The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

How does this work?

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by toyboyt122, Mar 10, 2008.

1. toyboyt122

toyboyt122 Member

I've done some work at the Barter Theatre, and they have a very odd setup for a wireless com. Somehow they use motorola walkies, and have them connected to the clear-com system. When a walkie transmits, it is heard on all wired coms. In order to talk to the walkies though, you must hold both the call light and mic buttons.

Has anyone seen this anywhere else, or can anyone explain to me how this works and/or how you would go about setting this up? Needless to say that someone has gotten very inventive for sure.

2. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

I believe this is in fact proof that some part of theatre simply can best be explained by magic. Actually I'd really like to hear how this works (especially the call and talk button part).

3. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stageline Operator/Staging Supervisor
  4. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator Premium Member

Radio Engineer
    Chances are they're using a box like the one Phil posted above. PI also makes a real repeater type one that actually transmits all the time so that HT users can hear everything. This costs a fair amount though.

BTW, what type of Motorola radio's are they using? Are they the black, built-like-a-brick ones, or the colorful plastic ones they sell at Best Buy?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  5. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

That has to be one of the worst ideas ever...

6. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

It's a stock ClearCom item.

Edit: Link fixed.

7. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

bad link, drop the second http//

edit: now fixed. hurrah

8. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

well that's rather anti climactic but still a very cool thing to have

9. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator Premium Member

Radio Engineer
    I haven't used the repeater first-hand, but it seems like it's a pretty good solution for users who really just need to monitor the com and occasionally transmit. Definitely not a good solution for an SM or ASM, but maybe for a dresser or similar role backstage.

Of course, the radio would be fitted with a headset.

10. toyboyt122

toyboyt122 Member

They use the black ones, not the home use ones.

They're used by backstage crew largely when they have a set piece that moves by being pushed, but a crew member gets trapped onstage with it. Or when its just not practical to have a wire trailing you. Though they switch to wired anytime pyro or flys gets involved.

11. BNBSound

BNBSound Active Member

You can do wireless monitoring from most com head units. Anything larger than a simple power supply has an output jack on the back for feeding a monitor system. It's a simple matter of matching the impedance to the mic input of a radio with voice activated TX. My Clear-Com also has a separate jack for paging, which means you can press a separate button to talk to the dressing rooms (or in my case the guys with radios) and that way only what you need them to hear goes out, instead of every single word on coms, saves the batteries. I've heard of people splicing things together with a pair of HTs and some crafty adapter soldering but unless you really know what you're doing, it's best to buy the box. Clear-Com, PI and Telex all make radio interface devices, as well as the radio companies like iCom and Morotola, etc. Cool stuff.