how do i hide mics on naked people?

Harmz

i'm running sound for the full monty, which for those of you who aren't familiar with the production, 6 men strip down to pretty much nothing. i was sitting in my first rehearsal tonight and suddenly it hit me...how am i going to hide mic packs on naked people? i haven't run into this problem yet and was wondering if anyone else knew of possible solutions. one idea that did come to mind is to put a nylon panty hose around the belt pack so it would match the flesh tone of the actors. feedback and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Booth Harmz! I moved your question to the sound forum. The new member forum is a place to introduce yourself. Your question will get more attention in the sound forum.

Again welcome. I'm sure the "noise boys" will love your question.

Don't they all keep there hat on? I'm just remembering the movie, could you hide the mic in the hat? If you have to use any other way it could spoil the effect.
Nick

Right, either hide the mic in a hat, or if they don't wear a hat the whole time you may need to press for the guys to wear a wig. Short of that, there's not really a better place to put it.

A friend of mine worked on that show and they all had skin coloured body suits on, That worked for them (with the right lighting)

Just my 2 cents :)

Loki

Right, either hide the mic in a hat, or if they don't wear a hat the whole time you may need to press for the guys to wear a wig. Short of that, there's not really a better place to put it.

Um Mike, care to enlighten us on how one best hides the pack in a wig? The mic element sure, but I'm lost as to how you'd hold the pack without it pulling the wig off through weight...

Never actually done this show, but here are my thoughts. Clip the mic pack in the small of their back to a thin skintone fabric "belt" (for lack of a better term). Makeup artists should be able to make it dissapear fairly well. Place the mic itself above their forhead and then tape and makeup down their backs.

Its certainly doable. Best to sit down with the wardrobe and makeup departments asap.

Are they singing ? I thought in that scene they were just dancing, or is this one of those houses where you mic everyone straight play < no pun intended> or not.

You could put the pack in their butt cheeks then tape the wire and cover it with makeup, But then you'd need really small transmitters, or really big actors, and honestly who'd want to see that ? :rolleyes::twisted:

Just make sure you've miced the stage pretty well and get them to not wear mics for that scene. . . surely they can. . . project?. .. Hang on am i asking for too much there? :grin:
What size venue have you got?
If fairly small, ask yourself if they need micing individually for that scene

My costume designer continually pushed for the rectal mic pack...but in all seriousness we rigged it so that the packs fit into the hats for that scene (it'd be great if you had doubles so you don't have to rig backstage in 30 seconds between scenes. The way that it is usually choreographed the men keep their hats on until they are pretty much done singing. The only line they sing after that is the final "let it go", Which also occurs with the final reveal and the blinding of the audience with backlight, so no one is likely to notice the difference in sound quality.

Um Mike, care to enlighten us on how one best hides the pack in a wig? The mic element sure, but I'm lost as to how you'd hold the pack without it pulling the wig off through weight...

You'd need a small pack - like a SK5212, UR1M, or an SMa to pull it off. But, presumably you'd sew a small pouch into the bottom of the wig, and put the TX in there. Methinks it'd work best on wigs with longer hair in them. I will admit I've never had to do this myself.

Mike

I paid the AMTSJ (San Jose) sound crew a visit when they did Full Monty. They used separate mic sets for the caps (captains hats), tucked the Tx into a pocket sewn into the underside of the top of the cap, and sewed a short piece of elastic across the underside of the brim to wrap and hold the mic element. Looked and worked great. Pockets, elastic cord, and basic sewing skills are your friends ... :)

thanks guys for all of your help. i talked with the director of the show today and he said that they are throwing their hats during the number so i very well can't have them trowing the mics with the hats. wigs are also not an option unfortunatly. i haden't thought of body suits but i will ask tomorrow about it. that's pretty clever. and i also asked about hiding the pack or the belt in a flesh tone nylon and that got shot down quick too. i'm working with tough people to please. i guess there were a few production meetings that i wasn't told about and they discussed and decided that i would just have to hang mics over the stage and the sound quality would just have to suffer. i really don't want to do that but unless i can convince them otherwise, i think it's pretty much my only option at this point. thanks again for your posts.

Are they singing ? I thought in that scene they were just dancing, or is this one of those houses where you mic everyone straight play < no pun intended> or not.

You could put the pack in their butt cheeks then tape the wire and cover it with makeup, But then you'd need really small transmitters, or really big actors, and honestly who'd want to see that ? :rolleyes::twisted:

it's actually funny that you mention this because the TD and i were joking about it earlier. "the packs already have condoms on them. just lube them up and give 'em a shove!". it would be a simple and i'm sure uncomfortable solution.

More to the point who would be faced with the job of micing them up? (Shudder)

Do they turn around in the performance, if not then just tape the mics to there backs?
Nick

if they have shoes on then you can run the wire down the back of there leg to their shoe.. if its long enough. But other than that the hat or a wig would be the best idea. let me know how it works out.

*Disclaimer, I've never seen the show in question and have only skimmed the thread.*

If sound quality is not the priority in this situation, why not just use a combination of PCC160s and shotgun mics for the scene? Use the bodypacks for the rest of the show.

I ran across this question in another board. It was solved by the hat idea. the mic was attached to the brim of the hat, and the pack was put in the actual hat, sewn in, etc. the only time they aren't singing will be when the hats are down covering their 'good parts'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back