How do you feel about buying used gear?

By the way back to the original Hijack... I have a plan for getting my cable cheap. I'm going to call up a supplier and say:

"Hi, I want 1500 feet of 12/3 SOOW. I can get it from a theater supplier for about 90 cents a foot. I can get it on the internet for 80 cents. I have a friend in Chicago who gets it in the low 60's... now he buys 20,000 feet a year so I don't expect his price... however I'm buying a lot and I want a good deal. So how about you charge me 75 cents."

I'll let you know if it works.

By the way back to the original Hijack... I have a plan for getting my cable cheap. I'm going to call up a supplier and say:
"Hi, I want 1500 feet of 12/3 SOOW. I can get it from a theater supplier for about 90 cents a foot. I can get it on the internet for 80 cents. I have a friend in Chicago who gets it in the low 60's... now he buys 20,000 feet a year so I don't expect his price... however I'm buying a lot and I want a good deal. So how about you charge me 75 cents."
Good luck with that.

Little negotiating tip I have learned, don't name the price you want to pay right up front because they will try to negotiate up. So if you do name a price say like .70/ft so you have some room to negotiate. Or you could just tell them the other prices you could get it at and let them make an offer.

A recent for instance of this is my life. I am LDing a show and I felt my $10 an hour rate was abit low for the work I was doing and I asked my boss for a higher rate, I kinda assumed it would go up to $15, but I didn't say that number and his response was "alright I will see if I can get you $25 for it".

Little negotiating tip I have learned, don't name the price you want to pay right up front because they will try to negotiate up. So if you do name a price say like .70/ft so you have some room to negotiate. Or you could just tell them the other prices you could get it at and let them make an offer.
A recent for instance of this is my life. I am LDing a show and I felt my $10 an hour rate was abit low for the work I was doing and I asked my boss for a higher rate, I kinda assumed it would go up to $15, but I didn't say that number and his response was "alright I will see if I can get you $25 for it".

I'd like to agree with this post about negotiating. I don't really have any real world negotiating experience, but I thought I'd share this, kinda funny.

So since I've worked at a day camp (I worked with the 4 year olds) for the last seven weeks, I've learned this negotiating trick. So we all know kids want to eat their dessert (cookies, fruit roll up, etc.) before they want to eat their "good-for-you" food (sandwich, etc.). Well of course it's our policy for campers to eat healthy foods first. So when a camper comes up to you with a half eaten sandwich, asking if they can have dessert, you want to say "Yes, if you eat 3 more bites.". But, if you don't name a number, instead you ask, "How many more bites of your sandwich are you gonna have first?", they'll usually reply with more than you would have asked for. It's a win-win situation. I'm sure the same goes for buying 12/3 SOOW cable, but I don't recommend eating it.

At some point in a different carpentry career, I used to work in the inner city of Chicago and at times watch the bumbs strip wire for copper. Amazing how fast they could strip the outter jacket off a wire given some theoretically dull knife. Truly amazing how fast a shopping cart full of wire they got from who knows where got it’s outer jacket removed. Guys could have been electricians had it not been for some mishap in life of this I’m sure. Bumbs once you know them are as a side note often very interesting people with an unfortunate circumstance that got them there. As a concept, all of us are often one step, one test of a drug or a few paychecks away from where they wind up.

In any case, good luck with saying you have a friend in Chicago that gets it for about and yes as of a few days ago $0.61 per foot given around $20K a year in 12/3 bought. Perhaps not that much per year in 12/3 but at least half that. I have four primary suppliers for cable in the area and everybody and their brother beyond that competing for sales or my attention for just gimmie a small order so as to prove myself... as they salvite over my future 4/0 feeder cable orders in making a few cents per foot over like $2.35 per foot. These prices were based off a blind bid for what I was willing to pay that week and once for one year who I’m buying from is expected to go up weekly as per the stockmarket for the rest of the year until the next year when I re-bid the cable. I can remember the days when I walked into a electrical supply house and asked for the price on 12/3 SO... we are talking $0.50 per foot without any discounts. Than I got where I work and I was down in the line $0.35 per foot range. This was long before Bush War...

IN any case, good luck with attempting to strong arm your supplier into giving you a better price. This by way of showing your cards in hoped for price I pay, but not having the volume per year I’m going to buy, track record for yearly buying that many spools per year and or buy it out from others if not cheap enough. You will find the supplier not going for this gambit. First because my own prices are no doubt less than their own given I buy more than they do or at least as much as they do, but have my own standing as a buyer in getting stuff as cheap as I can, than second because my volume of sales makes up for taking less of a markup. Your supplier buys more per year, they pay less for what they buy. Your supplier matches your wished for price they just lost money.

Don’t waste your time with too much price wars - only wastes your time and makes your vendors less than interested in helping you over competing for your very limited sales. Remember another part of this sale in attention and discount given is further sales - is it really worth such a discount or time spent in dropping even a few cents so as to compete with someone else’s price? Save your punches for good orders and even for real projects. Work slowly on such concepts for saving money. Find prices and keep honest but be really careful about bidding wars for price before you have some volume to start a war over.

Important advice if you heed it. Just because I’m astounded at some price you pay don’t mean you will find a price in my price range. Amount of cable you are looking to buy would be my minimum in stock for a spool as emergency stock. Be really careful with who’s toes you step on also by way of price wars or pressuring them, it’s important to both keep them honest and keep them fair. Your dealer would at best be charging you a 1.3% markup on average if not more or less by up to 20%. Sometimes there is wiggle room, sometimes there is not. What amount of effort to they want to put into good guy discount they have not already, this much less if you make them too pressured, how much head trip you become will they deal with? Burned a few bridges in the industry myself over the years. Best wait a while.

I think I was mis-understood. I'm not trying to strong arm my way to the same kind of price Ship gets. My strategy is, I know they can sell it at 61 cents a foot to a major customer and still make money. I don't expect that rate but I want to pay less than my local theater place's 90 cents. So let's find a price in the middle that makes us both happy. A 30% markup over Ship's price is still 79 cents.

Ah' I understand but it assumes that your supplier is able to do a 30% markup for you which is minimum fair for a normal customer but not persay what is attempted at times. But it still assumes that your supplier has the same cost as my own cost. Could be doubtful that the distributer is able to get their own cable for less than a buck a foot. This much less that cost per foot doesn't include shipping or pickup costs. I get these things shipped to me which costs on average like $180.00 per pallet shipped added onto the cost of the cable. This or send a driver out to pick it up at not more than a few dollars less overall in cost savings. That cost per foot is not compensating for shipping or your supplier's own costs in getting your cable in stock.

Not back steppeing, just a caution about trying price wars or leveraging, be really careful in this attempt - at times you step on a toe and you remember it later in having done so or if not you your supplier might just in no longer giving you the same discount on what they can get more cheaply. For me, those same suppliers that supply the wire could only wish they could also supply my plugs. They quote out some price and it's almost double my own pricing thru other dealers. On some things they are worth buying stuff from, on others just as with buying cable from them, I buy the plugs elsewhere in a big network that took years to establish and hundreds of thousands of dollars a year spent to establish. Unless you have time, volume & budget, price about but be really careful how much leverage you attempt is my advice.

On another point to this section and getting back to the concept, Just priced out a Century theorized to be 8x16 fixture for $55.00 today to a co-worker. This was the price I would not budge on. Here is how I fixed the price...

First step upon seeing the fixture, no matter if I’m buying it or not I cut off the asbestos whip and open faced Edison plug. My job as a ME to do this step of making gear safe immediately. I have four assistants in my area and don’t need them or I exposed, much less the person owning the fixture to asbestos any more than is part of our job in general. Found a Zip Lock bag, put the plug & cable into it, cut the wire flush to the strain relief & cut it. Sealed up the bag after this.

This is immediate action with me cleaning up my area after cutting the wire - masking up would not have helped, this fixture was already in my area that’s fan cooled. The plug at like $3.00 to $7.00 each even if brand new is not worth the health risk to attempt to save. Bag it and trash it with the cord. An open faced Edison plug - old style with screw terminals exposed even if it has a laminated material cover also is against code to use without a grandfather clause. All makes for a cut whip with what’s left of the asbestos whip inside the lamp cap a later detail to take care of once the fixture is service called. That’s a later operation but given it’s protected and enclosed by the lamp cap, less a danger.

So, that’s the first step I used in evaluating the fixture - cut the whip off. So I opened the cap, opened the base & the barrel & looked at it’s condition. Lamp came with the fixture, it was a EGE upgrade, I extracted it & cleaned it’s contact as it was pitted & oxidized. At least this if it works would work properly. Was not in the market for a halogen upgrade lamp, If I buy the fixture I’ll lamp it with an original lamp for the fixture. This than for me since a 8x16 Century fixture is obsolete as a stage lighting fixture as a lamp was not worth me paying money for it. If the seller didn’t want the lamp, I would donate the used lamp to a local theater this now cleaned lamp. Put a bad lamp into a good fixture, it trashes the fixture. If one cannot clean the contact of the lamp properly & protect it, best to throw it out.

So on lamp, that’s zero dollars.

Lamp base was cracked in half and would need replacement if this fixture were to be made serviceable. That’s a like $15.00 part and the goal on even an antique light is a serviceable light fixture. Even “Antiques Roadshow” notes on the TV show that a re-wired and cleaned light fixture in the workings for it does not do away from it’s value as opposed to with other antiques. A light fixture is meant to work and be in serviceable condition. This fixture with broken lamp base needs a replacement thus in making it work that cost of a new lamp base deducts from the value of the fixture by in this case a lenient $15.00 out of being nice and not including labor for me fixing it.

Rewiring the fixture costs were a scratch in that it’s an obsolete fixture and not expected to be ready to work. In other words, it’s just as acceptable for a antique fixture that is not designated ready to use for a modern stage to be sans wiring or with wiring at all in it’s value. Given the cut whip and necessity to remove the rest of the asbestos from the fixture, I called it a wash in doing a favor, but could have deducted around $20.00 for this added expense. On obsolete gear - or retail of gear it must be safe and proper, this by way of not wired or properly wired. On an antique, removing the wiring is ok, selling it with the asbestos is not proper or ok.

Were this something from the 1970's or later in an axial fixture that could reasonably be expected to work on stage in an other than obsolete way... than it either is without wiring for less a value or provided with proper wiring and a clean and working lamp base or you should expect that $20.00 less in value (these my standards.)

This fixture is obsolete, a 8x16 Century radial fixture will put light out but be really inefficient. Single step lens etc, it’s just an artistic element these days in value.

Overall fixture, missing some knobs on the shutters but other than that paint was in decent shape & shutters / gate while rusting were not so bad given an as is condition - but one in need of service call.

Again in being nice and given a few missing knobs - like $10.00 worth of them I did not deduct from the fixture’s overall value.

So we get into overall value of the fixture. Base price range or value. A Altman 360Q is worth at least $95.00, a used Altman radial incandescent 6" Leko is worth around $45.00. These in servicable condition or antique condition. Without clamp or lamp. A Altman 65Q is worth in the say $65.00 range given the same without clamp (origional clamp) or lamp (origional lamp) standards. Used lamps are at best worth like $5.00 antique or modern upgrade but for the upgrade only if the buyer wants the upgrade as with original only if the buyer wants an original lamp. This based off antique verses modern needs. Could dependant upon the buyer and lamp go for 80% off cost of lamp if one can prove it’s a brand new lamp with only a few hours on it...

Clamps sell for like $5.00 to $15.00 each, an antique clamp with assorted rust is worth $5.00.

Dependant upon a fixture, a 6" radial fixture is often worth about $45.00 each if serviceable in condition, into the $25.00 to $15.00 range if not for them and other types of gear by way of obsolete antique. This fixture is an 8" fixture but one with about a 16" focal length which is fairly common on the resale market and or being not as useful for a low budget stage use. More popular resale fixtures will have a wider focal length. Let’s face it, if you gonna put a working fixture in your living room, what you gonna want, one that puts out a say 50 degree beam spread or one that’s like 19 degrees? Were this like a 8x12 or 8x9 if such a fixture available, it will have been worth at least $20 to $50.00 more. Still the more rare step lens type fixture balanced out the missing knobs, need for work both wiring and rust and in general, it’s a little more rare to see an 8" fixture than a 6" fixture.

I estimated it’s value at $65.00 for one in good shape. Given the broken lamp base, work needed and 8x16 instead of smaller focal length size I estimated it as worth $50.00, and added to that $5.00 for the Century clamp.

$55.00 take it or leave it in a fair price. And this a price of me not recommending he sells it to me but instead keeps it as his own antique. I’m not in the market for this type of fixture and if it’s because he does not have room for it in his apartment as described, I would hang it off an I-Beam for him at work in him still owning it. The price offered was not negotiable, don’t want the lamp, he can either have it back or donate it to the local theater. Fixture price was set in being benevolent but not over it’s value after I were to fix it up.

Kid will get back to me in perhaps not getting his theorized few hundred or at least more dollars for it, or listening to frank advice to him in not selling off his memories for quick cash or space in an apartment. Hope he goes for that better advice, but otherwise I’ll give it a good home and add it to my growing museum after it’s cleaned up. $55.00 was all the fixture is worth in my estimate and that’s in being fair but even kind.

Hope the above helps others to have a basis for fixture value. I see and buy lots of old fixtures these days. Love working on them, but worth a lot, most likely not. Still a shame to send them to the scrap heap. Worth more than the aluminum that makes them up in a sentimental way.

Last edited:
Hey Ship, the more I here in passing comments from you the more I want to know about your place of work. It sounds like a huge operation compared to the kind of places we all are used to. Sometime I think it would be really interesting if you put together some posts about how the business operates, how departments are organized, who does what, What you have in your inventory, where you send it... etc. Just sounds interesting to me. Anybody else curious?

I have bought many moving lights, DMX and conventional boads,and dimmers used. Along with cables, cans and lekos. Many times I have had less trouble with a used fixture over a new one. Buying a new fixture to me seems to be like buying a new car, you have to send it in for warranty repairs a few times before its right. Many times that i buy used fixtures they work perfectly out of the case. Now when i buy them really cheap for for parts then it gets interesting, but can usually get them working for little to no money (most of the time).

yeah I am also kinda curious about ship's place of employment.. Do you guys buy used fixtures? If so I know a theatre who might like to pick up some cash by parting way with a bunch of old fresnels and zooms.

Where I work while not secret is not advertised or posted. My thoughts on-line is my own thoughts and not connected with work other than where it helps as intended. While not hidden so much, this intent is to be respected, otherwise what I post would have to be approved of by the corporate PR person. This is agreement and a freedom I have and take as long as I'm both fair to all and am not speaking for where I work.

Get the idea I hope. Do not post where I work even if figured out or known - it's just sufficient I would hope that it's fairly large in scale. Not large enough that in watching the Democratic Debate tonight that I wasn't wondering who - not us, was supplying the shiny truss, but sufficient that one less show (don't think it was us) while slow this week for the first in months is not of worry by way of catching up in making the shop function. This much less in getting yelled at today in not following corporate policy- if not yelled at at times, I'm not doing my job properly ... that I didn't think of greener pastures for at least a few moments.

Than again, not a job, a career for me to which I could reasonably retire in my position at. This website is where I give back to my mentours, bleed off some steam at times & attempt to help train those that in this small world, might wind up screwing up gear I have to than fix.

My job is in repairing and supervising the repair of all non-electronic gear in the shop used for touring puropses. Training all tech people on such repair and making custom electric gear. Beyond that, buying and tracking lamps and repair parts plus fabricating them. I supervise how it's wired in the cable and conventional fixture departments, than my own department in how it's fixed. This a department for buying the lamps & parts or repairing and wiring stuff that didn't exist a few years back by way of someone specilizing in it. Other than my own repair department - currently four people helping me, I don't lead as per a boss. I am not persay anyone's boss other than for those under my department, I just tell them how they will wire the stuff and wander around as a sort of inspector instructor type so as to ensure those servicing the gear do it properly. Frequently they - anyone knows that I'm approaching and wonder if I'm looking at what they are doing, than question themselves as to what I noted and if they are doing it properly. That for the people that have hope at least, for those that are better suited for a career as gas station attendant, they don't have any concerns over my approach. Still I'm not a boss, just persay lower upper middle management of some form and very corporate as it were in do it my way or get out as generally understood to the extent that I'll help and teach but best learn or gone.

This to the corporate and my standards as the two have meshed into one. Lots of little details that didn't exist before I and others thought them up, heck the way we repair a cut in cable didn't exist as a standard before I came up with a system that's very involved for a simple cut, yet all know and understand it as very logical - those who are capable at least, those not.. only a certain amount of time this job verses a future job elsewhere and certainly no future on tour. This an example of thought out procedures and techniques others and I came up with over many years and while welcome additons, not welcome not thought out fixes. Such details to the extent that "audience blinders" and PAR Cans are not bought pre-wired = not up to our specifications for them amongst other wiring details the suppliers beyond tech persons either comply with or don't do. This includes lamps supplied - either provide the correct specified lamp or pull the lamps from the fixtures.

When not busy, there is the lamps also under my charge. Every lamp in the building falls under my supervision, inspection and purchase - that takes time and I wish I could train someone to do it for me as it is a full time job in itself but at the moment all mine. Within six months of not having time to inspect I now have about 1,000 lamps from moving lights to inspect, each of which will take a minimum of five minutes each. I choose what brand, and study the minor pinch crack forming on each used lamp etc. in determining if it's able to have another few hundred hours or time to return it to place of purchase or dispose of it.

Beyond this all, I also at times get as salary staff some amount of leanancy to do what takes my interst in the day. This anywhere from cleaning my DynaBeam for a day so it will be presentable enough to put in the lobby of the front office, or spending a few minutes in inspecting an employee's light fixture, teaching them about it or making a resale sales slip to them for lamps or parts. Once in a while I also get paid to service some antiquated gear for a customer or get to work on what's left of the shops' own antiquated gear this or make such gear into something else such as say a 10Kw Fresnel into a LED light fixture. I do the custom work be it making it into something else or making it from scratch also - this having memorized stuff like coeficients of reflective material charts as useful at times if you gonna design a light fixture.

No, we don't persay buy used light fixtures as a corporate entity. Once in a while such as for some Reich & Vogul and or some studio Fresnels that are needed for touring purposes to be made into our own standards of fixture quality and show needs, we get used fixtures. Other than that... not much in the market for used fixtures. There is a corporate intent for a museum but no budget for it so far as similar to the corporate intent to do a lighting library but no commitment to funding it. Stuff to work on. All antique lights at this point I work on are as a favor to the local community theater who buys their parts and lamps from us & rents a lot of other stuff from us in exchange for me in my off time at times providing free labor to fix and make safe their gear. It's part of an approved of outreach but one that is very much within reason and not just given away. Beyond that, one of the owners and I both collect antique light fixtures. I at times when not making a wiring harness for his latest tractor get to work on his latest find at some garage sale. I at home and at times for smaller scale work do my own light fixtures also in learning about them. At a certain point it's worth the training - this what I learn from antique fixtures in learning solutions to problems that don't go away just because it's a modern light fixture. This much less for a tour, here I was inventing a light fixture from scratch much the same as will have been done almost 100 years ago.

Before I got here on the other hand, I was actively buying lighting fixtures or selling them. That's also experience. Experience that's hopefully worth passing on, but on my own time and in my own way without corporate permission.

Last edited:
Thanks Ship... I totally understand and respect your desire to not represent your company here. I actually removed the name of my college from my signature for that same reason.

I was really just more interested in how a large operation works I'm fascinated by the fact that it's such a big operation that you have 4 people working below you repairing equipment. The biggest rental place around here has two repair people who handle everything and one of them is also the owner. The scale of the operation you describe is HUGE and a little hard for us civilians to comprehend. It sounds like a great place to work... they have even provided you with a wife!

Hmm, corporate SUV verses wife.... Corporate car with gas cad or wife... hmm... fringe benefits....

No comment. Though a few extra $K per year would be really nice.

It's a good place, for the most part they take good care of the employees. Three to four in my department - two full time under me and one to two tech people in training on a rotating basis. Electronics repair has six to eight people and the hoist department has four people. After that it's shop staff prepping gear and show staff taking it out. Large & huge... na, never enough room or people. Just like pay, the more you get, the less you have. The more staff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back