part time at a school to keep out their significant others hair after actually being home for more than a few days at a time.

Not that any one paid is going to do you wrong, but at the very least these people will certainly be able to point you in the right direction. Best case, you end up saving a couple grand and putting it towards some new toys for the space. Worse case, you make some new friends.

Try calling around a bit. Often times the IA hall will have a few younger people that are hungry and good, just not senior enough to get any tech work that want to keep sharp. Check in with the production houses. Again, many of them will gladly come out for a service call and the techs will be able to glean quite a bit of information for you in a non com way.

There is also the whole swap part 2 for part 1 scenario. Start posting the position. See what the interest is like. Bring people in for interviews. See what they say. Make the new person a part of the process. You can learn alot about a person while cleaning optics together, and you will learn a ton since you already have a basic knowledge it seems. When I was still PM for the national rock club in town, I discovered quick that when the budget is low, getting your "forever" guy in the beginning cuts alot of costs right out. You get your consultant and labor for the same money, and you have someone who will take the pride and commit to the project. You think of the little bits when your the one who's reputation is on the line. Small parts add up quick in $$$.

Don't bother with the University of Miami. I was the lighting faculty there but they eliminated my position and the TD position entirely right before finals last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back