How do you mark your extension cords?

For existing cables, we apply a band of spike tape according to our color code. For new cables, I order colored shells for the 2PG cable ends from BMI Supply. We're certainly not a busy place, so the tape has held up well.

One other tip... I have been putting my labels spaced down the cable from the end to show the loop size I prefer. Then when I have help wrapping I can tell people to put the connector by the label and make the loops that size.

One friend got real anal and made the loop size marking on his cables so they would nest. That meant they would fit in a case very efficiently. He then learned that efficiently packing cables into a hand carried case was a Bad Idea. It got wicked heavy. ;-)

or.... Pick up some boat wrap tape. Not permanent by a long shot but it'll allow you to place a label and clear wrap it on an existing cable. Hit it with heat and it'll shrink tight.

Color coded velcro for the win! I use it on all my smaller power cables and DMX. I use the same colors, but in paracord for cables either too long or too big for the velcro wraps. Silver Sharpie or paint pen on the connectors with the company name. I've used clear dance floor tape over labels in the past, with better results than packing tape. If the cables are thin, self laminating labels can have limited success. There's probably a laser option vs. the label maker I have that would make a large enough one for 12/3 or bigger.

How do you go about marking your extensions as your own without chopping off the plug, sliding on a heat shrink label, and putting a new plug on?

I found these
proxy.php

cable identifiers which seem to do the job perfectly, but they only go up to 3/8". I have a few heavy extensions that are larger in diameter than that.

Ideally, I would like to put my logo under some heatshrink of some sort, or put my logo on the insert to the above-mentioned cable organizers instead of just putting some kind of unique mark on the cables. Sure, that would be functional, but not very professional.

So, what's your go-to?

I tag mine with spray paint or put a gaff tape flag on it with our name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back