How many dimmers, Chino?

We gave students enough time, correct? If not, please delete this.

There are 6 dimmers in the blue box [I believe] but do not know the manufacturer.

The two black packs are LMI or ETC [depending on year made] L86 portable packs. If you have ever carried one, you question the term, "portable." Based on the fact that there are 20A stage pin plugs laying on top of them, I would guess they are either 12x20A dimmers or 24x10A dimmers. Hard to tell from the pics, but I think there are breakers on the modules both on the left side and the center which lends it to 10A dimmers.

As such, I venture that there are a total of 54 dimmers.

The blue box does indeed have 6 dimmers, with two female 20A 2P&G receptacles per dimmer. This unit is a "Luxtrol" made by Superior Electric. A similar unit was manufactured by Altman, using Luxtrol dimmers. However, that unit had the outlet panel on the back, had a seventh handle as a master, and used shorter plastic "knob" handles rather than the multi-colored tubular plastic handlles supplied by Superior. The capacity of the dimmers cannot be determined since we can't read the breaker ratings. They could be either 2500W or 3600w each. Wait, you say--how could a 3600W (30A) dimmer be connected to a 20A outlet without a supplementary overcurrent protective device? Hah, what's 10A between friends? In those days (1960-1972, approx) we clearly didn't worry much about such trivialities.

ST

A similar unit was manufactured by Altman, using Luxtrol dimmers. However, that unit had the outlet panel on the back, had a seventh handle as a master, and used shorter plastic "knob" handles rather than the multi-colored tubular plastic handles supplied by Superior.
Like this?
proxy.php

I thought those handles were exclusive to Ward-Leonard (Our wiki entry for dimmer, autotransformer notwithstanding). Every W-L ATD installation I've ever seen has had them. The T-handle made it especially easy to determine whether or not a particular channel was assigned to the Grandmaster or was shielded (to use modern terminology).

6 of the resistance style in the top of the picture.
As @Scenemaster60 stated, they are dimmer, autotransformer, not dimmer, resistance.

Last edited:
OK, nostalgia time, Alvin Ailey toured with 4 similar units, yep 24 dimmers for some very impressive lighting. They toured with a board op/truck driver and LD. The board op manned two of the units and two of us each ran a single one. They had a distro which was based on a bull switch, but instead of the usual lever, they had one with a giant rocker switch. For the one essential black out the board op shifted his leg back and stomped on the rocker. Holy arc flash potential.

Like this?
proxy.php

I thought those handles were exclusive to Ward-Leonard (Our wiki entry for dimmer, autotransformer notwithstanding). Every W-L ATD installation I've ever seen has had them. The T-handle made it especially easy to determine whether or not a particular channel was assigned to the Grandmaster or was shielded (to use modern terminology).

Could be, but they were coupled to Luxtrol D3600 dimmers in the Altman unit.

ST

Several people have hinted at it.
Anita, West Side Story.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Okay, I'll ask: The L-86's or the Luxtrols?

Oh, both no doubt. I was visiting Steve one day and he had 2 massive AutoTransformer dimmer stacks (I think Luxtrol), I think 3 big 6 or 12 Kw units that had come out of one of the Broadway theaters where they served as house light control. It stood about 3 ft high and had a wheel on top. Cheaper to have Steve fix than update to digital. And I KNOW he has a big LMI rolling 96 rack in the shop. You never know whose going to need parts .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back