Mixers/Consoles How do you turn on the "post fade monitor" setting on a LS9 Yahmaha sound system?

I'm a newer person to my high schools sound board. We have a LS9 Yahmaha sound board mixer. We are having monotor problems. The troubleshooting assistants said to turn on the " post fade monotor setting". How do I go about doing this?

re: How do you turn on the "post fade monitor" setting on a LS9 Yahmaha sound system?

When I use a monotor for our director, it sends some people loudly, other softly, some not at all. I'm looking for a harmony of equality. We called a guy from Accent in Pittsburg, PA. He recommended the post fade setting.

re: How do you turn on the "post fade monitor" setting on a LS9 Yahmaha sound system?

Sounds like you might have some gain structure inconsistency issues. The next time you sound check, compare the level on the channel meter to the input of each channel to see if that is it.

You can always just lower the individual channels in that mix to be more consistent. Double tap the number of that mix to activate "Sends on Fader" mode for that mix. Raise or lower the faders as needed for your problem channels. Hit "Home" to return you to your main mix.

Just a couple thoughts. I hope they help. If you give us some more info, we are happy to help.

~Dave

They only way this can happen is if the microphone channel is not muted, or if they are being picked up by another microphone near by that is on and routed to the mix. Be sure to mute the mics as they exit the stage. If you are using the scene memories, double check that the mutes for each scene are programmed properly.

I use to have an old operator who would just turn the fader down on each channel instead of muting. this does not prevent the channel from being send down a pre fade aux send, and is just bad policy generally speaking.

~Dave

So you recommend turning off the mic on my board? That's what I do. How would you go about sending (for example: my lead roles on stage plus side cast) through his mono. The mono has a volume switch. Usually the mono only picks up maybe 1 or 2 side cast. I sent each mic through the mono by selecting it, scrolling over to pre 1, under my screen area, it was a red nob. Used the big black scrolling nob, set EACH mic to -26.10. It rarely picked up the necessary people. Any tips?

I do believe it is on pre. Sorry, your last remark seemed unnecessarily smart. I may have miss read, apologies. I do mute the mics when they are offstage. Like I said, the professional I had inspect today recommended post, but he was not familiar with my system.

I am not necessarily clear as to how you are sending the signal to them, or how the board is set up. If you want to email me you Studio Manager file, I'd be happy to look at it and offer, perhaps, more directly useful comments.

In general, I would use an omni our set up as a post fade aux send to send your signal. With more info, I could offer more assistance I believe.

~Dave

I am not necessarily clear as to how you are sending the signal to them, or how the board is set up. If you want to email me you Studio Manager file, I'd be happy to look at it and offer, perhaps, more directly useful comments.

In general, I would use an omni our set up as a post fade aux send to send your signal. With more info, I could offer more assistance I believe.

~Dave
Well I'll have to wait for that matter. I currently will not have access to our systems laptop. Due to the governor of Ohio delivering his state address at my school. Thank you though. Thank you both.

I would suggest setting your monitor mix sends to pre fade. Turn the channels off to prevent them from feeding to FOH or monitors when not in use. Rather than cursoring over to the on screen mix send controls, if you double click the mix send buttons it will take you into sends on fader mode. Then you can set the level by using the faders. Maybe a bit faster than your current technique, but whatever works best for you...
Thanks! I'll definitely try this! It sounds ALOT quicker than my current method

They only way this can happen is if the microphone channel is not muted, or if they are being picked up by another microphone near by that is on and routed to the mix. Be sure to mute the mics as they exit the stage. If you are using the scene memories, double check that the mutes for each scene are programmed properly.

I use to have an old operator who would just turn the fader down on each channel instead of muting. this does not prevent the channel from being send down a pre fade aux send, and is just bad policy generally speaking.
Many people, including many pros, prefer to use the faders or to at least fade in and out of mutes. There are several good reasons for this such as muting and unmuting resulting in audible changes or how the channel mutes interact with mute groups or scenes. In fact, I have seen some respected theater mixers argue that muting is poor practice, so I really think it is a matter of finding what works best for your mixing style and the application.

Along those lines, while on the LS9 I believe that both pre and post fader signals are affected by the channel mute (or actually 'on' in this case rather than mute), some mixing consoles are configured, or can be configured, for the post-fader and/or pre-fader aux send signals to be pre-mute. In those cases a pre-fader or even post-fader aux send signal may still be present even when the channel is muted. A good example of why it can be important to understand the differences and how any particular console operates.

And thanks to bishopthomas for noting that "mono" has a generally accepted use in audio and that using it to reference monitors was making things more difficult to read and easily misinterpreted.

Many people, including many pros, prefer to use the faders or to at least fade in and out of mutes. There are several good reasons for this such as muting and unmuting resulting in audible changes or how the channel mutes interact with mute groups or scenes. In fact, I have seen some respected theater mixers argue that muting is poor practice, so I really think it is a matter of finding what works best for your mixing style and the application.

Clearly the lowering of faders is NOT working in this situations. Hence his issues. They are a relatively inexperienced high school situation by their own admission.

~Dave

I typically do not mute channels and just use the faders. I also do not put the actors' mics in the foldback. Every director I've ever worked with has been very adamant about projection and getting it right "off the mic." In this case, however, I would be inclined to agree with Dave, muting will be the easiest option for an unexperienced sound person. As long as mics aren't swapped or moved the faders should be fairly well set (to a certain extent) and turning them on or off as the actors enter/exit the stage should be most of the work.
Actually, the way my high school auditorium is set up, the "pit" is directly below the house speakers, thus making it very difficult for my director to hear the singers with all of the musical instruments around him. Also, the faders do aant work. The mute button is more effective than the faders. And yes, the LS9 DOES have a post on. Today, we had a Proffesional who put our system in show me the post on switch. So it IS possible. If you are not willing to answer the questions, and make an attempt to make myself or anyone else on this forum dumb or inexperienced, just leave. Yes, I know I'm only in high school, but I probably have more experience with MY system than you. Also, I would KNOW what does and DOES NOT work. For, I have tried your obvious methods, which for the record, we're ineffective. Sorry, this was not meant for you bishopthomas, it was meant for everyone. My high school is NOT inexperienced, I was just thrown in the dark. The last person who knew the soundboard graduated my freshman and I didn't know I was going to be stuck doing it.the last 2 people have become professionals from Capital University. So tell that to your "inexperience"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the hostility towards Bishop. Someone is trying to help you based on the information you have provided. If it seems like the responses have been common sense or simple, it's because that is the easiest place to start. You have to start ruling things out and now that you have tried them and they didn't work, you can move onto the next step of ruling out potential causes. Attitude isn't going to make the help flow, it's going to make people not want to respond. Sure you probably know your set up better but everyone who has commented here has a wealth of knowledge and because they can't physically see or hear what's going on in your space, they are shooting in the dark until they can get a sense of what is really going on and help pin point the problem and solution.

I don't get the hostility towards Bishop. Someone is trying to help you based on the information you have provided. If it seems like the responses have been common sense or simple, it's because that is the easiest place to start. You have to start ruling things out and now that you have tried them and they didn't work, you can move onto the next step of ruling out potential causes. Attitude isn't going to make the help flow, it's going to make people not want to respond. Sure you probably know your set up better but everyone who has commented here has a wealth of knowledge and because they can't physically see or hear what's going on in your space, they are shooting in the dark until they can get a sense of what is really going on and help pin point the problem and solution.
I understand this, but the hostility and the "talking-down" upon myself, my knowledge, and my schools experience is not professional or a helping manner. It is as if the point of the remark is to be disrespectful. The last remark from myself was towards everyone, it just happened to be from his quote. I understand that it is a shot in the dark. I accept this. I am sorry for getting an attitude, but do not talk down upon me. I simply asked a question of how to turn on a function and I am receiving completely different answers and attitude. I appreciate the attempts in helping. You four have my gratitude. Let's just start fresh again.

A professional from Accent in PA recommended post fade monitor to fix my problem. When in a production, I use scene memory if this affects it in anyway, to recall the mics on stage. Everyone else is turned off, or muted. But, the mics on are not being received in my monitor I have placed. Now, myself and my director ran a test, him in the balcony with the board, myself by the monitor. I believe he just used the fader, not muting the mic, but when the fader was down, I could hear his voice. When the fader was up, I could not. Any help? I promise to not give attitude, only gratitude and humbleness

The other posters here are trying to provide you with actual solutions which cut to the actual issue instead of just giving you information which won't really help out. If you want to find out where a button on a desk is go RTFM, but that won't tell you how to fix your problems.

You can't get upset for bishop calling you amateur where in your first post you suggest you're new at this. Likewise running through basics isn't the same as talking down to you. A lack of experience doesn't equate a like of intelligence.

//Ah I remember when I was 15 with something to prove...

The other posters here are trying to provide you with actual solutions which cut to the actual issue instead of just giving you information which won't really help out. If you want to find out where a button on a desk is go RTFM, but that won't tell you how to fix your problems.

You can't get upset for bishop calling you amateur where in your first post you suggest you're new at this. Likewise running through basics isn't the same as talking down to you. A lack of experience doesn't equate a like of intelligence.

//Ah I remember when I was 15 with something to prove...
Congratulations on you rememberence. I apologized. I moved on. Quit remembering your youth. EVERYONE has something to prove. I get it. I made a personal mistake, that's been shown by the others here HELPING, not just posting to prove my fault. I get it. Now please don't comment unles you have some helpful information for my use. I know I'm only 15, I am amateur. And I realized my fault. If you wanna bring age in to this, oh so "old" one as your implying by your remembering of being 15, you should know young teenagers make mistakes and do not think over.things before acting. That's all I did. I realized this and tried to make amends here. Hopefully bishop and Dave will accept my apology, as I'm trying to show I do require their knowledge, as they probably do have more experience with sound and audio issues than myself. So if you have nothing better to do than point out a 15 year olds error, who is trying to make something of himself and just help make for better shows and help a director, then you sir, are a sad, sad person.

As for bishopthomas, as I stated, my problems are confusing for me. I swear to my word, that I will respect your guidance. What should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back