How NOT to re-wire your lights.

I think Derek brought in black painted step lenses unrelated to 264/263, and I don't think we ever said that the Fresnel had black risers.

Todays useless piece of information- when the risers of a fresnel lens are painted black it is said to be "colouvred" it is supposed to reduce side spill.
In the US, I believe we would say/spell it as "co-louvered." Fresnel lenses in the US with black painted risers were rare but not impossible, although most had a pebble or hex finish on the flat side to further soften/diffuse the beam. For a time, particularly with 8"+ ERSs, the P.C. lens was too expensive, heavy, prone to breakage so step lenses were introduced. Kliegl in particular was notorious for putting them in every ERS. At least Century, Altman, and Capitol only used them where they had to. In theory, removing the unneeded glass should lead to higher transmission. In practice, since the risers needed to be coated in black ceramic paint to control errant spillage, ERSs with step (stepped) lenses projected a bulls-eye target onstage. And R119, 132, and 140 hadn't been invented yet.

As a matter of record the 263 was a fresnel profile, I boght, sold and used them for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back