How do I get up to date on current tech/methods?

Ravenbar

Looking to do this free/super cheap.

Graduated college in 2008. College used an Express 24/48 and also an Expression 1, with a selection of 360Q's and other older conventional fixtures. Also had a color scroller system and sensor dimmers. So I can't say I was up to date, even the last time I did this regularly. The only theatre lighting I've done since is that I light my old HS's spring musical every year(past 6 or 7 years). They run mainly Altman Shakespeares, and older conventionals as well. Board there is a Expression 3 with a sensor dimmer system. I've played with some cheap RGB LED pars and some Chauvet Abyss USB water projectors, but that's about it. Got some LED strip controllers on order for this years show. Even built a couple USB-DMX converters so I can use a laptop to control lights.

For my day job, I work alongside HS dropouts and people who barely made it through HS sorting single stream recycling for relatively low pay. Not exactly getting rich doing that. Limited/no opportunities to get involved in local theatre(only thing I found was a community theatre what wanted me to run rigging(not my area of expertise), when I'd been theatre matter of days. Didn't have time to do that, as I happened to be working that weekend, and haven't heard a peep from them since(5 yrs later). They are tied into a local college(where they do shows) and get most of the help from there.

Eventually I'd like to get back into theatre, but it seems I've missed the bis and technology has left me behind. I've tried the Youtube thing, but the majority of what I'm finding is aimed at total beginners or the DJ crowd.

School I do work at currently is looking to upgrade and I've no real idea how current tech functions. I've been buying a few DMX controlled things the last few years, as an effort at education, but I'm still not all that good.

I'm not sure what tech you're thinking of that is so dramatically different from that of 2008. Most shows still run dmx over the same old 5pin cable.
The funny thing is, I've gotten more work in venues with old/cheap/broken/non-existent gear than in ones with state-of-the-art rigs; that's to say, knowing how to make the old junk work has been more valuable to me than being up to date on the bleeding edge. Anyhow, with any luck, current tech comes with good manuals to read...

Maybe there is an IATSE house nearby where you could find work?

I think if you're willing to volunteer your time at a community theatre it shouldn't be hard to find opportunities. Contact them with willingness to volunteer hanging lights or working on crew.

Or, in addition to the IATSE route, you could also look for non-union stagehand labor companies to get in on the ground floor. Probably starting pushing boxes for rock shows and the like.

In terms of home learning, ETC has good video series on their consoles, and I'm sure there are others. You can also get free software from a lot of console makers that emulates the console on your computer so you can get the feel for it.

Oh, and books. Remember books? Focal Press publishes lots on the subject for one.

"How do I get up to date on current tech/methods?"
Hang around here!
As some have already said, not much has changed since 2008 with one exception: The move to LED sources.
The concept of lighting hasn't changed much, only the stage side hardware. Dimmer racks are giving way to constant power distribution systems with DMX going directly to the fixture. Basically, the same architecture that was already in use for moving heads.

I'm not sure what tech you're thinking of that is so dramatically different from that of 2008. Most shows still run dmx over the same old 5pin cable.
The funny thing is, I've gotten more work in venues with old/cheap/broken/non-existent gear than in ones with state-of-the-art rigs; that's to say, knowing how to make the old junk work has been more valuable to me than being up to date on the bleeding edge. Anyhow, with any luck, current tech comes with good manuals to read...

Maybe there is an IATSE house nearby where you could find work?

My education was lacking in DMX. We had a permanent installed Sensor rack and an Express 24/48 in the main space. Secondary space had a Expression 1 with (48)portable dimmers(in 6 packs) relatively permanently installed. Only DMX controlled toys was a color scroller system that used DMX to the control box and something else to the scrollers themselves. No moving lights, no LED's, no nothing modern. That system was essentially early 90's technology with a couple upgrades.

I think if you're willing to volunteer your time at a community theatre it shouldn't be hard to find opportunities. Contact them with willingness to volunteer hanging lights or working on crew.

Or, in addition to the IATSE route, you could also look for non-union stagehand labor companies to get in on the ground floor. Probably starting pushing boxes for rock shows and the like.

In terms of home learning, ETC has good video series on their consoles, and I'm sure there are others. You can also get free software from a lot of console makers that emulates the console on your computer so you can get the feel for it.

Oh, and books. Remember books? Focal Press publishes lots on the subject for one.

Not much for community theatre around and I've tried that route with what there is before. Missed out on the lighting part of that show, did set work a few days before I had to stop due to paying work commitments(was working full time moving furniture so not a lot left to give at the end of the day, was just about a walking zombie trying to help with that show). Got a call asking me to run the rigging system for the show. Declined, as 1. I didn't feel comfortable with running the rigging as I'd never worked with that type of system before and 2. I had to work that weekend. Never heard a peep from them since, even though they had several more shows that summer. Mostly, I think they aren't willing to work around volunteer constraints, as they work out of of SUNY Potsdam, with the Crane School of Music, so they have a lot of students/work study's who's availability is open.

No local work. Nearest concerts are 3+ hours away.

I run into issues using the console emulators as I have to run them in an emulator themselves. I only have an old Windows 7 desktop I keep around for game playing. The rest of my computers are running some version of Linux, which few(any?) manufacturers support.

"How do I get up to date on current tech/methods?"
Hang around here!
As some have already said, not much has changed since 2008 with one exception: The move to LED sources.
The concept of lighting hasn't changed much, only the stage side hardware. Dimmer racks are giving way to constant power distribution systems with DMX going directly to the fixture. Basically, the same architecture that was already in use for moving heads.

Never had the luxury of working with moving heads. During my last year or so there, I suggested investing in a couple and was told they saw no use for them in the space we worked in. The only time I've seen LED theatre lights working(other than the couple cheap RGB pars I bought last year), was at USITT 2005. Quite a depth of color, but lacked any punch.

The tech program was in it's infancy when I was there(seniors my freshman year were the first class).

Wishing I could hang around here more. I'm only involved in theatre these couple months a year. The rest of the year, I'm tied up in other interests/online communities related to them. 99% energy goes into my dead end, life sucking day job.

Biggest problem I run into when I'm doing shows is the other people I'm working with only understand the older(1980ish) era technology. They look to me to explain the new stuff to them and I barely understand it myself. My education barely exceeded what they already know, to the point it's trial and error most of the time.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a large "Career" choice coming. And books and studying will have to be done. If of any help, I don't do DMX but have people about that can. That said, at your age... DMX is easy to learn. I suspect you want to learn more and just have to get a push. On rigging, yea you were probably right in turning down for more than secondary in learning. Recognize your choices and are you doing it or not. Feel your pain. Been there. If nothing else study and read for now what you can get. A book bought is not studied by way of osmosis but thru study. Many parts of a book won't make sense until you need to know in use. Read the best you can, and re-read especially when you come to those parts. While not doing shows, you do have tiem to educate yourself. Spend a few months learning and making money perhaps. Try again even if your networking sources for jobs might for now dry up.... They will open up agan once you are ready. Big choices and career things. Go to college and option? College will also speed your way to career.

So here is how I am doing it. I volunteer at a local theatre company building sets and now moving into tech with lighting their shows.
Secondly I am a casual theatre tech at the local PAC. I do mainly stag hand work but I have been learning the other facets as well. Last week when we were bumping in a show it was Luke and myself. Luke was looking after lights and I was general dogs body. The sound guy for the show was having a little trouble with the mixer finding things. Luke looked at me and I said you have to do this and that while pushing the buttons on the desk (Midas M32R) and found what we were looking for. Now I can program lights on the EOS and I can get sound to come out of a PA but the way I learnt was research, offline software and youtube videos.
On this occasion I had been watching videos on the mixer not so long ago. It was good to put into practice what I had seen and reinforce my learning.
And at 50 I have only just started my theatre career so there is always time to learn new skills.

Regards
Geoff

In addition to all the great information here, you might find getting some of the free trade magazines useful, as well as some podcasts. Those links go to some of the things I could find to link to from my web site. I hope they help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back