How Not To Use an Equalizer

An important aspect left out in that video is that ringing out an empty stage does not reflect the conditions during actual use and factors like a singer who cups the mic can make a tremendous difference on feedback. It also did not address that feedback can be caused by, or changed by, issues that cannot be fixed via equalization. But most important, it should be stressed that mic and speaker selection and placement should be your first choice in addressing feedback with EQ being the sort of the last option.

It really helped me when I started to recognize that equalization is actually typically addressing several different things. You may apply equalization to address a speaker's response. You may be addressing some specific issues caused by reflections off nearby surfaces or the effect of the room or interactions with other speakers. You may be trying to increase gain before feedback. And you may want to get a desired subjective sound. Each of these is actually addressing different issues and I think that understanding that you are actually potentially addressing multiple things when you EQ can go a long way to properly approaching and applying equalization. That is also why tools such as Smaart and SysTune can be so useful as they can give input on the actual cause of some of the issues and may suggest better ways to approach them rather than with EQ.

Come on, seriously if you have to do that much work to the EQ........STOP MIC'ING THE MONITORS!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back