How do you store your Gobos?

You need to give us a slightly better idea of what scale of storage you need. Do you have ~100 gobos? Or do you have something more like 1000?

--Sean

I would say about 100.

How about going to the flea markets and finding some old 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" floppy disk storage containers.

I use the 5 1/4" to store sanding disks for my 5" random orbital sander. I think the 3 1/2" storage containers might hold gobos.

I second the cd case, we've always just made them from an old binder and those plastic windowed sleeves, like the kind for baseball cards. just find ones large enough for the gobos. we'd then make a photo copy of the gobo and slide it in so that if the sleeve ends up empty we know what goes there.

in a horrible pile underneath all our equally unsorted gels. vaguely divided into cubies by type (shapes, architectural objects, odd pictures, other)

I do have a scan of every gobo and photo of a cyc with all our gels in a powerpoint that i can take to production meetings.

i've been looking at various solutions, thinking about binder sleeves.

We use envelopes in one place, plastic cd sleeves in another, and a third venue uses 3x5 notecard boxes. Like this:
proxy.php

Case Logic CD cases.
But, last season the gaffers was brought to set(school scene lots of background) and someone walked off with it. Did the thief know they were gobos, or were they hoping for music?

I store gobos the cheapest way possible, and then buy more gobos with the money I saved.

I just use the plastic sleeve they come in when we purchase them. On the top I write the gobo number, and then file them numerically in a small box. You probably have a small box that would work perfectly. I think I've even used a Pop-Tarts box before.

I have tried to do a lot of different gobo storage systems, and this is the one I like best. CD binders have worked ok, but when you're looking at 100+ gobos, you will accumulate a lot of binders. Or just a small box or two.

Looks like bargain if I had to buy 150 gobos at once...

Kelite specified empty or filled. I would venture a guess that it's not the same price empty.

Kelite specified empty or filled. I would venture a guess that it's not the same price empty.

It is still a rather good deal though. Roughly 20 extra free* gobos and a free* handy box to keep them in when not in use.

*Free as in you've just bought an USD $1725 MSRP box with 150 gobos and a box for them.

It is still a rather good deal though. Roughly 20 extra free* gobos and a free* handy box to keep them in when not in use.

*Free as in you've just bought an USD $1725 MSRP box with 150 gobos and a box for them.

Sorry for my absence, company meetings with KC Hooper and Rich Dale in the house! Woohoo!

The 150 pc Black Box gobo special equates to $11.40 per steel standard pattern, discounted from $13.25 MSRP. These ship with a free Black Box for your venue's storage needs.

A smaller 75 pc Black Box gobo special will be announced for 2012-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back