How NOT to re-wire your lights.

We pulled all the soft shutters from our 264, personally they irritate me and they have an awful look when put in line with the beam, they are very much a comb effect and i don't believe they soften the beam at all. The Strand 263's were the brother of the 264 and were sold without the second soft shutters however did have provisions in the light gate to be added in, the 263's are even worse than the 264's. we still have about 10 of each in one of our venues and will drag them out occasionally and be absolutely shocked that people used to light a show with them!!!

If you focus onto the hard shutters then the comb shutters are out of focus and are soft, of course if you focus onto the soft shutters you get a useless comb effect.The next lamp from Strand-Century was the awful 764 which had the 264 gate stuck into a US inspired profile, this was the point where I stopped dealing with Strand.

Greenia would be excited, practically everything at my school is antique.
Charlie, dear; something has to be at least older than you to be considered antique.:) I'd arbitrarily put the cut-off at 25 years (Theatrically Lighting speaking), so only maybe your EDI Scrimmer™ system applies, and that's questionable. Found a "Date of Manufacture" on it yet?

...The next lamp from Strand-Century was the awful 764 which had the 264 gate stuck into a US inspired profile, this was the point where I stopped dealing with Strand.
Congratulations on, in 1979?, insulting both Century-Strand and the US all in one statement.:) And they ain't "US-inspired profiles"; they's Lekos, or LekoLights!

Charlie, dear; something has to be at least older than you to be considered antique.:) I'd arbitrarily put the cut-off at 25 years (Theatrically Lighting speaking), so only maybe your EDI Scrimmer™ system applies, and that's questionable. Found a "Date of Manufacture" on it yet?

I'll not even justify a response to this comment.

Sorry I thought Leko was US.

If you focus onto the hard shutters then the comb shutters are out of focus and are soft, of course if you focus onto the soft shutters you get a useless comb effect.The next lamp from Strand-Century was the awful 764 which had the 264 gate stuck into a US inspired profile, this was the point where I stopped dealing with Strand.

Life is so simple in the USA: we went from the Altman 360Q to the Source Four.

Period.

ST

The reason why ellipsoidals never took off in the 240volt countries was that there was no 240 volt lamp which was viable in these lumineres,short life, delicate to focus and prone to bulging and jamming in the reflector, they were only used in rock situations where they were specs by touring bands, I have a pile of Altman bits ready for re-cycling.

Ellipsoid refers to the reflector design, ellipsoidal, parabolic or spherical or a combination of either, the ellipsoid type suits the axial lamp but not the base down "T" class lamps.One US manufacturer once produced a parelipspere or some similar name which was the great selling point, but died in the market place.

Ah, yes, the old Parellipshere, which still graces the theater of my high school. Made by Electro-Controls, takes an EGG I know, and I think EHG and...EGM? The last one's probably wrong, I just pulled it off the top of my head.

...EGM? The last one's probably wrong, I just pulled it off the top of my head.
The EGM is the longer life 1000W, and produces 84% of the output of the standard, brightest avaailable lamp, the 1000W EGJ.

I want to reply to something said but dont know how to quote someone so I shall keep my comments to myself hehe

DIY Re-wiring jobs by people with no experience is never going to end well me thinks

Last edited:
So now do I have to start calling spotlights with axially mounted lamps and ellipsoidal reflectors ERS's and spotlights with base down lamps and "modified" reflectors profiles? What should I call spotlights with radially mounted lamps? Radials? Top-Loaders? Weren't the American spotlights with axially mounted lamps Ellipsoidal? Isn't a base down lamp radially mounted anyway? Mind you, American hasn't had true "ellipsoidal" spotlights for years, ever since companies came out with "double-flatted" reflectors, there has been a continued search to find which modifications to the reflector produce best light output. I think this is almost too much a fine point, saying that 240V countries never had popular ellipsoidal spots just doesn't make much sense to me. I'm sorry, but this is trying to define a gray area I doubt we could ever agree upon. For what its worth, Selecon makes an Axial Ellipsoidal, the Acclaim. Essentially, what it comes down to is what it does, and all "Ellipsoidals" do essentially the same thing. (Note I say essentially and not exactly, some are better than others, no doubt there) They have a beam adjustable from soft to hard, that allows for the projection of images and control through the use of shutters.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, it's not like I'm trying to force you to change it or anything, these are just my thoughts on the matter.

The Selecon axial is a relatively new design made possible with the new generation of Phillips lamps.It is a simple fact that the 240 volt countries use the T series, mainly base down lamps, this is beginning to change as a new range of axial lamps are available.There is no real reason to call profiles, ellipsoidals, except it sounds more technical or parcans parabolicals or fresnels ,sphericals or cyc lights assymetricals, it's just common usage, nothing to worry about.

The 263 is not a Fresnel lesed spotlight - the only difference between a 263 and a 264 is that the 263 has the single hard cut-off shutters and the 264 has the hard and soft shutters known as a bifocal. You could order both version with a fresnel lens in which case they are designated as 263F or 264F. You could also order bot in a wide angle version in which case they were designated as 263W or 264W. The fresnel lens was never painted with black light control rings. The steped lens I suspect is being refered to has the usual curved fron with the back cut away in steps. This is really really old lens technology and is due to the poor glass and difficulty of making lenses and a way to reduce weight. when Strand sold a profile spot with a fresnel lens it was identical to the fresnel lens you would get when you bought a fresnel

The 263 is not a Fresnel lesed spotlight - the only difference between a 263 and a 264 is that the 263 has the single hard cut-off shutters and the 264 has the hard and soft shutters known as a bifocal. You could order both version with a fresnel lens in which case they are designated as 263F or 264F. You could also order bot in a wide angle version in which case they were designated as 263W or 264W. The fresnel lens was never painted with black light control rings. The steped lens I suspect is being refered to has the usual curved fron with the back cut away in steps. This is really really old lens technology and is due to the poor glass and difficulty of making lenses and a way to reduce weight. when Strand sold a profile spot with a fresnel lens it was identical to the fresnel lens you would get when you bought a fresnel

In regards to the 264/263,I was just going off what I've read on CB and learned from Strand Archive.

I think Derek brought in black painted step lenses unrelated to 264/263, and I don't think we ever said that the Fresnel had black risers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back