how do i hide mics on naked people?

Somehow I managed to lose my post before posting it, but for the shorter version:

I was the A2 for the 2003-2004 national tour, and, as noted, the Broadway and touring productions all did indeed have transmitters and elements built into the hats. The element stuck just beyond the brim (to avoid the usual hat brim reflections), and the transmitter went in a pouch sewn into the top of the hat. They sounded great, even when the guys took the hats off to hold in their hands. (These had DPA elements on them, which are incredibly sensitive, FWIW.)

For "The Goods", we just used their regular elements, firmly taped up the guys' backs, since they didn't really turn around as much in that scene, and there wasn't really anywhere to better hide them there. It matters much more in the finale, since they're dancing much more exposed.

A local company did the show a couple of years back and the guys just went unmiced for the final scene - they had people singing backstage to cover it. It did mean a fairly quick de-micing, but they were wearing the mics on earhangers so it wasn't too tricky.

A local company did the show a couple of years back and the guys just went unmiced for the final scene - they had people singing backstage to cover it. It did mean a fairly quick de-micing, but they were wearing the mics on earhangers so it wasn't too tricky.

That's a really good idea, in the movie, they simply sing to a tape. So they can sing along, but it can be obvious that they aren't singing, unless its a musical.
Nick

Back to Jeremy's mention that the director wanted the caps thrown in the scene so the option of hiding mics in the caps was out --

It seems that in professional theater accomodations are made for sound. In the productions I've seen most of the actors have enough hair or wigs for you to safely hide mic cords. Rarely do you have a bald guy requiring over-the-ear mounts. And I don't ever remember seeing a guy with a buzz cut -- they seem to have a minimum hair length, or a wig. And special arrangements are made in props to hide mics. It seems like they "get" that fact that the available sound technology still requires some accomodation to produce the best audience experience, and there is more than enough flexibility to produce a show with an abundance of visual stimulation (costumes, wigs, props, set) as well as proper sound.

In community theater I don't think they all quite "get it". Maybe it's because they're not charging an arm and a leg for an audience ticket so they don't care if the audience misses some of the dialogue. Or that we don't have sound unions in community theater to lay down the rules and ensure that the artistic crew clearly understands the issues involved and accomodations that are required. Or that because sound is probably the least tangible of the technical areas of the production, primarily because you can't see it, the directors don't think about it.

I have had to deal with tight costumes, short haircut, hats covering the hairline, and even set pieces built in front of the FOH speakers. Sometimes I would fight the issue and try to get things changed, but unfortunately it has been an uphill battle for me, so much of the time I just let it be and watch the production suffer. I think, as in any job where you don't control the situation, the least you should do is raise the issue, but sometimes that's the most you can do ... :)

As for technology, the Sennheiser 5212 and Shure equivalent are getting smaller, but I certainly hope the mfgs keep reducing transmitter size. There's no reason why they should not be able to make Tx the size of a PCMCIA card or smaller, with flat Lithium batteries inside, and at a reasonable cost so everyone can afford them. Once we get there. mic mounting will be an order of magnitude easier ....

In the movie they dance to a tape, so speak to the director about ditching the micing idea, maybe have some singers onstage like in a workers club, I'm not sure how much it differs from the movie but I epect it is fairly simmilar.
Nick

i won the battle with the director and he changed his mind about the hats. i get to use them for the last scene. hooray! thank you all again for your posts and advice.

Wow, I'm enertianed by the answers....

As to answer your wig question, which I don't think is addressed... If you have small enough transmitters, the new shure's or the old senhizers come to mind, they are small enough that one can put under a sizeable wig, think donald trump's hair... then have the wardrobe crew pin that sucker down a bit and your golden, It does work, just not allow for good looking hair for guys....

With the hat, I think that if this is the case it'd be your easiest possiablility, but your going to probably have to deal with phasing issues by putting it there, not to mention that what happends when one of the actor's puts the hat on "backwards"... Though in your space, it may be enough to get by...

I would try to enforce the nude suit idea... or talk to the director and order skin color matching microphone wast holders and the same with the cable, and use a lot of tape/ get some tagaderm... it'll be needed... I think the suspension of disbelief would be enough in this case to get by for the audience to realize what's going on... People can handle the headset-like microphones without any problem...

If it comes down to it, and your in a good space, a set of shotguns will save ya... I might look into seeing if you can do a live-mix with shots to re-inforce instead of ampifly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back