How do you create a plan?

Slappy98766

Hello,

I am kinda new here so, yeah. I have to run a talent show thing for my school, and they would like to have me present a plan for the lighting. I have no idea how to do this. I was wondering if you guys could help.

Thanks

Edit: I messed up on my name... Can you change it?

What they want is what's commonly referred to as a plot; a top-down view of the theater with each lighting instrument drawn where it will be hung. This typically involves talking to your tech director/theater person/facilities manager/whatever and asking if they have a drafted plan of the space. If they have one, the simplest way to do this is print it out, and use a lighting-specific stencil to draw in each instrument. Professional plots are drawn in a CAD program like Vectorworks, but for your needs, learning complex software probably isn't the best use of your time (definitely worth learning in the long run, though).

Print out the space plan at full size, note if there's a scale (1/2" or 1/4" are common) and go to your local theater supply store and buy a stencil of the corresponding scale. This ensures that the units will be drawn to scale on the plan. On the stencil, there will b cutouts for all of the industry-standard lighting instruments. Figure out the kinds and quantities of lights you'll be using, and draw in each light where it needs to hang. It's common practice to notate at each unit the channel number, as well as a reference unit number and gel color. In your case, the gel color and unit number might not be necessary.

On the side, make a little legend/key so the people that will be hanging the lights know which is which. Draw each symbol you use with the corresponding name of the instrument.

That's a crash course, but it should be enough to communicate what you need for something of this scale. This is a pretty good basic tutorial for drafting a plot by hand. There are a lot of other good resources out there, do some googling and find some lighting books and you should be set.

What they want is what's commonly referred to as a plot; [ light plot ] ...
Not necessarily.
... and they would like to have me present a plan for the lighting. ...
Perhaps "they" mean a Lighting Concept/Lighting Statement | ControlBooth ? "Plan" in this context can indicate a lighting plot, a groundplan, an intention, a concept, or "any diagram or list of steps with timing and resources, used to achieve an objective."--Wikipedia. Find out specifically what "they" want, and we can assist accordingly.

-----
... Edit: I messed up on my name... Can you change it?
Send a email to [email protected] , or PM to @dvsDave , to request a change in user name.

Yeah, I have to agree with Derek on this one. Normally Salvatore would be 100% correct-- but based on the OP's request, I think they are more looking for a "Plan of attack" on how you are going to accomplish the lighting, not a technical diagram/layout. It sounds like their request could be very basic in just making sure you are covering the overall needs of the show and the stage area, and to learn if you have any specials or pools of light planned for them to communicate to the performers so they can best make use of your lighting or get back to you with questions like, "Hey- my piece takes place Upstage Right. Can you isolate me there and keep the rest of the stage dark?". Stuff like that.

I'll give you an example. They are probably looking to hear something to the effect of (and this is just an example, not a suggestion for how to light the show): "Well, I have the stage broken down into three No-color areas of light, Stage left, Center, and Stage right. These will be lit from the front with a faint pink color to help skin tones. Additionally I have some deep blue light from above that washes the whole stage, which we can also use dimmly for entrances and exits between each act to allow the performers to get into position and off the stage. I also have some warm amber light from the front which washes the entire stage- so it's useful for any act that will make use of the entire space, but I can't isolate it like I can the other area lights I mentioned, so not good if they are only going to be Stage left for their piece. There is a nice, soft Lavender pool of light (a high front/top special) I've created for anyone that wants to be downstage center for singing, etc.

Hope this helps. Unless I'm completely wrong and they want a light plot. *LAUGH*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back