How do you mark your extension cords?

djripcord

How do you go about marking your extensions as your own without chopping off the plug, sliding on a heat shrink label, and putting a new plug on?

I found these
proxy.php

cable identifiers which seem to do the job perfectly, but they only go up to 3/8". I have a few heavy extensions that are larger in diameter than that.

Ideally, I would like to put my logo under some heatshrink of some sort, or put my logo on the insert to the above-mentioned cable organizers instead of just putting some kind of unique mark on the cables. Sure, that would be functional, but not very professional.

So, what's your go-to?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you go about marking your extensions as your own without chopping off the plug, sliding on a heat shrink label, and putting a new plug on?

I found these cable identifiers which seem to do the job perfectly, but they only go up to 3/8". I have a few heavy extensions that are larger in diameter than that.

Ideally, I would like to put my logo under some heatshrink of some sort, or put my logo on the insert to the above-mentioned cable organizers instead of just putting some kind of unique mark on the cables. Sure, that would be functional, but not very professional.

So, what's your go-to?
@djripcord Alpha used to manufacture their clear heat-shrink in at least three series, their series FIT221 shrank by a ratio of 'two to one'. If you can manage to source Alpha's FIT321, FIT421 or FIT621 you may find a winner capable of clearing over your cable connectors and shrinking down to securely grip your P-Touch labels. All of my cables were annotated with my surname, their length and a sequentially unique number to make them unique when identifying individual cables within bundled groups. Most of my cables were Belden 8412, 8413, 8402 and / or Gotham Audio and were usually routing mic and instrument level signals from a variety of instrumental and vocal sources to a centrally located XLR multi heading to FOH and / or monitor land.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

... I found these cable identifiers which seem to do the job perfectly, but they only go up to 3/8".
Two possibilities, quite similar but larger, to what you have found.
1. Provides a place for tie-line.
cable_gland_tieline2.jpg

2. I've only seen one company use these, but that company has/had (I think) four iterations. Ed & Ted's Excellent Lighting became Q1 Productions then Epic Technologies before being purchased by 4Wall. I've seen the same "cable gland" s on Socapex multi-cable. (Perhaps in purple rather than orange, Solotech maybe?)
Epic_feeder_cable_gland.jpg

Sorry I don't have a source for either one, or even a proper name, but here's hoping the hive mind can assist in that.

EDIT: Found a vendor that looks like a combination of the two above. Key image search phrase was "cable ID markers".
proxy.php

http://www.so-calvalueadded.com/cable-holder.shtml
-----
To answer your question, "How do you ...", believe it or not, I've used good quality (read thicker than normal) 2" clear cello packing tape over the P-Touch label. It doesn't last forever, and I wouldn't use it in a lighting rental shop, but for cables that never leave the theatre and aren't handled daily, holds up fairly well. J-Lar is an expensive alternative to cello packing tape; not sure it comes in 2".
EDIT: Yes it does: http://www.filmtools.com/perjlarclear1.html .

Last edited:
We to a strip of e green e tape wrapped around, followed by color coded other strips to indicate length. Not perfect but works real well.

On 12/3 2P&G cable;

Vinyl electrical tape at each end for length. The colors are proprietary to us with no attempt to use what a big local shop might use (grin). Actually that's just an inherited color coding from before I started, so near 40 years now. We also put tie-line on the female end of 5 & 10 ft. cables, both ends of 25-50-75. Tie line is clove hitched and friction taped.

Thus and on the rare occasions our cable has gone out the building to another venue, it's really easy to see what's ours, as I've never seen anyone as diligent in tie-line on every cable.

as I've never seen anyone as diligent in tie-line on every cable.
While we were slow this winter we tested every single cable we had in stock, checked/retaped and re tie lined everything we have. On thicker gauges and longer lengths we've got tie line on both ends to manage the coil.

On 12/3 2P&G cable;

Vinyl electrical tape at each end for length. The colors are proprietary to us with no attempt to use what a big local shop might use (grin). Actually that's just an inherited color coding from before I started, so near 40 years now. We also put tie-line on the female end of 5 & 10 ft. cables, both ends of 25-50-75. Tie line is clove hitched and friction taped.

Thus and on the rare occasions our cable has gone out the building to another venue, it's really easy to see what's ours, as I've never seen anyone as diligent in tie-line on every cable.

Tell us your color code, and then I can tell if you stole (borrowed) it from Production Arts. :)

Cheers

ST

Tell us your color code, and then I can tell if you stole (borrowed) it from Production Arts.
You mean the one PA stole (borrowed) from Ithaca College? ;)

FWIW, now the most popular Cable length Color Code in the US, if not the world.

(Justin Case anyone wants to know: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/organizing-cable.20676/#post-188463 . It's not proprietary information, nor a trade secret, regadless of how closely it is kept.)

-----
I think some of these methods will work for my needs!
I'm glad we could be of assistance.

Another method not yet mentioned: Custom printed velcro ties in assorted colors. Rip-Tie is the most popular brand name; many substitutions are available and often acceptable.

Test-n-Tag labels, with pre-printed name and phone number.

(Not for big feeders, but for the stuff you have hundreds of)

I like how the colour code says 15' is 3m. That makes me 8'6" tall.

Last edited:
I just put notches in the insulation....
@Van Do you cut, route or burn the notches in or does your technique differ with thermo-plastic Vs. neoprene and rubber?
Do please elaborate upon your methods.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Our stagepin is all color-coded with e-tape. However lately, for edison, dmx, and powercon, I've been marking each connector on two sides with the length in white paint marker. I suppose that might wear off eventually in a busier venue, but it's made it pretty easy to figure out which cable we need at a glance.

Our stagepin is all color-coded with e-tape. However lately, for edison, dmx, and powercon, I've been marking each connector on two sides with the length in white paint marker. I suppose that might wear off eventually in a busier venue, but it's made it pretty easy to figure out which cable we need at a glance.
@Taniith Have you considered adding any manner of unique identifier per cable to speed sorting of cables within bundles?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Paint the split-pins (both ends) - Blue for 100s, red for 50s, green for 25s and leave the 10s black. The bill 'em for whatever isn't returned.

If you are using P-Touch printing, get the "Flexible" tape instead of the standard laminated stuff. Dymo also has a version that is Nylon tape. Both adhere to the cable quite nicely.
Here is a link for the p-touch tape http://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/tape-labels/cable-wire-id.aspx
I have been using clear silicone tape to go over markings on premade cables where I can't use heat shrink. I really hate e-tape because it looks pretty for a few months but then gets slimy and falls off after a year or two.
Use your favorite search engine and look for "clear silicone tape". There are many suppliers. This stuff is one of my goto repair items.
Here is something I have been using for doing a lot of cables at once:
https://www.panduit.com/en/products...out+imprint;sp_cs=UTF-8;x1=l3-title;x2=legend

When I am handling other people's cables I look to see what worked and what looks like crap.

I use 3:1 and 4:1 shrink ratio Clear Heat Shrink tubing from https://www.heatshrink.com/default.asp The 3:1 ratio will fit over round edison connectors and XLR connectors and shrink to 12/3 SJ or SO cable or sturdy data/scroller cables. The 4:1 tubing will fit over Stage Pin connectors and most Twistloc connectors. Give them a call and the sales staff can guide you to the correct tube diameters to purchase for various connector and cable sizes. You may need to measure the diameter of your cables if you don't use code compliant cable types and sizes; to ensure that the tubing will shrink securely to your cable stock.

I place colored E-tape for length at both ends of the cable (9" from the connector) and the Male end also gets a printed label with company name , month & year of manufacture, length, purpose and an inventory number. A 3" length of clear heat shrink to cover the colored tape at the female end and a 6" piece at the male end to cover the E-tape and the label. If you can purchase 100' spools, the price per foot drops about 60% from the 1' increment cut to order prices; the 3:1 and 4:1 clear tubing is not cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back