Automated Fixtures How do I patch a Mac 700 to our etc ion board?

My theater rented a couple Mac 700s for our upcoming show. We thought we'd patched them right, they turn on and cycle through, but nothing on the board will make the actual light turn on. Its on the basic setting and we have channels 400-422 set up for one, and 450-472 for the other, all other settings are on the default. We've scoured the mac's manual and can't find anything pertaining to our problem. (No error messages are displayed on the light and we know the lights aren't burned out) any ideas? We need them running by Wednesday (the 30th) as the show is may 1st 2nd and 3rd

My theater rented a couple Mac 700s for our upcoming show. We thought we'd patched them right, they turn on and cycle through, but nothing on the board will make the actual light turn on. Its on the basic setting and we have channels 400-422 set up for one, and 450-472 for the other, all other settings are on the default. We've scoured the mac's manual and can't find anything pertaining to our problem. (No error messages are displayed on the light and we know the lights aren't burned out) any ideas? We need them running by Wednesday (the 30th) as the show is may 1st 2nd and 3rd

On a "Attribute" channel desk like the Ion, you only assign one channel per fixture, thus can do 401 and 402. I typically assign my fixtures starting at a 1, so fixture 1 becomes 301, 401, 501, etc...

Then go into patch, type "401, +, 402, Enter", then navigate to the "Type" box, select the "Manfctr" button on the lower left, scroll to Martin, then MAC 700 Profile, then select Basic.

You will also need to patch the channels to the DMX addresses you've selected, so Ch., 401 & 402, @, XXX, Enter, etc... Should you be using the 2nd DMX port on the Ion for this, it's in Patch as "401 & 402, @, 2/1, enter" puts the fixtures on Universe 2, address 1-23 (Fix 1) and 24-46 (Fix 2).

Now go back to Live and to the Live Channel screen. If you press Format , you will see Live Table. Select Ch 401 & 402, Enter, you should see all the attributes listed - Pan, Tilt, Color, Beam, etc.... You can now manipulate the fixture, assuming you've set the selected DMX addresses on the fixtures.

Last edited:
Depending on the settings from the rental house, you might also need to lamp them on after following what Steve said above. Do this by selecting the mac 700 channels and pressing about, then choose lamp controls and lamp on.

Depending on the settings from the rental house, you might also need to lamp them on after following what Steve said above. Do this by selecting the mac 700 channels and pressing about, then choose lamp controls and lamp on.

A good point from Dan. You can also configure the units to automatically strike up and off the lamps with DMX present or lost, it's a setting in the fixture and is in the MAC 700 manual. Useful if students are running the console as they may forget to power up or off and this will happen on Ion boot and power down. If you do change this, leave a note for the shop in the road case.

Thanks for your help, but we figured out the problem was that our dmx cable wasn't plugged in, and we had quite an adventure trying to find a female dmx input, apparently the people who designed our theater renovations had no idea where some things should go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back