How Far can I Remote CO2

np18358

I am doing a show with a sustained low-lying effect, and we are using a Le Maitre LSG connected to a G300. Because we need a very long effect, we need a 350 lb dewar. The problem is that we don't have space to hold that offstage. I know you can remote the CO2 bottles, but how far. I would like to put the dewar 30' up on the (spacious) flyrail, but is that too far?

As long as you use a hose or pipe that can take the PSI of the Co2 I don't see why not. It might take a little longer to build pressure. And label it well so people don't pull , push, kick, step, run into it. Last thing you want is a Co2 leak.

The real question is how are you going to get a 350lb tank up to the rail. The dewars aren't that big they are roughly as wide as the chiller and not that big around.

I've run Co2 hoses 50-75' no problem. As mentioned before, you need rated hose. I use Parker Hannifin 540N-6 with no issues (bought at any distributor who sells hydraulic hose).

On the dewar, be sure to tap in to the liquid port.

You WILL need that freight elevator. Dewars are heavy and extremely unwieldy. Try to borrow their tank dolly as well. Your regular dolly probably won't cut it and the dewar tanks can't be "rolled" like a 50lb tank.

Long runs Should not be an issue for your application. They become problematic with cryo jets, because in between bursts, in a few minutes the liquid turns to gas it takes 4-5 seconds or more to clear the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back