How much glove would 6x9 burn if a 6x9 could burn glove?

I had some old 360's at my high school. I got a little money together and purchased the reflector upgrade kit. It was great. The old reflectors were smooth where the upgrades were the "Planar Rectangles". It was amazing how much brighter they were after the upgrade.

You know, another part of why S4's are cooler which is an indirect , but intentional side effect of improved optics is the mount of "spill" inside the barrel itself. Since more of the light is getting shot straight down the barrel the body of the instrument doesn't get quite as hot. That was always a good side effect of a properly bench focused 360q the better the focus the less flare on the inside of the barrel, cooler operation.

And oh yeah, My first year in college, someone left a Colortran leko standing on on of the seating risers. For some reason it was plugged in. Someone turn on the board and ran up several channels, about two minutes later this awful smell filled the theatre. The colortran had burn a 1/2" deep 2" diameter hole through the linoleum covering and into the plywood under-layment.

Again correct me if I'm wrong... Isn't the point of the S4 cooler light, as in less I.R. is emitted. Not that the body of the instrument itself is cooler. Shouldn't the body actually be warmer than an older aluminum reflector instrument with most of the I.R. being passed directly into the body around the reflector?

Isn't the point of the S4 cooler light, as in less I.R. is emitted. Not that the body of the instrument itself is cooler. Shouldn't the body actually be warmer than an older aluminum reflector instrument with most of the I.R. being passed directly into the body around the reflector?

Yep! Yet both statements are true! A fixture can dump it's heat in a number of ways:
1) The body gets hot.
2) Convection- hot air comes out.
3) As output through the lens.
The best way is through convection. Using a Diachronic mirror, heat is diverted from the lens by not being reflected there to begin with. Proper ventilation allows this heat to leave as hot air (as compared to the body getting hot), or using a "heat sink" radiator. So, we know that some heat is going to end up in the beam. If it is aligned right, there is little splash inside and what heat remains does leave through the lens. (or so it would work in a perfect world!)
Priorities are:
1) Don't make the heat to begin with! (future light source development.)
2) Don't make the heat part of the beam! (Diachronic reflectors, transferring heat to the air and good ventilation.)
3) Get all of the beam out of the light! (Minimize light wasted by splash back or absorbed by lenses.)
The S4 is a great start! I can't wait for the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back