How do you make a DMX terminator?

Thanks, its just something thats been tuggin' at the back of my mind for a while.

... Except that is important to remember that Gordon and his team invented the first Memory board, and he developed DMX. < or the original standard>...
I don't mean to make light of Mr. Pearlman's achievements, but both of these statements are highly debatable. Read The Speed of Light, by Linda Essig, in which she interviews Gordon and many other luminairies of our industry (some of whom are CB members ;)).

EDIT: On the SML, Mitch Hefter writes that Entertainment Technology (ET) is alive and well, but currently concentrating on control of architectural lighting rather than stage/studio. It makes sense--Philips doesn't need a bunch of companies all doing the same thing and thus competing with one-another. No word as to why their website is fubar.

Last edited:
To make a 4-Pin DMX Terminator, do you still solder the 120 Ohm resistor between pins 2 &3? I want to make some for our Rosco I-Cues.
But really, with 4-pin devices you should have a return run to the PSU from the output of the last device in the chain. This not only provides termination for the DMX, but also helps maintain the correct operating voltage for the devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back