How do you guys name your scenes/snapshots in the console?

I don't know many people doing theater where I live so I have't been able to "hang over someones-shoulder" So I've invented my own system.

How do you do it?

Every scene/snap in my console has the prefix of the same scene number in the script.

For instance my first recall in scene 10 has the name 10.1, second recall is scene 10.2 etc (There's no 10.0). Scene 11 in script has prefix 11.xx

I name them the same in Qlab/SCS (SCS is the one I use normally as I'm using a windows-machine).

However, what "complicates" things is that after a while I need to add a new snap/scene, then I have to rename both in console and script, or just add new snaps/scenes as 10.99, and work downwards from that if there's more snaps incoming.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, You definitely need to stop by This Thread and explain yourself LOL.

Secondly, With lighting, I always just skip 5 for every cue so I have room for 4 full numbered additions before I have to go to decimals. With sound, I generally just number them in order and add a dash if I need to add something new.
3-1

So on and so forth. I will often just let my sound cue operator come up with their own system though.

Firstly, You definitely need to stop by This Thread and explain yourself LOL.

Secondly, With lighting, I always just skip 5 for every cue so I have room for 4 full numbered additions before I have to go to decimals. With sound, I generally just number them in order and add a dash if I need to add something new.
3-1

So on and so forth. I will often just let my sound cue operator come up with their own system though.

So you're omitting the actual scenes in the script, then? Or?

Depends, sometimes I number, my CL5 let's me name as does QLab so quite often I label with the phrase it goes with. Yes there is a number there too but as I find it hard to read a script or have a headset on while mixing, it makes my life easier since I tend to learn the show.

I usually do musicals on Yamaha consoles, and use a scheme where I name each scene:
Script page, scene number, name of song or other specific keywords.
(like: p5 sc1a Cindarella enters) etc...

In the script I simply mark where the queues takes place, at times with a "sfx" if it is an effect que.

Never used QLab for anything but the effects, but have a habit of running it with increments of 10, just in case.

I name my cues after my friends. Bobby, Julie, Kelly, etc... I jest.

Serisously, I do SQ1 with a description A1 S1 P#, SQ2 A1 S2 SFX P# ....If I have room, then I include a small portion of the line. And I use SCS Pro 11

Righty-O. Thanks. I also most often use a CL or QL. In CL/QL you can have a line with a "description", but you can't enter to much info there before it doesn't fit all the characters on the screen any more.

When working on a Digico one can have snapshot notes up, which basically is a small sheet-of-paper-ish-window which sticks to the screen no matter where on the console one is working. So for me it's sort of the question what goes into the scene name and what goes into the description on the Yammie-board. And what goes into the scene name on the Digico. Scene name should be same on both consoles, as that's the same thing on any console, scene name.

For both pr now the scene name is/can also be named which mics are going in, or which mics have a sortie, but I don't like to much information.. If there's a lot of tracks and such I just focus on the tracks, and just trust my programming when it comes to mics, and name them (after the 1.1-ish numbers) with for instance start/fade(out)/dampen/etc, only related to the tracks.
During rehearsals when the director asks me "when do you fire, fade, dampen etc" that one track, I can read it in the scene name, and compare to the script what the cue is, or add the cue into the "description" on the yammie.

@TheaterEd. My nick comes from the movie Spinal Tap. In where they released an album called Smell The Glove.

Last edited:
I use Page numbers and decimals like most here(when I use scenes). I usually mix by following along in the script as I found trying to edit/add/remove cues with recall safes to be frustrating for musical theater where the show flows. I use scene recall mostly for dance/and band sets. SFX cues get page number and letter

I do this:

- Production name, usually very short or abbreviated, one word if possible
- Delimiter - space, period or underscore
- Page number with leading zeroes, usually 2 digits sometimes 3
- Delimiter - space, period or underscore
- Cue number on that page, with leading zeroes, usually 2 digits, starting with 0 and increment numbers by +10 to leave room in case I have to add something.

The leading zeroes seems like extra work but it makes it so that if the scenes are ever stored as individual files and transferred to a file system like USB stick with FAT32, etc. they will sort properly when viewed alphabetically.

ANNIE 02.00
ANNIE 02.10
ANNIE 02.20
ANNIE 03.00
ANNIE 04.00
ANNIE 04.10

If I'm dealing with a paper script I sometimes use small post its to call out scene recalls (or cue, snippet, etc. recalls). If you get the fluorescent kind it makes it more difficult to miss cues and you can even put a "get ready for cue" post it on a previous page in a sleepy section. I often write the filename / scene / cue to recall on that post it. What's nice about the post its, even aging eyes like mine can see them a mile away usually and in the right kind of lighting condition it's even easier. They do fall out of the script sometimes and that's an issue. I've found the post it route works for interns and helpers too, I'm lucky if they are not on their effin' phone texting when they should be paying attention to cues.

I always track my scenes on a spreadsheet (usually plan them ahead this way), really makes programming a lot quicker. Generally this also makes naming my scenes a moot point as if I need to find a specific scene quickly to do edits I can look up the cue number on the spreadsheet just as quickly.
However, I still do tend to give my scenes typical names. Depends on the console and how long of a string my name can be, I really like to include the song name if I can after a number such as above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back