How the did the special effects in Illusionist/Prestige

SHARYNF

Don't know how many of the members here have seen these flick but it is fun to realize that these illusions were done from a historical perspective in front of live audiences. Don't know if anyone is interested in starting a discussion on how these types of illusions are accomplished

Sharyn

Alot of them were actually very simple tricks, just with more showy things added. Get the book, The Prestige, and it actually explains alot of main ideas of magic. Really nifty read. Other than that though, magicians are basically techies that are showmen to. they rely on effects and distractions in order to hide other things that are really going on. Deception and illisuin. Nothing that a good lighting designer or set builder doesnt use. Other than that, slow down the movie when it comes out, i noticed alot of things from the camera angles in the theater that are big tip ins as to how things are done... BTW..im not going to give up any secrets...

I would, but I know nothing on the topic (and I haven't seen the Prestige)...

For people interested in staging and a pretty good story both of them are interesting to watch
Sharyn

Guess I'll have to borrow the book- it prob'ly won't come out on DVD/VHS for awhile yet. Yessss...I'll do that in a few minutes. 'cause I'm totally at school right now, mwahaha.

Sharyn-

Well, one of the illusions we are explained outright, how the main character whose name escapes me right now has a double for the ball catching trick. Many others such as the bird in cage trick are also explaind, although in less detail. However the huge sparking cloning thing that Tesla built still makes no sense to me. I mean yeah, it clones him, but how freaky. I saw it not to long ago with a few stagehand friends and we spent the greater part of 2 hours in the car ride back from the theater and in my loft discussing the different ways the plot could of have unfolded. As you remember, the audience is still left pretty much in the dark at the end of the film.

I second what you said about how everyone interested in stage craft should see it. It is a pretty wild film, really blew my mind.

If you get a chance make sure you see the Illusionist also, gives you another set of tricks to look at

Sharyn

Oh it's all just smoke and mirrors !
:mrgreen:

And special people who know how to properly use the special smoke and special mirrors!

And special people who know how to properly use the special smoke and special mirrors!
*Magic smoke and *magic mirrors you mean...

(I believe in fairies!! I believe, I believe in Tinkerbell!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back